xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vicky99

A Discussion On Bandwidth

Dear FriendsToday I would like to discuss an issues regarding bandwidth and data transfer of which every one here is accustomed to. So I am drawing a scenario for the said issue. Say for example, I have a free web hosting account which supports PHP, MySQL, and many other server side technologies. But its server space and bandwidth are limited, further if I have a file hosting account which provides unlimited server space and unlimited bandwidth which does not support server side technologies. If I upload a file to my file hosting account and provides the link in my website and if a user access the link which account’s bandwidth will be calculated. If bandwidth of both the account is calculated than whose bandwidth is consumed more, web hosting or file hosting account? I have found answer to these questions. Though I m not sure about it. In this particular scenario, when the page containing the links for the files is viewed, the bandwidth will be calculated at the web server. When someone actually clicks a link to download a file, the bandwidth will be calculated at the file server. If no one clicks a link, no bandwidth will be consumed from the file server.I would like and welcome every ones comment and more appreciably comments from administrators and moderator team because this is part and parcel of their every day’s job. Thank you..

Dude, that was verbose⦠but after reading through your post twice, I think I got the point:

You want to know, which account will be charged bandwidth if you've got a constellation like this:

A PHP/MySQL webpage (that you can host only at your server side technology host) links to a file which is hosted on a file hosting account (unlimited bandwidth, but no SST (server side technology), so you can't use it for your pages).

Now:

A visitor visits your homepage (which will be on the SST host, because it's a PHP page or so), so now the host will charge you for the bandwidth that is caused when visiting the PHP page (some 1-200KB, depending on how much code is on the page) and for the bandwidth for all media files that are implemented on that page (for example: external Script/CSS files, pictures, movies) AND are hosted on the SST host.

But you're able to implement resources from other hosts (like your file hosting host) as well. If you do that (a very good example is GoogleVideo/YouTube, which host videos, that you can implement on your website), then the file hosting host will be charged. The one charged for bandwidth is always the one sending the information to the user.

Is it clear now? This is very basic knowledge, it's important to know this.

What you have in mind, is sometimes called "hotlinking". If you're not sure, whether your file host allows that, you'd better inform yourself. They are able to take measures against websites, that try to implement files from different locations (they'll look whether the referrer, the website needing the image, is on their server or not and in some cases not give out the image). You should read this article on Wikipedia: Inline Linking

Greetings,

Ruben

PS.: Not only mods and admins are qualified on these topics :D the only thing special about moderators is, that they can control/change posts in the forum. *thinks about it* Well, I mean they are great minds and better people too of course ;)

well said.. the one sending gets the charge just like on a phone call.. [except on roaming cells]-----and ruben is correct that this topic is not for the mods and admin only.. there are alot of peopleexpert in this field that just lurk the forum.. i assume this since it always appear on google on searches that is computer related and the rank is in page 1 to page 35..this draws great attention to others to answer.. :D----there is a anti-hotlink script/program that is being implemented.. if it is on.. the server first check the requesting host for permissions.. The astahosting have this feature on.. if the requesting host is not on the list, then the access will be denied..a simple trick in hotlink control http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is not equal most of the time to anyhost.com

When you open a page in web hosting, the bandwidth calculates from where that page has come from - web server. If in that page there is a link info a file on file hosting, then when you will press that link, file downloading will start. But where from will that file be downloaded from? File server. That means that then bandwidth will count on file hosting. As ruben said, server, which sends any information (webpages, documents, files, music, video...) to user, is charged bandwidth. If any file is downloaded from web server, then bandwidth is charged on web server. If any file is downloaded from file server, then file server is charged with bandwidth. Files include every type of files (php, html, txt, avi, mp3, doc and any other file type). I guess you understand :)