xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vizskywalker

IE6 Triumphs Over Firefox 1.5.0.3

Okay, so maybe triumphs isn't the proper verb. But there is a problem with Firefox's handling of javascript not found in IE6. Normally I hate IE's representation of javascript (such as it's failure to distinguish object types) but here the point goes to IE6.

The basic rundown:

When events occur on text boxes and some other input types, or certain functions like passing the focus occur on these DOM Elements, certain mishaps can occur. For example, when handling a keypress event from a textbox and calling an alert, an exception is thrown.

The message:

Error: [Exception... "'Permission denied to set property XULElement.selectedIndex' when calling method: [nsIAutoCompletePopup::selectedIndex]"  nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)"  location: "JS frame :: [url=http://localhost/developement/assume/shoutbox/scripts/addshout.js]http://localhost/developement/assume/shout...pts/addshout.js[/url] :: anonymous :: line 37"  data: no]

The line in question is the line containing the alert.

This is technically only a warning, but as this can stack up in the javascript console, it can cause a Firefox slowdown.

Analysis:

The key piece of the exception is "nsIAutoCompletePopup::selectedIndex". For some reason, when autocomplete is not turned off on a textbox, the alert for some unknown reason attempts to access it and fails.

The workaround is to use a tag like this:

<input type="text" autocomplete="off">

There are two problems with this. The first is that autocomplete is not a valid XHTML property, so it will invalidate your XHTML. The second is that like it seems, this turns off autocomplete, which you might want to leave on.

The final word:

IE6 does not have this problem, and theoretically neither should Firefox as it is not improper code in any way shape or form. I do not remember this in earlier versions of firefox, so hopefully it will be resolved in the next firefox, as it seems to be a common solution. I am still unsure of what exactly NS_ERROR_JS_THREW_STRING really means, but I will post if I found out.

The recommendation:

If you see this error in the javascript console, post here describing what caused the exception, and simply try to avoid those kinds of programming. If you must use that specific piece of programming, simply ignore the exception as it is a warning only and doesn't accurately represent a problem.

~Viz

Very misleading title, my dear friend, I was expecting some diatribe against Firefox now :D.I'm pretty sure, this little issue will be fixed in the next issue of Firefox if you send them a bug report. That's what I love about Firefox (and other open source software): If there is something wrong, it certainly won't be that way for long.I'm still waiting for Apple to fix some bugs with correct code in my website. It's unbelievable: Safari does not know the attribute 'disabled="disabled"' for the element <button>. Plus there are some weird things happening if you put your computer to 'Sleep' with Safari running. Gets on my nerves, because it really screwed up my website at times. Still, Safari is just faster than Firefox on my Mac =).edit: wrote excepting instead of expecting. happens every damn single time...

Edited by ruben (see edit history)

Actually, numerous bug notices have been sent, and this issue started at least back with 1.5.0.2 (according to some of the other sites asking about the problem). And this is a major issue in my opinion, this indicates that firefox's level of commitment is decreasing. If you remember back to the days of IE originally, Microsoft was very good about trying to stay on top of bugs. It took longer because of technological capabilities, and microsoft has never had the best programmers. But this new firefox problem seems to be the beginnin of decay, especially since Mozilla doesn't have the same problem and Firefox is based off of Mozilla.~Viz

Well if you really feel like there isn't enough action in the firefox department, you can take part, or motivate someone with the right skills to do so. I do not think, that a popular project like Firefox will just decay, because well, maybe there is a low in engagement right now, but it is quite sure, that this will change again with all the developers working on it.By the way, what is the thing with Mozilla Corp.? I read on their website, that Firefox and Thunderbird are there now and it is a wholly owned company with core employees, etc. Is that a good development? I know too little to judge.

IE6 may not Triumph over firefox but IE7 sure does, it also has tabbed browsing + increased interactivity on the tabs (e.g. click on the side to open a new tag) along with the Windows Vista look (developed for windows vista). I used to use Firefox, but now, after downloading the beta version of IE7 for XP at microsoft.com, I believe that Mozilla is going to lose a lot of users.

NOTE: Since this is the BETA version, it lacks some standard functionality that IE6 has, but this will be upgraded on the final version.

Edited by sanj (see edit history)

I don't think so. I think most users changed to firefox because of its customizability and security (and hatred on IE). Convenience users never looked at firefox. If there is a (good) feature that Firefox lacks and IE has, than it won't take long until it is taken over.