xisto Community
doudou

Wonders Of Firefox Newly Switched from IE to Firefox

I am sure numerous people have already praised the power Mozilla Firefox, but I’ve only discovered it today! Before now I thought I would never use anything other IE because I’ve always used it and love all the feature it provides. But recently after installing and uninstalling of IE 7 Beta, my IE freezes up all the time. So I’ve decided to try out something else. Here is what convinced me within minutes to switch!

It’s super fast – I download the same website at least 5 times faster than IE, and I have a fast cable connection!

Features – only more and not less than IE. I found all the similar features IE offers and more.

Plugins – absolutely awesome! From different theme to email notification, pop blocker…

Glad to hear it :unsure:. Always good to see another person make the shift from IE to firefox.

I use firefox from time to time also, but mainly use seamonkey (continuation of mozilla) suite. If I remember correctly, it uses firefox's rendering engine but comes with additional things, like a mail client, html editor, and irc client. I just havnt been able to find a way to increase the size (making it two bars instead of one) of the "personal toolbar" which is really bugging me :unsure:

Cheers, doudou! Another great volunteer to keep Microsoft down its guts on its monopoly on Internet Explorer. Mozilla deserves it. Good work.

You made a good decision to switch to Mozilla Firefox amongst other browsers, because its the best one as long as you're using Windows. Others like Opera are fit for MacOS Users...

Now that you have got Firefox (at last!) and you are aware of its plugins, I'd like to tell you that there are literally millions of extensions out there for Firefox (Yes, those plugins are actually known as 'Extentions'). You will find a forum right here listing the best of Firefox plugins. I'll look it up and post the link here some other time, but you can hit 'search' in Xisto to find it yourself! And its real good to stuff up extensions to your Firefox to make it (more) shiny! By the way, here's what I use-

1.SessionSaver for Firefox - It saves the open Tabs when you close firefox and resumes 'em when you're back! It can also 'Snap-back' tabs that you closed by mistake. Cool thing - A must use for me...

2.Ad-Blocker Plus - Saves your bandwidth by NOT downloading the useless ADs on webpages, making the main thing load faster! Again, I have limited bandwidth, so great one for me!

3.FasterFox - Add more thrust to your cable speed! Yes, this one does really speed up! It also puts a timer next to the progress bar so that you know how much time it took for you to download that page!

Those were just a few, since I can't type all of 'em in! But you should see the database on mozilla.com for more great ones! Have fun with firefox!

I have been using FF for about 1 or 2 years and really like it.My initial reason for switching was that it was "not" microsoft. (I guess there's a wee bit of a rebel in me).My reason for using it as my main browser is the TABS feature and the custom buttons/bookmarks. It's nice to click to my fav sites in one click.However, I do find there are a few sites that give it trouble so I have to periodically use IE.Oh and other nice thing ... my daughter (5 years) uses my PC and uses IE - so it doesn't affect my bookmarks and history. We can easily keep it seperate.

I've been using Firefox for quite a while and it's been great. (Although I also occasionally use Opera to test websites for compatibility) In the beginning, I switched because Microsoft wouldn't allow me to update IE 5 to IE 6 without administrative privileges, so I had a lot of hardships viewing certain Javascript heavy sites.

Tabs is definitely great, although I've also known a friend who can't stand tabs and prefers to use TabKiller to get rid of it. (Although this shows the flexibility of Firefox as compared to IE--you have much more freedom to chose in Firefox as opposed to IE) For sites that are designed explicitly for IE, I use IE tab so that I don't have to open another window for IE.

Currently I just downloaded BonEcho (it's Firefox 2.0, still in beta) and really enjoying its new features. (i.e. spell check. Except that its spell check apparently marks 'BonEcho' and 'Firefox' as misspellings...:unsure:)

Oh and other nice thing ... my daughter (5 years) uses my PC and uses IE - so it doesn't affect my bookmarks and history. We can easily keep it seperate.

Maybe that's something browsers should start thinking about--user accounts. The companies behind the browsers already know that a lot of family members go on through the same browser, so they should provide a customized setting for each user. That'd be a great new add-on for Firefox. (Though I've no use for it....)

The extensions are definitely superb! Adblock is must for adhaters.
Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

After a few days of Firefox, although I love it and do not want change back, I discovered a few things about it. It doesn’t display everything they way IE does, like some small JavaScript functions. Also it leaves a lot of temporary files that needs to be cleaned off periodically (most because I like to clean my hard drive). I wish there is a better way to display bookmarks instead of the bookmark bar on the top. Edited by doudou (see edit history)

After a few days of Firefox, although I love it and do not want change back, I discovered a few things about it. It doesn’t display everything they way IE does, like some small JavaScript functions. Also it leaves a lot of temporary files that needs to be cleaned off periodically (most because I like to clean my hard drive). I wish there is a better way to display bookmarks instead of the bookmark bar on the top.

True...there are sometimes when it doesn't render sites correctly. (Is it because those sites aren't standards compliant?) You could also just install the IE Tab extension (which I have for testing websites) so that anytime a site doesn't work in Firefox you can use the tab to view it in IE without having to actually open IE. Heh...I've always enjoyed the Bookmarks at the top, (I didn't bother with bookmarks in IE though), but I don't know, I guess Firefox should offer more options about where to place the bookmarks. The more freedom the better. :unsure:
And I've recently downloaded SessionSaver--very useful tool indeed. No more frantic clicking of bookmarks once Firefox loads itself.

I had to uninstall and reinstall Bon Echo though--the main Google homepage just came up with a blank "Untitled" page after I attempted to login to my Google account. Weird. But then again, it is still in Alpha, so I can't complain.
Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

After a few days of Firefox, although I love it and do not want change back, I discovered a few things about it. It doesn’t display everything they way IE does, like some small JavaScript functions. Also it leaves a lot of temporary files that needs to be cleaned off periodically (most because I like to clean my hard drive). I wish there is a better way to display bookmarks instead of the bookmark bar on the top.

Those sites that don't appear correctly in Firefox are ones who's designer was annoying enough to use various IE hacks to make their super-fancy site only work in IE. And as for your other inquiry, try Ctrl+B. :unsure: