xisto Community
Grafitti

Raid 1 Array question...

I want to implement a RAID 1 array in my computer with 2 80 GB drives. However, after reading a bit, (maybe the wrong stuff) I ended up at the point that Windows XP Professional does not support mirroring. I'm not interested in the other forms of RAID to increase performance. with the power outages all the time my primary concern is backing up the data. So is it true that mirroring is not available with XP Pro?

There is a way to make a software-RAID1 on XP, you simply have to let it belief it's something better :) .
Everything is explained overhere: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ .
Just remember, backups and everything's at own risk :)

P.s. if you create a RAID1 using a hardware controller, windows should normaly support it.

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

RAID mirroring should have nothing to do with software. It is usually controlled (in modern systems) by the BIOS controller or the IDE/ATA controller to do invisible mirroring. The operating system should never even know that the backup harddrive exists as a viable storage area.~Viz

As an alternative solution, you may even try any of the freeware mirroring software solutions. These software will copy the byte level changes from one hdd to another.- something that you would be looking for in case of mirroring.Some of the mirroring softwares provide various features like: Task log . Lets you know everything while the task is running. Task schedule. You can set any schedule you want: Specified time every day; specified time at specified day; every few minutes in one day; logout; shutdown; start up... Fully automated, unattended mode Run as service in Windows NT/2000/XP/2003. Run task automatically even if not logged in File history. You can backup original files to a third location before synchronization. Never ever lose your data! Fully bidirectional sync. All changes, for example: file deletion, updates and creation, in the main folder will update to the mirror folder; and Vice versa. Continuous, asynchronous, byte-level replication: Captures changes as they occur, ensure sequence of data as it arrives at target, all over customer's existing infrastructure. Granularity of replication: Byte-level replication copies just changed bytes, reduces network use, enables quicker replication and reduces latency.

As an alternative solution, you may even try any of the freeware mirroring software solutions. These software will copy the byte level changes from one hdd to another.- something that you would be looking for in case of mirroring.
Some of the mirroring softwares provide various features like:
Task log . Lets you know everything while the task is running.
Task schedule. You can set any schedule you want: Specified time every day; specified time at specified day; every few minutes in one day; logout; shutdown; start up...
Fully automated, unattended mode
Run as service in Windows NT/2000/XP/2003. Run task automatically even if not logged in
File history. You can backup original files to a third location before synchronization. Never ever lose your data!
Fully bidirectional sync. All changes, for example: file deletion, updates and creation, in the main folder will update to the mirror folder; and Vice versa.
Continuous, asynchronous, byte-level replication: Captures changes as they occur, ensure sequence of data as it arrives at target, all over customer's existing infrastructure. Granularity of replication: Byte-level replication copies just changed bytes, reduces network use, enables quicker replication and reduces latency.

that sounds like a solution. what particular freeware mirroring software would you recommend?

I don't know of any, because I've never looked into it, and while that does seem to be a possible solution (and for you, a good one) the problem comes in with the fact that if windows does any changes before the process can load, you may not have perfect mirroring anymore, and it would not be a true raid array. The other problem with this software side mirroring, is you lose a lot of the transparent lack of speed loss true raid provides because the software needs to monitor what is happening with the harddrive, while in true raid, the bios, processor, or os kernel simply lets the mirroring happen and ignores the second drive replies of completion. If you use an addon process or service, Windows may handle completion responses by capturing them, checking if it is needed, then discarding, which considering all the other types of hard drive interrupts that can be sent, can cause slowdown, although in your case probably not enough to cause problems.~Viz