xisto Community
demolaynyc

What Version Of PHP Is Running At Astahost ?

We're running PHP Version 4.4.2 here. We've had talks of upgrading to v5 quite a few times - but apparently a lot of members use old-scripts that contain deprecated syntax when run on version 5 and hence will cause problems if upgraded all of a sudden.

I believe, OpaQue is planning to phase out an upgrade gradually - don't know when though.

You know, it was a nice feature in PERL to be able to specify the version of the engine to use. I wonder if there is any way to do that with PHP. I do believe that most PHP4 scripts will work fine in PHP5 but any problems that arise could be difficult for some members to solve. vujsa

actually i have tried some test with PHP degration of depracated syntax..those that is develop in php3 works in php4 but not on php5..and almost all that was develop in php4 runs in php5 if coded correctly..--problem is that some webmasters use copy/paste method to develop theirsites which when they move host, they still use that same old script..more likely this group of users will bang the depracated sysndrome wheresome of the scripts wont work.. i still see a lot of people using php3 commands--some users also have no centralized backend design.. on my hand.. the change version will hit me less since i use function libraries..one is develop using php4 and the other is use with php5..i only need a switch case.. i only hit a little problem regarding disk space when i upload all of them. the total size of my scripts hit around 60-75MB due to dual libararies leaving me less space for a database if i will send updates to my scriptsince there was a plan of upgrade, i will wait for it then.. =)

if I heard correctly, they redesigned PHP 5 by removing the really unefficient code that was really bogging it down.
xboxrulz

You are right, but not all the stuff, I believe that php6 will be much better than php5, but until then the best now is to use php4 for such hosts as Xisto.. I never upgraded to php5 locally, due to most of online hosts have the 4th version, but when php6 comes it will be much more secure and a lot of stuff which was bugging a lot of people will be removed and redesigned, but a lot of older scripts will be needed to be rewritten..

But it could be a quite nice idea to choose on which version to run php virtually in the script, but nevertheless it would be a problem either. :D

If Xisto will be upgrading to php5, I think that this announcement should be very visible and the members who are hosted could be given some time to get ready for it, the same with upgrading mysql. ;)

i hope mySQL will be upgraded to version 5..i can save at least 10mb - 15mb of code by using stored procedures and cascading system.double with triggers, my mySQL libraries will trim to a few lines of code..----------i think that Xisto must announce 5 months ahead if php or mySQL will be upgraded..this gives enough time to debug the old legacy scripts..

Edited by vhortex (see edit history)

One temporary and sort-of bleeding edge type of solution is to enable PHP5 as a CGI program (you can't have both 4 and 5 as Apache modules), and allow users to bind an extension (either .php, effectively using PHP5 for their whole site, or .php5 for messing with the new version) to the CGI program through the .htaccess file. Or maybe it doesn't matter that much?

But yes, as far as I understood they're totally redoing PHP6 so most old scripts won't work, which is definately a good thing, as they were always so careful to be backwards-compatible that they couldn't introduce new features and wipe out the old ones. Maybe they'll introduce namespaces and thus eliminate the whole stupid standard library naming thing? Anyways, I understood they're also trying to make it less prone to security related problems, even for scripts created by relatively new PHPers. Sounds good!

P.S.
https://www.howtoforge.com/apache2_with_php5_and_php4

Edited by seec77 (see edit history)

Oh that sucks cuz the tutorial i read for parsing XML was so complicated to me as to the tutorial posted for PHP5 xml parsing. The php5's styling is very similar to ActionScript and that's why I prefer using the 5th version.