xisto Community
CyberReaper1405241516

Mac Leopard Do you know?

The reason Apple switched to Intel was IBM/Motorola were having production troubles on their 90nm production lines. Incidentally, AMD was running into the same trouble about the same time with their production as well. Also, AMD was running into a production wall, they were already selling all the chips they produced.Basically, Apple wanted IBM to continue focus on developing the PPC platform them and IBM is gradually getting out of the R&D business and basically came back and said: "You want PPC chips, you can help by paying for some of the R&D to the tune of a Billion dollars a year". Furthermore, the G5 Chips for laptops just wasn't working. They could have pulled the G4 desktop vs. "G4" notebook chip (the G4 in laptops are a completely different chip series than those in desktops...and don't have near the performance of their desktop counterparts).When Apple went chip searching, Intel announced their focus on performance per watt. Something that really matters as notebook sales out paced desktop sales, especially for Apple. I see a lot of iBooks and Powerbooks around now and fewer iMacs/Powermacs at home. Whether you like Intel or not, they are the only company that can really meet the production needs for Apple. Apple is assured they will have chips for their machines. Now rendering in programs like FCP isn't so great, but should improve in programs like Lightwave and Maya as their rendering optimized for x86.

Which is the sad part because the PowerPC chips were already surpassing the x86 architecture for a long while now. The thing is, if IBM opened up its architecture, then I think others will pick it up and improve upon it.Heck, all the game consoles are even using the PowerPC (or it's variants)xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

Yeah, I'm sticking with PPC Macs for another couple years at least. Thankfully some can be had on Ebay at reasonable prices, so that's my new favourite shopping place. Personally I'd rather have 2 lesser machines for the same price as a brand new one. Then I can always work on one and then set it to render and work on something else on another machine.I am thinking about getting an intel iMac to test drive out the Mactels sometime this next year when OS 10.5 is released. Really that is the big hitch, I have the money in the bank, but I'm not going to spend $1000 then only to shove out another $150 for an upgrade two months later....Personally I'm interested in the Xgrid 2 stuff...that could solve some of the problem's I've been having with my set up.

i have been a windows user my whole life and i decided to change to a mac because i wanted a change and now i like mac's better. There are so many more advantages but the one disadvantage is the software and games because you can't get good games and software on it.When leapord comes out im going to get it because apparently it's going to be good and i am really interested in all it's features like time machine and spaces.I think i would love ichat the best.What is your favourate part of leopard?

Well I bought my Dad an intel imac and "installed" Photoshop CS1 to test it out versus my 1Ghz G4 Powerbook. His is a Core Duo 2Ghz machine and surprisingly, Photoshop did not gain much over my old G4 machine running at half the speed (assuming the Mactel was using 1 Core for Rosetaa and the other to run PS). I didn't bother with Final Cut, but now with FCP 5 in universal, some of those performance hits shouldn't be as drastic. Where I did notice a striking improvement was with Blender 3D. Took 46 to render a frame (with threads enabled) wiht blender 2.42a for OSX-INtel and almost 8 Minutes on my powerbook. Same frame same settings. Now that's a drastic difference.

I read the other day that OS 10.5 is scheduled for the normal October release for operating systems. Kind of sucks because I need to get a new laptop, but I don't want to buy one now just to spend $130 in six months to get OS 10.5.

I don't think that it will be able to run on the old powerpc macs because you need a intel processor to have bootcamp, which is dumb because you can upgrade some old powerpc machines to run better than the new intel processor machines. I've been meaning to up grade my mac, I have a old 366mhz ibook clamshell with panther.

OSX 10.5 will be universal. Bootcamp is only useful IF you want to run windows. I know a lot of folks who do, but I know that when I bought my Quad Core G5 that I had assurances that there would be OS's through at least 2009.

Edited by unimatrix (see edit history)