xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FirefoxRocks

Windows Live Search The future of MSN Search

I would have to say that Bing is not that horrible. The user interface works great, especially for image searching. The search history function is more efficient than Google Web History, it is along the left sidebar of the page rather than as a different section of the site.Furthermore, Google seems to have some privacy issues with data retention. Personally, I think that Bing does not store search queries specific to a certain user for more than a session or two, and you can clear it at any time. Then again, Google is coming out with encrypted search (HTTPS / SSL).I use Bing whenever it is default in the Internet Explorer search box, whenever I use Internet Explorer at school. The results are still ok, maybe less relevant than Google, but still gives good information overall.

I never enjoyed the search history part of the most of the search engines. It is horrible for the shared netcafes. Many netcafes remember the logins and the search history as per their browser settings. I don't know how and why but that way search history is seriously downside for those who search by logging in to their account. I prefer not to search using my google or live account. I found that they may keep track of our searching keywords and can filter results based on our previous searches which is not always good. Also live search quality needs to be improved over google. because other than image search i didn't find it worthy in any other department of searches.

I never enjoyed the search history part of the most of the search engines. It is horrible for the shared netcafes. Many netcafes remember the logins and the search history as per their browser settings. I don't know how and why but that way search history is seriously downside for those who search by logging in to their account. I prefer not to search using my google or live account. I found that they may keep track of our searching keywords and can filter results based on our previous searches which is not always good. Also live search quality needs to be improved over google. because other than image search i didn't find it worthy in any other department of searches.

I nearly faced a huge loss because of this problem. Once, when I was on tour and my PC was not available to me, I went to a net cafe and spent some time there. I signed into my email account to check the emails etc but i forgot to log out of it. Then after a few days, when I checked my email again, I was unable to access it. The password didn't work for me. Somebody had changed the password of my email by signing into the account from the same computer in the net cafe that I used. I was luck enough to find that the secret questions were not changed. I reset my password by using the secret questions and made a narrow escape because the email address was my primary one, the one which I use for almost all types of work.
After that incident I developed a strategy to be safe. The net cafes here are not that good and they just have internet explorer installed in the computers. Now whenever I use a net cafe, first of all I download firefox by using internet explorer and then install it on the computer. Then I use the internet with an open heart without caring about my privacy and protection (I really hate all the things one needs to do to be safe in situations like that of shared computer). Then at the end when I am done with my work, I uninstall the firexfox from the computer. I also make sure that the personalizations and history etc are all deleted. In this way I make myself safe.

Well for both Google and Bing you do need remember to log out after using a public computer. This goes for any account you use.

Google now offers an option to use HTTPS for searching: https://encrypted.google.com/ , I don't think Bing has this option yet.

@Ahsaniqbal111: Your advice about installing Firefox only works on Internet Cafes that do not properly secure their computer. Installing software usually requires administrative privileges, and if you have those, there's a lot more you can do in addition to installing Firefox.

If you are concerned about logging out, use InPrivate in Internet Explorer (Private Browser in Firefox/Safari, or Incognito in Chrome). This won't prevent spyware keyloggers from capturing your keystrokes (password, etc.), but it will delete your session/cookies upon exiting.