xisto Community
nightfox1405241487

Awesome Remote Control Software!

Which operating system do you have on your computers ? I thought that Remote Desktop Connexion was only available on Windows 2003 servers ? Or is it also available on Windows XP ?Regards
Yordan

All my computers, except my current desktop run Windows XP. My current system is running Vista. I have a "mobile command centre", which is my laptop, which runs on MacOS X Leopard which has Remote Desktop Connection client installed.

xboxrulz

You asked. I have 7 (currently running) computers. Three of them do 90% of my work. The oldest has Windows 95. The next-oldest has 7 personalities (bootable partitions) and spends most of its time in SuSE linux 8.1 as a MediaWiki server with math extensions. That's were I learned to love ImageMagick. Adding the other 5 computers gets me to over 30 personalities including Win2K, Win XP, Win Vista and many flavors of SuSE and other Linuces.

Now, to the subject of this topic. Windows 2000 Pro SP4 has services like

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Telnet Allows a remote user to log on to the system and run console programs using the command line.

but does not appear to have remote desktop capability natively in Windows.

Windows XP Home has

Terminal Services Allows multiple users to be connected interactively to a machine as well as the display of desktops and applications to remote computers.

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Creates a connection to a remote network whenever a program references a remote DNS or NetBIOS name or address.

Remote Access Connection Manager Creates a network connection.

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager -- Which I believe is primarily for technician access to your computer.

Remote Access Connection Manager and Telnet are on by default.

Windows Vista Home Basic has

Terminal Services Configuration

Terminal Services Allows user to connect interactively to a remote computer ...

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Creates a connection to a remote network whenever a program references a remote DNS or NetBIOS name or address.

Remote Access Connection Manager Creates a network connection.

Remote Access is off by default, Terminal Services on. It is also worth noting that other services, such as Software Licensing are on by default in Vista.

In summary, it appears that Win2k has command-mode remote access, XP and Vista have GUI remote access, but it is on by default in XP and off by default in Vista (since it is a potential security vulnerability. If you think Microsoft is sensitive to security issues in Vista, consider that Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is on in all three systems. That is a major security issue, but Microsoft appears to use it in so much of its networking software that it can't function without it.

I used it didn't really like it much if your on a static ip or setup a dns hostname i would say use realvnc it don't use much ram or cpu it's not that big runs fine and it don't lag say if you reboot and when the server starts up you can't really tell it.