xisto Community
WeaponX

Small Crack On Hard Drive Chip

I bought this 60GB Toshiba hard drive for my laptop and found a small crack in the upper left corner of the chip (underneath the hard drive). Will this affect anything or is it harmless? I looked around the top and bottom as closely as I could and don't think there are any "wirings" that were part of the cracked area.Thanks.

If the only thing cracked was plastice, chances are it's safe, at least until the plastic snaps off in that area to expose what's underneath to dirt or the plastic snaps off, hits something else and damages it. My suggestion, if you just got it, and can wait to ship it back if you got it online, return it to the retailer you got it from for a new one. All harddrives come with limited warranties to cover that, and all retailers I know of have return policies that cover that kind of issue.~Viz

I hate buying stuff like these over the internet, no offence. Since most times you'll end up having to pay the second AND third shipping fee for returning it and getting another back. Does your return policy cover shipping costs?

Well I never had a problem buying hard drives off the net and they do tend to be cheaper. Still, best to contact your seller and if not go to your manufacturer which would have a manufacturer warranty.

No, they don't cover the return shipping costs. It's not a lot to ship back, so I really don't mind as long as I don't get a "defective" one.Yep. That's the main reason I buy it online since they are often cheaper.Didn't have any hassle returning it. They shipped one back and should be arriving on Monday.It wasn't a big deal, but since I paid for a non-broken item, I don't want it.

For HDD I realy suggest you to buy one in a shop nearby. Shipping a HDD always yields some risks, it's such sensitive material and shipping a defective model only costs time.I had a dead on arrival disk, brought i back to the shop, got a new one, that one failed a few months later and I got another one in return.Always play save on data storage !

Well i also sugesst that you should always buy Computer acessories from shop coz overinternet ofter problems happend while buying computer's accesories any how i think u can use the drive it will work if dont then do as u can....

The 60GB drive I bought online is in tip-top working condition (*let's not jynx it :unsure:*). I'm also not so worried about getting this online because eBay or another third party has a warranty that I can buy for this hard drive. It's just an extra $10 more...and well worth it to cover it for an additional 2 years.