xisto Community
vizskywalker

Aim And Logitech Quickcam Fusion

I just bought a Logitech QuickCam Fusion for my laptop, even though it's technically a desktop webcam. It's way of sitting on top of LCD screens works lovely for laptops as well.

It claims to be compatible with AIM, and I have the latest version of AIM Triton. However, in the camera settings, it says I do not have a capable version of AIM. Now on the AIM website I found this information on using webcams:[quote name='http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/: Why am I having problems getting Video IM to work on my computer?

A: To use Video IM users may need an updated component of the Windows XP Operating System. Here's how to upgrade for use with Video IM:

Here's how to upgrade for use with Video IM:

1. First, completely sign out of AIM and any other programs running on your computer.

2. Click here to download the file for use together with Video IM.

3. When the download is complete, click Open or Run the program from its current location.

4. Follow the instructions on screen to install.

5. When installation is complete the program will be loaded but invisible and running in the background.

6. Restart your computer and launch AIM to enjoy Video IM.

(Remember, those you want to Video IM with may need to follow this process as well.)

I managed to get the update by manually going to the ftp site, since I was only taken to the AIM main page when clicking on the link. The logitech software still claims that I do not have a proper version of AIM. If you read further on the AIM help page, it says to properly configure your router and firewall. My router is one of the listed routers that works with default settings, and as far as I can tell, short of manually opening the entire series of ports, my firewall is configured properly. It is configured to allow AIM full access to any and all ports, as well as all AIM services. The other computer I am trying to Video IM is on the same local network I am with the same firewall configurations and also has the update installed. When trying to Video IM, occasionally I get a black IM window with a small screen showing what my webcam (the Logitech QuickCam Fusion) sees. The other computer also has a black IM window with a preview of what its webcam sees. After a couple of seconds, the Video IM disconnects.

I am completely baffled as to why this occurs or how to configure AIM and/or Windows XP SP2 and/or the Logitech QuickCam Fusion so that I can use AIM for Video IM. Any suggestions or explanations would be most welcome.

~Viz

Maybe the webcam isn't compatible with AIM Triton. Have you tried to use AIM 5.9 with the webcam?Actually, I've never heard of a windows webcam that isn't compatible with every windows program, or a program that's not compatible with every webcam. When your webcam said that your AIM isn't compatible, was there any way for you to skip that message? Or did it not work at all?

I haven't tried with 5.9, though I've been tempted, because the camera does work with Yahoo! messenger, so it doesn't seem all that worth it. As far as the message, it's in the camera settings utility, so AIM itself never sees, or notices the message. However, the settings utility has detected a compatible version of Yahoo! and Windows Live Messenger, and it works with those programs. I've also checked the Logitech site, and they had nothing helpful on the issue. My cable was cut today, so I can only get on for snippets at hotspots, but as soon as it's fixed, if no one offers a better idea or solution, I'll try it with AIM 5.9 and report back.~Viz