xisto Community
Omkar™

Wireless Congestion In My Room! Damn this technology

This is actually hilarious, but I managed to write this down after my friend finished laughing his head off! :o

I have a 6x10 feet room in which I have cramped up half the things of the world and now I'm experiencing a problem I would have never dreamt of! Before I spurt out the problem, let me tell you what all I've stuffed up in my room-

The PC (Of course, you'd expect that!)

A TV with a remote control.

A DVD Player with a separate remote control.

A Music system with another remote control.

A Split AC with its own remote control.

No, my problem is not that I'm messing up and confusing all those remote controls! :unsure:

A wireless Internet router.

A wireless phone terminal, yeah we use wireless landlines too!

My cell phone, of course.

Now, here's what I have in my PC alone-

Wireless Optical Mouse.

Wireless Keyboard.

Printer with Bluetooth support and 128MB internal memory.

Another thing is that I have integrated my Music System and my PC with 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Speakers, which are in the corners of my room, at the top. According to my technician (He's a bit psycho ;) !) these things create a magnetic field in my room when they're powered on.

The real problem starts here!

As the topic title suggests, I have been experiencing wireless congestion in my room! (Yeah, with all that, you could expect this, won't you?!) And here are the loads of problems I seem to have-

Internet Connection-The wireless router keeps losing packets and gives 25 errors every 5 minutes, affecting data flow and the loads of data transfer I have to do to my web servers. It also occasionally gets disconnected and merely loses all contact with the PC. (By the way, I've set it up on Wireless LAN to my PC)

Bluetooth Printer-Large print jobs get sucked into a black hole somewhere and I get nothing out of the printer. :P Printing directly from my Cell is out of question, it hardly ever even detects the damn printer on bluetooth!

TV and DVD Remotes don't work-That's it! They just don't do anything! :o Damn! I changed the batteries, checked up the TV, everything. I still have to go all the way to the TV to change the channel/volume. Frustrated! :P

Music System Remote-Its not at all remote ;) , it (seldom) works only if I'm within 2 inches of the system. And if I'm unlucky, even that doesn't work!

PC trouble-Yeah, I do have wireless keyboard and mouse, but its mobility is so very limited! I can't even take the keyboard and place it on my lap, it loses connection! The mouse falls down, I get an error on Windows XP - 'Unplug/Eject hardware'. I pick it up and I see 'Found new hardware'!

The phone things-My cell phone and the wireless landline terminal conflict with each other as well as with every other thing in the room! I can't hear 3 continuous words on my cell, and I never successfully make a call from the landline - it just doesn't get through the dial tone!

Now, with all those problems going haywire in my room (without wires too! :D ), the weirdest thing is that the split AC and its remote control work just fine! From any corner of the room, even with weak batteries! Now that is really driving me nuts! All these things fighting like hell in my room and the AC is cool, doing its job very well!

So, now you must have got an idea that I'm totally frustrated with my room and its problems! I need to find a solution, desperately! I'll upload a pic of my 'wireless, but congested' room as soon as I figure out a way to transfer it from my cell to the PC...(Don't blame me!) If anyone of you can show me a way out or even show your regrets for that matter, I'd be grateful!

By the way, my friend's thinking of bringing in new wireless headphones for my PC. Being overcome by his gratitude, I could not deny him! And now I need a solution before he brings that in and sees its not functional in all this mess! :D

Internet Connection-The wireless router keeps losing packets and gives 25 errors every 5 minutes, affecting data flow and the loads of data transfer I have to do to my web servers. It also occasionally gets disconnected and merely loses all contact with the PC. (By the way, I've set it up on Wireless LAN to my PC)

Bluetooth Printer-Large print jobs get sucked into a black hole somewhere and I get nothing out of the printer. :D Printing directly from my Cell is out of question, it hardly ever even detects the damn printer on bluetooth!

TV and DVD Remotes don't work-That's it! They just don't do anything! :P Damn! I changed the batteries, checked up the TV, everything. I still have to go all the way to the TV to change the channel/volume. Frustrated! :unsure:

Music System Remote-Its not at all remote ;) , it (seldom) works only if I'm within 2 inches of the system. And if I'm unlucky, even that doesn't work!

PC trouble-Yeah, I do have wireless keyboard and mouse, but its mobility is so very limited! I can't even take the keyboard and place it on my lap, it loses connection! The mouse falls down, I get an error on Windows XP - 'Unplug/Eject hardware'. I pick it up and I see 'Found new hardware'!

The phone things-My cell phone and the wireless landline terminal conflict with each other as well as with every other thing in the room! I can't hear 3 continuous words on my cell, and I never successfully make a call from the landline - it just doesn't get through the dial tone!

Now, with all those problems going haywire in my room (without wires too! :D ), the weirdest thing is that the split AC and its remote control work just fine! From any corner of the room, even with weak batteries! Now that is really driving me nuts! All these things fighting like hell in my room and the AC is cool, doing its job very well!

Well that is a load of wireless equipment in your room, I mean seriously, that is a lot. The first thing you need to check is what frequency all those things operate on.

1) The wireless router most likely operates on 2.4gHz or 5.8gHz and thats fine, as long as nothing else operates on that frequency.

2) If you're wireless phone landline works on 2.4gHz or 5.8gHz, then that would explain the problems. It would be my recommendation to get a 900mHz wireless phone to make sure the router and the phone won't interfere with each other.

3) The BlueTooth enabled printer should not be affected by anything else since it operates on a different frequency.

4) Your TV, DVD, Stero remotes work on RF frequency which shouldn't be affected by anything else. But to scale down the number of remotes, you may want to consider one of those all in one remotes, they are cheap, but if you want something cool, like an LCD touchscreen (I highly recommend) you can find those for maybe $150.

5) I forget what frequency cell phones work on, but I think it maybe 2.4gHz. So if your wireless router, wireless landline, and your cell phone all operate on 2.4gHz then that would explain the problems. If you just switch the landline to 900mHz you should be fine using the router and cell phone all at the same time.

1. im srry but you are spoiled rotten2. Maybe you need to sell some of your stuff and get the exact same products only wired.3. Hook Me Up With some free stuff brohahah just playin. I dunno i honestly have no clue wat you should do but i mean have you tried moving the stuff you dont absolutely need to a different room in your house?

Yeah, sounds to me that you have WAY too much wireless stuff in your room. Seriously, WAY to much. If the wireless phone is a 2.4 GHz & so is your router, there's one problem solved. But if the router is in your room, just get a 15 foot ethernet cable and run it to your computer. Seriously. My router is 55 (or so) feet away from my room and I just got fed up with large print jobs getting sucked into black holes and stuff, that I got my dad to run about 70-80 feet of ethernet to my room where my network switches hook up to the network drop. It really sounds to me that you have TOO MUCH wireless dude... way too much. Convert most of that stuff to wires & things will get better. Trust me.[N]F

The problem you have with your cell phone is almost definately your speakers.Lets say you have 2.1 sound, so you have 2 speakers on your desk. Your phone is also sitting on your desk but not super close to the spearkers.All of a sudden your speakers start "popping" or it sounds like a very low pitched popping, like a bass beat but its coming from your speakers. The next second your phone rings.There is a lot of interference issues between cell phones, speakers and monitors. Yes if you hold your phone close to your monitor and someone calls it then your monitor starts fuzzing out for a few seconds, almost like what a TV screen looks out when we had VHS and the tracking was off.I have no idea the technical aspects of the problem, I just know the same problem exists for me and basically everyone I know. Because of this I have super low signal in my room, even though as soon as I step right outside my door my signal goes straight to full.Your speakers are probably causing half your problems. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but that is just my opinion.

Well, here's what I've thought of you sugesstions-

Use Wired Stuff-Now that goes basically against my principle of using wireless! Of course I can switch to wired stuff, but then that would create a 'visible' mess in my room! :D

Move things out-Yeah, cool - but I like to make things available to me in the same room, at the same place. I could of course move the TV and DVD to another room, but the reason why its in the same room is that I want to use the 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Speakers :D with my PC AND DVD AND TV AND Music System (Not at the same time!!! :unsure: ) Just kidding.

So, if you could suggest anything technologically satisfying, it would be great!

Use Wired Stuff-Now that goes basically against my principle of using wireless! Of course I can switch to wired stuff, but then that would create a 'visible' mess in my room! :unsure:

So? Look at the bright side, you won't have signals colliding and causing interference with each other. It's better to have cables AND be able to use your stuff, then eliminate cables and not. You have your options, I'd suggest the first one. If you don't like cables, deal with it. I do.

[N]F

Yeah go with wired, seriously if your routers close to your pc why do you use the wireless?? if i were you use the ethernet cable ports on your router to connect to your pc. You can't do anything about your cell phone but you can check the frequency your phones run on to make sure, as someone said above. Remote controls shouldn't be a problem because most run on infrared. Also you might want to get a wired keyboard. Wireless mouse is fine but i've found out it's the keyboard that gives most problems. After partly switching to wired your room should be much more responsive :unsure:-HellFire

Being succumbed to public pressure, I've resorted to switch over to wired technology as son as possible to get things working around here. Someone please clarify which of my devices precisely should I get wired around? :D

Also, I just remembered and I'd like to add-

I have a microwave oven right in the adjoining room, which I quite often use with these things going no (haywire!). Would that cause some problems too? :unsure: (My knowledge base on wireless technology and wavelength/frequency is awfully bad, I guess :D )

So, help me! (I got those headphones coming in someday this week, please!)

i live in an apartment in Amsterdam and I have experinced terrible wireless problems because people next door that have wireless landline phones..as someone else pointed out they operate on the same frequency or something close enough to effect wireless routers..At a mates house ive even seen his wireless router cause problems as the neighbour picks up the phone and walks to the back of the house where his pc based..My apartment seems to be in a "bubble" of wireless..I can pickup 5 diffent wireless internet connections and it seems about 3-4 diffent wireless phone connections..The option must be for you to be able to change which frequency you use locally on your hardware-just wish the manufactures of these products agreed with me ;((Mark420

Edited by Mark420 (see edit history)