xisto Community
yordan

Shmmni, Shmseg, Shmmax : How To Know The Current Value On Solaris ? I would like to know the current value, how to read the value currentl

I have problems when installing Oracle on Solaris. The database files are correctly copied, but the instance does not startup, in the alert file I have a message saying that the the shm parameters are not correct.How is it possible to know the current value of SHMMNI, SHMSEG, SHMMAX etc..., really reading them from the solaris kernel ? I inserted some values in /etc/system, but how to know if these new values have been taken into account ?The Oracle documentation says "ask the system administrator". Unfortunately, I am currently the solaris sytem administrator !

Unfortunately, barely anyone here at Xisto use Solaris. The best bet is to go to the opensolaris.org website.
xboxrulz

Thanks, I will try this way, or I will simply forget about it.

I have problems when installing Oracle on Solaris. The database files are correctly copied, but the instance does not startup, in the alert file I have a message saying that the the shm parameters are not correct.How is it possible to know the current value of SHMMNI, SHMSEG, SHMMAX etc..., really reading them from the solaris kernel ?
I inserted some values in /etc/system, but how to know if these new values have been taken into account ?
The Oracle documentation says "ask the system administrator". Unfortunately, I am currently the solaris sytem administrator !

Yordan, at this time I'm pretty sure you solved your problem and you are now a good Solaris Sysadmin :mellow:

As a guest said, the command 'sysdef' will tell you what you're looking for. Using it in conjuction with 'grep' it's very useful. For example: 'sysdef | grep SHMMNI' will tell you the current value for Shared Memory Identifiers.

Now, as you must know, these values are on the file '/etc/system' and it's VERY important before modifying this critical file to make a copy: 'cp -p /etc/system /etc/system.orig'. This way you can go back anytime if changes were disruptive and your system isn't booting properly. You can boot on Admin mode (init 1), and undo any change on '/etc/system' file.

Hope this helps somebody.
Edited by bmfloyd (see edit history)

Thanks a lot. Next time I go back to solaris (probably next month) I will remember "sysdef |grep -i shmseg".Of course, my problem was very urgent, and I worked with probably false values (Oracle documentation says "change this value if it's smaller than xxx", and at this moment I had no idea if the value was smaller than yyy).

Thanks a lot.

Next time I go back to solaris (probably next month) I will remember "sysdef |grep -i shmseg".

Of course, my problem was very urgent, and I worked with probably false values (Oracle documentation says "change this value if it's smaller than xxx", and at this moment I had no idea if the value was smaller than yyy).

Let me know if you have a problem. Right now got a machine (sparc) working with Oracle 9.2 with next parameters:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=2147483648

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100

set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10

And another one with 10.2:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=1024

set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=1024

As you can see, the second machine defers a lot from the first one, but both are working properly while met requirements of the Oracle RDBMS version.

Good luck.