xisto Community
seec77

phpBB 3.0 Beta1 Released

The first beta of the new phpBB3 was released on the 17th of June, and it seems quite promising. Personally, I've been waiting for this release for so long, and I'm so glad it's finally here! I've had the pleasure of installing this software on my local machine (and let me tell you, as far as phpBB2 was easy to install, phpBB3 is even easier). Lots of great new features, and if anyone is looking for a forum I can now whole-heartedly recommend this thing!

What do you guys think? What feature did you like best? I liked the fact that the Administrator/User/Moderator Control Panels can be managed without turning to the software's code, but through the ACP. Besides, they've integrated a lot of integral features that if you wanted to use with version 2.x.x you would have to rely on complex MODs that take a long time to install (attachements and sub-forums/categories are great additions).

It seems the bugs in this release are being worked out very quickly, and my experience with it, even at this stage, was great! Unfortunately I've already migrated to using Drupal for my sites, but this is just nice knowing that I have a powerful BBS at my disposal if I'll ever need such one.

Anyways:

See the announcement here: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=400283

Download phpBB 3.0 Beta1 here: https://www.phpbb.com/development/

Both links seem down. Is this normal ?

Links up again Yordan .. might wana give it a try now ..
As for PhpBB 3 .. i guess i would love to use it .. but as i posted earlier .. i NEED a MOD to bond my wordpress and Phpbb together :( ..

Regards
Dhanesh.

Yes, now it works.
Just a simple warning, seen at the development site :

Can I use this beta as my live forum? No. We do not recommend using beta software in a production environment.

And now I know why. I did a simple test, it works almost fine. Simply, it has a lot of debug outputs at the beginning of your forum page :

Warning: realpath() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/includes/functions.php on line 2224
Warning: realpath() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/includes/functions.php on line 2225
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/includes/session.php on line 70: realpath() has been disabled for security reasons

Warning: realpath() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/includes/functions.php on line 2224

Warning: realpath() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/includes/functions.php on line 2225
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/includes/session.php on line 71: realpath() has been disabled for security reasons

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/adm/index.php on line 154: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/includes/functions.php:2224)

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/adm/index.php on line 155: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/includes/functions.php:2224)

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/adm/index.php on line 156: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/mysite.myforum.com/phpbb3/includes/functions.php:2224)

I would appreciate if somebody could know how to remove all these warnings and php debug messages which spoil the forum page. From the phphbb bug-report I simply had the recommendation "try to remove these messages".
Regards
Yordan
Edited by yordan (see edit history)