xisto Community
abartar

Can You Create A Folder Name "con" Is it possible to create a folder named CON in Windows?

Answer of Creating CON Folder,

Can You Create A Folder Name "con"

Dear Friends, Just Rename your folder with con and press alt key+255, you may see your folder under the name of con.

Thanks

-reply by Rahmat Shah

congrts now u can make folders named CON,PRN,LPT,COM1...etc

Hi to alll

After passing lot of time on net finally I got the solution. MAKE NEW FOLDER ON YOUR DESKTOP, THEN GO TO RENAME CHOICE & PRESS ALT+255 , NOW you are ABLE TO MAKE THE FOLDER NAMED CON,PRN,COM/1/2...ETC

-reply by yash thakkar

yup i can easily

I can easily

Just create the new folder and before naming it, in the renaming mode right click on the name and go with your pointer to "insert Unicode Control Character" and choose "PDF Pop Directional Formatting"

Just as shown in this image :)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

-reply by SeMsEm

Missing files

I copied some files into my hard drive from my friends computer.But when I connect hard drive to my computer that files are missing.

My dives capasity is 11.7GB.

When I selected all files and get properties it says 9.17GB.

But in drive properties says used space = 10.6 and free space = 1.04

Whole 1.49 GBs are missing.

How can I solve this problem?

How can i lock a folder in winxp?

How can I make a undeletable and unreadable folder by using DOS command in WinXP?

-- admin reply --

yes, the folder created using the procedures discussed above does the task :)

CON FOLDERCan You Create A Folder Name "con"

It is looking Funny!

So try to create these folders (or files)CON, .CON , CON. ,COM1 ,COM2 , COM3 ,COM4 ,LPT1 ,LPT2 ,LPT3 ,PRN ,NUL ,AUX

Once Check it Out.It is impossible.

Interesting !You aren't allowed to create folders with names that are the same as the ones that have been used for various devices on a PC since the DOS era."CON" refers to "console" in DOS."PRN" refers to "printer,""LPT1," "LPT2," etc., and "COM1," "COM2," etc. Refers to the communication ports.The bug has been tried and tested in both Windows XP Home and Professional. If you try to make a folder named "CON" (case insensitive), Windows XP renames it back to what it was. So creating a new folder with the name "CON" just renames it to "New Folder".The bug seems like a variable that got treated as a string or vice-versa. Trying to create the folder from a cmd prompt failed with an error "The directory name is invalid.".This also works when you try to create a file called "CON", or "CON.". ".CON" shows up the way it should.Methods To Create CON Folders

Method 1:goto command prompt, type in prompt e:> ((mkdir .e:con)), verify by typing ((dir .e:con)), delete the file or folder ((rmdir .e:con))

Note::Not necessary for to go only E:,you canm create in any Drive.(This method is bulky and confusion. So You can Use)

Method 2:

Create FolderWhile name Type CON and then stroke the keyALT+0160 on numerie key pad.(CON -> ALT+0160)Then you can create CON folder and other described folders.It means that when you type a folder name with simpleALT+0160 you can create empty folder.There is no name for a folder.Here we are using "CON " (CON with space).This is the tricky logic here.On on;

-reply by dadecoders

THANK YOU!!!Can You Create A Folder Name "con"

thanks SOOOO much for telling me how to get rid of the evil con! I finally did. After like 8 tries. I tried the del command but of course it didn't recognize the con folder and denied of its very exsistence :(! well, no more con or lpt1-9 adventures

-reply by Juied

creating a folder name with "con"Can You Create A Folder Name "con"

by using alt key and num pad.

type(alt+255 alt+355 alt+367 alt+366 )

and the folder is with name con

-reply by santosh

Con,COM, etc.Can You Create A Folder Name "con"

The reason these filenames are reserved is because devices are just special files, and are treated as such. This is true in EVERY OS.

However, in *nix based OS's these special files have a special path called /dev  which then allows other folders, etc with the same name as long as they don't exist in the /dev  path. 

Windows problem is that the devices are just "GLOBAL" handles that don't require a path to access them, hence the seemingly more restrictive filenaming conventions. And as others point out, you can get around this with UNC naming conventions. Which is to state, you are pointing out the "FULL" path to the file when accessing it, as opposed to using a GLOBAL namespace filename.

-reply by WangDeFu

create the new folder - rename new folder-write the name 'con' - then press Alt+0160 - enter - create your 'con' folder.

I want to windows7 black edition genuine, are u give me?

-reply by dibyendu

how to give folder name as "con"Can You Create A Folder Name "con"

First create a new folderThen type "con " and do not press enter yetThen by holding the alt+255 key and press enter...Then your folder having name as con is ready

-reply by imran khan

Answer for making a solution to create a folder name "con"Can You Create A Folder Name "con"

• Step 1: Create a folder.

• Step 2: Delete the name of that folder I.E 'new folder'

• Step 3: Then type alt(+)0160 continuously...

• Step 4: Type folder name con

-reply by Akshay

I tried in both Windows XP Home and Professional. If you try to make a folder named "CON" Windows XP renames it back to what it was. So creating a new folder with the name "CON" just renames it to "New Folder".

The bug seems like a variable that got treated as a string or vice-versa. Trying to create the folder from a cmd prompt failed with an error "The directory name is invalid.".

This also works when you try to create a file called "CON", or "CON.". ".CON" shows up the way it should.

Somewhere I found the reason that CON stands for CONsole which is device name but why does Microsoft have to be so restrictive???

Open Command Prompt either by going to start menu and in typing cmd in search box or by first opening “Run” Dialogue by using shortcut “Windows Logo + R” then typing cmd there and hitting Enter key.

In the Command Prompt Window type the following command theremd \\.\d:\con

Hit Enter. It will create a CON folder for you in D:\ drive. You can confirm this by opening that drive

second on is as follows

You can create CON folder, first by creating a New Folder.

Now Rename it to (alt+255) i.e first enter con, then

by holding alt key type 255 from your numpad.

This will rename the folder to con + extra white space. Hit Enter key and you will be having a CON folder in your PC.

Note: you can’t just use space key to enter a white space after the word con as windows will trim all the leading white spaces.