xisto Community
snutz411

Tri-boot?

Well ever since Mac decided to jump on the Intel bandwagon, the new mac books will be able to have Windows installed on them. And if you are going to install Windows, why not go ahead and install your favorite version of Linux.Would you be interested in having a laptop that could boot into OS X, Windows, and Linux? You would have the best of the 3 worlds inside that $2500 laptop.Your thoughts/comments?

I definitely would love to get my hands on one of these when the price comes down. I bought myself an iMac just to play around with the Mac OS and learn more about troubleshooting it (need it for work).For the $2500 price tag now, I would have to turn it down.

Honestly, no. Having the best of 3 worlds on one HDD is nice, but not if it's split in three. The best of 3 worlds in one OS would be nice, tough such thing will never exist.It also won't offer you any improvements if your data isn't accessible in each OS (only FAT32 partitions work on every OS, but it has it's limits).P.s. and don't forget, MacOS is linux (or Unix, whatever :unsure::D ).P.s.2. Installing Linux on a IntelMac isn't very simple atm.

This idea sounds like a great laptop for programming. As a programmer myself i know how hard it can be (sometimes) to test programs on all different types of platforms. Gone are the days where we would have a heap of computers, all with different Operating Systems and running our program. And yes, i know you are out their saying "What about OS emulation programs", I agree, but with what limitations do they have?This tri-boot system, I think, would be great for all us programmers out there. I say try, try your hardest. As mentioned before, different partitions etc make it hard, but im sure that we will be able to do it soon, soon enough!

As a gamer, i think it's not that cool because it's pointless. I prefer windows os all the way because i just prefer its GUI compared to the other two. For programmers i guess it would be useful but i'm not that kind of guy... yet.

Wouldn't it just be easier to use virtualization? Software like Microsoft Virtual PC for Windows and for Mac as well as VMWare will ease thepain for people unable to afford $2500 ! Of course you don't get the hardware but then it's good enough for testing the software, right? Both now have free versions and there are images aplenty of almost all kinds of OS installs.

Ultimately, IMHO, it all depends on the need of the person. I would however love to be able to switch between OSes just as we switch between two different application windows now ! Now that's wishful thinking...