xisto Community
CyberReaper1405241516

How Do Can I Setup Usernames And Passwords? Website Handler?

Ok so i started off building my website and i dont have it up and running yet but i would like to know how i can set up usernames and passwords for the people that want to register with my website. I want to know how i can set that up on my website. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO DO THIS BUT DOESNT FEEL LIKE TYPING IT OUT I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD DIRECT ME TO A ONLINE TUTORIAL OR WEB SITE THAT EXPLAINS HOW TO DO THIS. If you visit my homepage here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ you can see that at the top there are the buttons and text fields that have already been put there for me. But i dont know how to take it from there. I want visitors to be able to set up their own screenname and password But i dont know how to do it. I also want a reference of all the screennames and passwords. And if its possible i would like the option to kick or boot users i find offensive. Eventually i would also like to setup message board and intergrated chat room on my website if thats possible. So just check out my website http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and tell me what i can do. Once again I would be greatful to any help you can provide to my inquiries.

Edited by CyberReaper (see edit history)

Please don't type in ALL CAPS. It's harder to read and is a form of yelling when you use it online. Besides, you colored it purple already, which should catch our eyes.

You will probably be best off using a content management system like Mambo Server:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It will have a login box for users to sign in to their customized page settings. There are many other content management systems out there so try them out and see which ones you like. Mambo is just one of the more popular ones out there.

Basically you will need a database, although you could use a flatfile system, but that it difficult and MySQL is offered by Xisto. You could use a Content Management System or you could just create your own login script that validates and allows members onto part of your site that you allow.With your main page there should be the option for either new users to join or those that are already users to login with their sername and password. There are plenty of scripts in PHP for just such logins and validation.Usually you would have new users to create their own username and password and if neither of the two are currently used then they could proceed with registering on your site. If you do not know PHP perhaps you should look into it at least become familiar enough to alter or modify it to suit your needs. I am certain that if you find a script that if you have problems that someone here will help you get done what you are wanting to do.

it will also depend how secure you want this to be, i found a script on the internet that can be used to get people to login and logout. if is very simple and does NOT offer any type of real security. the passwords and user names and not encrypted and are written in plain english! still, if you wanted something basic and simple, thats always good!i cannot remember the website that i got it from, but ill have a look for it (its on my comp somewhere!!!) and post it if i find it!Good Luck-jimmy