xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nightfox1405241487

Server Domain (help!)

Ok, for testing my knowledge, I got a free domain "floppydrives.cjb.net" and free DNS service at ZoneEdit.com. However, when you visit "floppydrives.cjb.net" you're taken to the document root of "/var/www/html" instead of where I'd like it to go: "/home/user/public_html"I think this is more of a web issue/server issue, so I apologize if you feel that this is in the wrong forum. If it is, could a mod move it to where they feel it should go? Thanks![N]F

This is your home server right ?? And the only page you're hosting is your own??

A simple tweak would be to place a blank index file in your /var/www/html with a single line of JavaScript Redirection code pointing to the index file in your /home/nigthfox :( This is the quick and dirty way out..

I understand what you want - but it's gotta do something with your local DNS too.. that's what redirects requests to specific accounts on the same server. Let me ask around and if I get a satisfactory reply from any of my associates, I'll post back rightaway.

This is your home server right ?? And the only page you're hosting is your own??

Yep! Hey, since it is MY server, I can use all the disk space and bandwidth in the world!!

A simple tweak would be to place a blank index file in your /var/www/html with a single line of JavaScript Redirection code pointing to the index file in your /home/nigthfox :( This is the quick and dirty way out..

Actually an easier way is setting document root to /home/nightfox :( except then I can't really have multiple sites...

I understand what you want - but it's gotta do something with your local DNS too.. that's what redirects requests to specific accounts on the same server.

Yep, I figured that... mmmm... DNS....

Let me ask around and if I get a satisfactory reply from any of my associates, I'll post back rightaway.

Thanks m^e! That would be great!!

[N]F

True, but some people don't have JavaScript enabled, so that might be a problem. You can also redirect by entering this in the <head> part of the code:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; WANTED URL">

This might be a dum question but does cjb.net domains work with DNS? So can you alter the name servers for the domain? See I thought they were just redirects. About your actual question, I don't think you should resort to redirects, it should be quite easy to configure the right www root for the web server.

This might be a dum question but does cjb.net domains work with DNS? So can you alter the name servers for the domain? See I thought they were just redirects.

Yep:
Login > Account Settings > Very bottom you can enter:
-IP
-Name Server 1
-Name Server 2 (they just added support for a secondary name server not to long ago)
-IPv6
-Mail Server
-Canonical Name

They used to have all of that available when you signed up, but now they've sorta "hidden" it away. But I use a CJB.net domain here on my Xisto hosting account and it works just as well as a .com. Of course, it's blocked at school because it's a cjb.net domain, but it is still great!

[N]F