xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jerms

How Do I Improve Wireless Speed?

We've setup a 54mbps wireless network, yet, the computers only work at a max speed of 9-11mbps. Is this the usual speed? I know overhead takes some of the bandwidth but seriously..In addition, the router is just on the other side of the wall and I use the laptop by the router too.

You mentioned a meax speed of 9-11 Mbps. What type of wireless cards do you have in these computers? Are they 802.11b or 802.11g? The B series will run at a maximum speed of 11 Mbps, which may be the case here. The G series start from 54 Mbps and can go higher on some of the extreme G editions.If the wireless cards are 802.11g, then check for distance and any interference you may have inside the room. How far are these computers away from the router? Are there any interference around? Walls and other wireless devices may degrade the wireless signal quality. You might want to put the wireless router in a central location so that all the computers are in some kind of equal distance from it.Changing the wireless channel on your router may help sometimes. Go into your router settings (refer to your manual for the IP address or give us the exact make and model of your router there). You need to look for the wireless channel setting and change it to another channel. See if the speed improves. If not, change it again to a different channel. There are 11 channels to choose from.

Two PC's, one laptop. The laptop and one pc are most commonly used, I've moved around the house with a pretty good signal quality and latency (1-2ms).I will try what you've said. Thanks

Try wiggling your router/wireless adaptor antenna. The usualspeed for a wireless connection is 11.0 MBPs. I run on that daily, and it works great. Fast internet. Another idea is putting your router up high in the house. The signal carries down, so you could try and upstairs office or something of the sort. You could even maybe try the attic.Whereever your router takes you, good luck. Wireless internet is a new revolution. It is one of the best things that happened to our house. Now we can carry our dell laptops with built in wireless adapters around the house. We can bring it everywhere, even on the front porch.Good luck, once again.

i dont know if this will help..there are some appliances that emits radio waves and signals that can interfere with the transmission and reception.. if this noise making apps are causing big problems, you need to move either the transmitting device or you avoid those places with low receptions..some walls block signals and some will allow to pass..on the 11 channel of connection, some house hold devices can intefere on this one. so be picky on the speed when adjusting this stuff..a satellite feed antenae for televisons can also cause noices and so are wireless phones.. some brand of microwave ovens and refrigerator also causes noises or spikes.. i dont know much more on the home setup and which causes noise and which is not.. --I have full knowledge only of the wireless connectivity on a manufacturing firm setup.. which ones to put between the router and the area to be isolated of signals and what to adjust to gain more frequency and let the sensitive device on the next door immune to the wireless network.. :D

Edited by vhortex (see edit history)

As I said before, try putting your router up high. That fixes 50% of low connection speed problems. Trust me, it works. Our router is in my brothers room and downstairs we get great internet connect, because the waves travel down. So never put your router in your basement or anything, that would be a big problem. Try putting the router up higher in the house and tell me what happens.regards,-kyle

Putting the router in the attic would be somewhat inconvenient so we wont go there lol. It's fairly central at the moment, only 4 or so meters from my pc seperated by a wall. Ok, this is what I tried this morning. I grabbed the laptop and linked it over ethernet to the netgear router... then opened my network folders on my pc, seperated by the wall. The speed got up to 30mbit and hovered on 20+, which was great to see. So im thinking the cardbus wireless for the laptop may not be that hot..This is off subject but I initially had the router in the kitchen, where it had view of the street. I walked down the road with the laptop, then around a bend and the wireless was there for ages, it was great. So, 100+ meters of wireless joy.. anyway..

Yeah that is probably why, some laptop cards are pretty slow to keep up the portability and stuff. Maybe if you get a small external wireless connecter or something it could bring up the speeds. If it doesn't work i'm sure you can always return it and maybe you can start looking for some software tweaks.I doubt the tweaks will help but you never know.-HellFire

default range for wireless router is 100 meters.. something less is crappy..i have tried aireonet from cisco and it works great.. the receiver wireless card can even receive signals from 130 meters away.. speeds are affected by movement.. if you are moving.. the speed may flactuate.. i played counterstrike using aireonet and the speed is great.. ---about the attic, not everyone have an attic.. not all countries plus it is a lot of trouble putting the router in there since it will be filled with stuffs that can easily burn.. old stuffs.. papers and others.. a router uses electricity and it can have electrical short circuit.. in some countries, an attic is just a space between the rooms below and the roof.. not a space good enough to put things but a space enough only to crawl.

There is a new technology called Wireless-N.Linksys and several other comapanies have developed that Wireless-N technology, it promises over 10x the speed and range of Wireless G.It doesnt cost that much, but it is more expensive than the current Wireless G Standard. If you can afford it, I would suggest trying out N technology.A cheaper alternative would be Speedbooster technology, but I don't believe that is fully wireless g standard compatible.

well, i have a router at home and i use my laptop close to it and i have no problem...did u check if you have a wirless G card and not a B card..?!?!also there are programs that you cvan buy for like 35 bucks that will speed up your internet connection.another quick thing...you better check if your network is secure and no one is sucking off it.

another quick thing...you better check if your network is secure and no one is sucking off it.

i always enjoy free internet access from random strangers wireless network.. makes me spend less for leissure.. and yeah.. better secure that connection if you dont want other people to take a peek and literally hop in into your nettwork..

i dont know in your location but here... wireless cards are now cheaper.. thanks to cisco and linksys.. G card is a common standard here also..

i dont know if this is a sad thing or not.. but the increase of wireless networks here is not proportional to the increase of wireless capable admins..

---------------

while writing this.. i am connected via wireless access from my ISP... connection cost only $20 for 1 month with unlimited download..

well, i would recommend linksys over d-link or any others, just because it's easier to use, and more compatible with xp.another hint on how to monitor your system without securing your wireless network is to get a program to monitor your lan...they're free...check out Look@lan, just google it.

I don't understand why people are always complaining so much about someone using wireless internet without authorization.I noticed that everybody gets so aggressive about this subject as if anyone loses money.First of all, most have unlimited downloads anyway, and secondly regarding the bandwidth concern, internet is not use 24/7 right ?If I use it maybe 3 hours a day, it is likely that the other person uses it at a different time. And if we overlap - so what ? For surfing around or reading some stuff, you wouldn't even notice ANY slowing down at all.It's just pure and blind aggression from people who cannot accept anyone gets something for free (Oh my god !) and they don't take part in it.I was in this situation, and you know what ? I did it not because I a criminal murder, but because I cannot afford it.Yeah, yeah, yeah .... I can hear the aggressive folks saying: "If you don't have enough money - go'n get out! but leave other peoples property alone."I can only answer: Get lost back. Because these people are hypocrites, or do you really think they would, if they find a wallet with money on the street, give it back ?Yeah, right ! It makes me feel sick, when I read that the use of wireless internet should be punished to the hardest.This suggestion comes from those who cannot see anyone happy. That would remind them how sad their life actually is.This world needs a lot of therapy, but I don't think there is a chance of healing. If the world were a patient - I'd order a coffin and book a place on the cemetery.We are going to distinguish ourselves soon. And you know what ?I feel shame to belong to the human race. Animals are killing because they're hungry ... humans are killing because they feel pleasure!So much about my experiences, living in a high density city (London) for almost 10 years, under Zombies. I wouldn't know how else to describe the efforts of survival - women, going for prostitution cause the easy life seems more tempting than anything else. And opening the legs is easy.If I could give only one word to London which explains the status, it would be THE LIE ! Everybody lies to everybody - even to themselves.The more this posting upsets you - the more right I am.-Michael

um mode...

How Do I Improve Wireless Speed?

There are a couple things I didn't see mentioned in the first few posts I read before I just stopped reading didn't even read the date but it come sup on google search so I wanted to add the following...

If you're using a USB Wireless adapter for your laptop though odd and uncommon if you're using a USB 1.1 it will sometimes only start up in B mode, something else that's common is for the card to actually be set to B mode by default. Go into Device manager and modify that setting to use either both or G only. The call's your's to make but there's some other options dealing with the device specifically.

Thanks...

Duplex

-Duplex