xisto Community
_______jesh________

Computer

iam new in front of computer can some body describe me how many tipes of operating system are there plz i need your help i want to know diffrence betwwen linux and window and solaris system also i want to know about apple systemsi also want to buy a new compute but iam completely confused because i really dont know which tipe of computer i purchase i also dont know more aboout computers please help me out i neeed your help thanks iam waiting for reply friends ok thanks for it

Each computer has his set of operating systems running on it, and each computer has his set of prices.You should probably first know what you will need, for professional purposes or for gaming pruposes. Then, you should know how much money you want tu put on it.

In short:Windows: runs on every x86 computer, this is what you'll find the most. Windows is most spread and most apps are available for it (but so are the problems with security). Windows will also work on an IntelMac.MacOS: This will only run on a Mac (Apple). Not as widespread as windows, but it's loved for safety, looks and graphic design software. Linux: Free and runs on everything. These are available in distributions like Suse, Fedore, Ubuntu ... Every distribution runs on the same core, but is configured differently and comes with different applications. It's the cheapest solution, but a steeper learning curve if you ask me.Solaris: dunno about this one, runs on Sun and is a server OS.

If you really know nothing about computers, get a PC with windows. It's an operating system made for those who fit the profile you just described.{cringe}Yikes! I use windows too.

Statistically, I have seen many more computer newbies purchase Windows-based computers. Their decisions was, however, not based on the simplicity of Windows (which, unfortunately, is actually rather cumbersome to use for the beginner), but based on the relative price and market share of the Windows and Intel match-up (before AMD came into the picture). But from the few people I have seen purchase Macintoshes, I must admit that for the begininner, the MacOS is far more intuitive and easier to learn than the Microsoft Windows family. As a bonus, it is more elegant and appears more gorgeous to the eye. I wouldn't mind getting one myself.Although I say that the MacOS has a relatively easier user-interface to navigate, I am a stronger proponent of purchasing Windows-based systems. Be forewarned that my reasons for such are largely irrational, but more based on personal preference. I view Windows as being more configurable and accompanied by an immensely wider selection of software. It is also more complicated to use, which requries a better understanding (although not much) of computers to work through issues. This may be a good or a bad aspect of the operating system. Moreover, I feel psychologically more comfortable wiping out Windows from an AMD/Intel computer and installing Linux or whatever than doing the same to an Apple computer. If I invest in expensive Apple hardware and software, I cannot get myself to remove either one.Sorry for the verbose commentaries, but in short, I think you should select an operating system (Windows or Mac) based on your personal preference. I would, however, shy away from Linux as a beginner. Leave the Linux as your next or third operating system, as you become more adept with the concept of user interfaces and more comfortable with manipulating diverse forms of software.

Statistically, I have seen many more computer newbies purchase Windows-based computers.

Yes, but this is changing. I start seeing Linux systems sold in supermarket at about $300, Inernet-ready. Why Linux ? Because if you don't have to pay the Windows Operating system, you can have it cheaper. And some distro's like Knoppix are "naturally" ready for surfing on the Web without much effort.

Yes, but this is changing. I start seeing Linux systems sold in supermarket at about $300, Inernet-ready. Why Linux ? Because if you don't have to pay the Windows Operating system, you can have it cheaper. And some distro's like Knoppix are "naturally" ready for surfing on the Web without much effort.

Not overhere, I haven't seen any computer that came with linux installed (or maybe one or two) in our supermarkets (Carrefour, GB, Aldi, Makro, ...). The best chance to find a computer with linux is in a computer shop. But yes, windows is most userfriendly, it even comes with a 'slap in the face' feature that learns you to regulary back-up important data :)

In short:
Windows: runs on every x86 computer, this is what you'll find the most. Windows is most spread and most apps are available for it (but so are the problems with security). Windows will also work on an IntelMac.

MacOS: This will only run on a Mac (Apple). Not as widespread as windows, but it's loved for safety, looks and graphic design software.

Linux: Free and runs on everything. These are available in distributions like Suse, Fedore, Ubuntu ... Every distribution runs on the same core, but is configured differently and comes with different applications. It's the cheapest solution, but a steeper learning curve if you ask me.

Solaris: dunno about this one, runs on Sun and is a server OS.

I know that for his purposes, this probably doesn't matter, but now that Macs are going intel, windows can be run on mac computers and the Mac OS can be run on windows computers.

There are literally hundreds, maybe thousands of operating systems, mostly developed as little projects by noobs. Some reasonably big ones not mentioned here (probably because they're not an option), are the GEM based ones, NextStep, BeOS, Amiga. You don't want to know about these, trust me :)"Not overhere, I haven't seen any computer that came with linux installed (or maybe one or two) in our supermarkets (Carrefour, GB, Aldi, Makro, ...)"Computers are sold in supermarkets? ("Buy one get one free, aisle five!")

I am not familiar with the particular Carrefour stores in the Nederlands or Belgie. But in the other countries where I have seen them, I would say that some can be compared to a Wal-Mart with a grocery section, akin to a more mainstream Costco or Sam's Club. And as far as I can recall Wal-Mart was positioning itself to sell budget computers (although it has been ages since I last stepped into a store). If I am not mistaken, some of these were to be based on the Linspire operating system, which is a derivative of Linux.

Edited by webintern (see edit history)

I know that for his purposes, this probably doesn't matter, but now that Macs are going intel, windows can be run on mac computers and the Mac OS can be run on windows computers.

Where can I find a MacOS distro that will run on a PC?

This is going to very diffiuclt to undertstand, so I reccommend you phone up your local coputershop, who will be able to give you more assistance, but don't buy anything until you have checked here.Sometimes they even charge for Microsot Office Free Trials and may charge for a link to Linux, or something else ridiculous.Apart from that they should be able to be a lot easier to understand because you can address your questions very quickly.All the best,The Mafamba Team !!

It all comes to what you want. For me, I'm a UNIX advocate and love to see more people on UNIX because it's the safest and the most powerful OS in existence today.Anyways, using Windows should only be purchased if you have to use an application that is Windows-only, else I recommend getting a Mac.If you don't want a Mac, I recommend slapping on PCBSD or SuSE Linux because they are powerful and easy to use.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/