xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
snutz411

The Best Version Of Windows

LINUX FTW!!The Best Version Of Windows

I have no experience in older versions than XP, thought I know XP more than 76%, still a lot more to learn about it

my dumb machine has some stupid SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) gfx card that cant be  regognized by Ubuntu Linux, so my work on Ubuntu Linux is just few hours, cuz I cant get a bigger res than 800x600, which sux like hell, so now I'm getting a notebook with qute a good configuration, and I will install Ubuntu Linux 8.04, while expecting it wont have any problems detecting my hardware (thats a good thing about Linux - it detects your hardware all by itself) I just need to install Skype, Wine, so I can run games for Windows XP, but I still have problems with it, ... Maybe I'll find a guy who would do this to me...

well windows xp is qute good forme, but I would preffer linux, cuz its more stable and reliable, though its quite hard to learn

-reply by Dann of Thursday

With the latest patches and the service pack, I'd say Windows Server 2008 x64.Windows Vista isn't that bad after all the patches since it was released. I love the security built into Windows Vista. I haven't installed Windows XP on any new machines.xboxrulz

Well ill tell my opinionFor me the best Windows is XP, good performance , good design, not problematic and compatiblity About windows vista it is also good.In my case i have dual boot Windows Vista and Windows XP ...Windows XP runs faster in games , Its fast as i sayd beforeWindows Vista is beautifull Aero, Animations, the style , etcIf i had a good pc i would run vista... But i dont :oConclusion For me XP is the best

the best version of windows was 95. It was stable, secure, and MS Internet Explorer Free.

my favorites in order are: 95; 2000; nt4; xp; 98SE; 7; 3.1; ME; then Vista

-reply by Evan

7/VistaThe Best Version Of Windows

I find that Windows 7 is much better in the sense that it uses less memory than vista and is overall faster, with less bloatware, but on the opposite side having used both, I find that vista looked better in some aspects like the taskbar, wheras 7 is more blocky and less streamlined, but vista doesn't have the transparent windows when maximized. There are trade offs with both, it really depends on preference, but for a less experienced user I would recommend 7, it is more simplistic and minimalist.

I mainly like windows vista 32 homepremuim because of all the applications and games that are on it I think windows xp is good but I would say windows vista is the best because the networks system and it is really really to search for anything 

windows 7 is OK not to good I don't like the task bar and some other features its for to blockish 

vista is a little slow I would have to admit but since my laptop is EXTREME it doesnt go slow but I would really say some other windows are faster and could run with a little ease I would recommend windows to post letters out in the uk asking the publics opinion on the windows and what needs improving and there ideas

guys I'm sorry for my spelling I'm 13 years old but thanks enjoyed reading all the threads or post  ☺ thanks

Win98se THE BEST RELEASE EVER!!!The Best Version Of WindowsWindows 98se is a goldmine!The best looking GUI,the best all around!!If I found a copy of Windows 98se online I WOULD STILL WANT TO PAY M$ FOR IT (Its worth every penny)Its too bad M$ has gone way downhill as a whole :( (Win98se was AND IS the best)-reply by Dude111

Windows 98SE, the last Windows that is actually Useful and Pleasnt to use...The Best Version Of Windows

Replying to BitShiftMan, I am so happy to read this and other replies! I've been despairing like an old dinosaur as lost in a desert.Until Windows XP appeared (and possibly win2k, I never really tried it), Windows was about PERSONAL computing. Personal as in, "This computer is YOURS, it WILL do what YOU ask it to do", not the permission and authorization garbage we have to deal with on a daily basis nowadays, where the user is treated as some sort of demure client, instead of the rightful OWNER of his own system (and don't get me started on copyright issues, MS and all the other majors basically STOLE everything they so vehemently fight users as their own).I have used XP, Vista, have seen Windows 7 and every one of these "new" operating systems has been a step backwards from the basic premises of the computer revolution. And, sorry HP, but the computer is far from "Personal" anymore and, the way it is going, is never going to be ever again!It is very much like life in communist society. I am fortunate enough to live in a very small community, far from everything. I know all my neighbors and their quirks and we never lock our doors. Yes, in 2010! Well, Windows 98 is like that. No one is there telling you you need permission to do this and that like everything post 98 forces you to (Ironic that the DMCA was enacted in '98, don't you think?). And to those who think Windows 98 is insecure, I just say they just haven't looked past what MS is offering. And as far as stability is concerned, I still have a Windows 98SE machine and since I loaded 98 back in '98, it hasn't needed a reformat, just regular reboots. Big deal! It restarts in 30 seconds tops, not the 4 minutes my Vista machine takes to do all its sneaky things behind my back!Now, more than ever, is the time to say out loud to the corporate world and government institutions, that enough is enough, that PC stands for Personal Computing, and that we simply will refuse anything that curtails our basic rights!And for those who actually like Vista and 7, no amount of candy coating can hide the bitter results. MS and the majors, just like the witch in Sleeping Beauty, have succeeded to their ends of taking control of your lives. The Matrix has you.I applaud all the young rebels out there who keep the fight alive, pumping out XP micro and other similar "underground" versions against the threat of lawsuits (now criminal!). It's high time we gave the finger to MS, Apple, Adobe and the other majors for their arrogance.I don't want a computer I have to constantly fight against, I want a computer that will actually do what I tell it to do, and Windows 98SE is the last MS operating system to work with the user instead of against. If drivers were available for the hardware in my core 2 duo laptop, I can guarantee you I would be running it instead of the lame piece of bull crap OS it's running now.For those who would like to understand this issue a bit more, go watch TRON, Hackers, Pirates or Silicon Valley and The Matrix. Enough said.

-reply by Chris

Windows 98SE, the last Windows that is actually Useful and Pleasnt to use...The Best Version Of Windows

Replying to BitShiftMan, I am so happy to read this and other replies! I've been despairing like an old dinosaur as lost in a desert.Until Windows XP appeared (and possibly win2k, I never really tried it), Windows was about PERSONAL computing. Personal as in, "This computer is YOURS, it WILL do what YOU ask it to do", not the permission and authorization garbage we have to deal with on a daily basis nowadays, where the user is treated as some sort of demure client, instead of the rightful OWNER of his own system (and don't get me started on copyright issues, MS and all the other majors basically STOLE everything they so vehemently fight users as their own).I have used XP, Vista, have seen Windows 7 and every one of these "new" operating systems has been a step backwards from the basic premises of the computer revolution. And, sorry HP, but the computer is far from "Personal" anymore and, the way it is going, is never going to be ever again!It is very much like life in communist society. I am fortunate enough to live in a very small community, far from everything. I know all my neighbors and their quirks and we never lock our doors. Yes, in 2010! Well, Windows 98 is like that. No one is there telling you you need permission to do this and that like everything post 98 forces you to (Ironic that the DMCA was enacted in '98, don't you think?). And to those who think Windows 98 is insecure, I just say they just haven't looked past what MS is offering. And as far as stability is concerned, I still have a Windows 98SE machine and since I loaded 98 back in '98, it hasn't needed a reformat, just regular reboots. Big deal! It restarts in 30 seconds tops, not the 4 minutes my Vista machine takes to do all its sneaky things behind my back!Now, more than ever, is the time to say out loud to the corporate world and government institutions, that enough is enough, that PC stands for Personal Computing, and that we simply will refuse anything that curtails our basic rights!And for those who actually like Vista and 7, no amount of candy coating can hide the bitter results. MS and the majors, just like the witch in Sleeping Beauty, have succeeded to their ends of taking control of your lives. The Matrix has you.I applaud all the young rebels out there who keep the fight alive, pumping out XP micro and other similar "underground" versions against the threat of lawsuits (now criminal!). It's high time we gave the finger to MS, Apple, Adobe and the other majors for their arrogance.I don't want a computer I have to constantly fight against, I want a computer that will actually do what I tell it to do, and Windows 98SE is the last MS operating system to work with the user instead of against. If drivers were available for the hardware in my core 2 duo laptop, I can guarantee you I would be running it instead of the lame piece of bull crap OS it's running now.For those who would like to understand this issue a bit more, go watch TRON, Hackers, Pirates or Silicon Valley and The Matrix. Enough said.

-reply by Chris

windows 2000The Best Version Of Windows

Windows 2000 is really good.I think windows 2000 is a lot better than windows xpThere is a version that never got released "windows neptune".I'm going to try that one :)Windows 7 is years ahead of vista.Linux with wine installed is still better than any windows os existing.Windows 95 is too old windows 98 chrashes often windows 2000 has an rock solid kernel windows xp is annoying windows vista is to damn slow windows 7 is good.

-reply by sonic