xisto Community
snutz411

What Made You Switch To Linux?

i still use Windows only for Gaming... I switch to Linux because everyone i know uses Windows or Mac... and also because i want to Learn Linux and hopefully be a Linux Guru someday lol...i also like the idea of open source which i find is quite common with a lot (or most) of the Linux Software Packagesanother reason is that, with a computer running Linux my little nephews and nieces wouldn't mess with my machines as often as they use to when it's running Windows ;)

i still use Windows only for Gaming... I switch to Linux because everyone i know uses Windows or Mac... and also because i want to Learn Linux and hopefully be a Linux Guru someday lol...
i also like the idea of open source which i find is quite common with a lot (or most) of the Linux Software Packages

another reason is that, with a computer running Linux my little nephews and nieces wouldn't mess with my machines as often as they use to when it's running Windows ;)

I don't see why.
With a Linux computer running a gnome graphic interface, a standard user can start browsing the disk files and start deleting, copying, moving files while surfing the internet.
So, a standard, non-root user, will mess the Linux machine exactly as a non-admin Windows user will mess a Windows machine.
I mean, if you think that a Linux standard user cannot do anything dangerous on a Linux machine, you should also think that a standard Windows user cannot do anything dangerous on a Windows Machine.
The only problem is that, as a Windows user, you want to be admin of your own PC. And then you start to behave dangerously.
On my Unix machine I want to be root, the Unix super-user. And then, I am very dangerous for my computer. But I'm aware of that, I know it's my fault, I am the only guilty guy, Microsoft is not guilty if I behave stupidly on my computer.

I don't see why. With a Linux computer running a gnome graphic interface, a standard user can start browsing the disk files and start deleting, copying, moving files while surfing the internet.
So, a standard, non-root user, will mess the Linux machine exactly as a non-admin Windows user will mess a Windows machine.
I mean, if you think that a Linux standard user cannot do anything dangerous on a Linux machine, you should also think that a standard Windows user cannot do anything dangerous on a Windows Machine.
The only problem is that, as a Windows user, you want to be admin of your own PC. And then you start to behave dangerously.

the Gnome interface looks a bit different and i was more referring to downloading whatever they want and install it on my machine... so easy in Windows (unless altered of-course to behave in certain ways)
Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

i was more referring to downloading whatever they want and install it on my machine... so easy in Windows (unless altered of-course to behave in certain ways)

If you are a standard Windows users, you can install almost nothing.So, giving only windows standard-user password limits such problems.

If you are a standard Windows users, you can install almost nothing.So, giving only windows standard-user password limits such problems.

indeed, but i was more referring to ease of use and familiarness with the OS... my nephews don't like Linux and are put off with it being there... so they hardly touch it no more

yes Windows can be set with passwords and guest accounts etc... but i prefer one account on my pc

I think she meant that the Linux is a more stable system than the rapid. The special article was dedicated on  paperial. It's good for installation on old technology, because of this system doesn't require the computing resources. There are free programs and the OS in the Linux as a bonus

On 6/9/2011 at 12:36 AM, manuleka said:

but i prefer one account on my pc

On a Linux machine you have a standard user account, and sometimes need to ask for admin rights.

Exactly the same way with a standard Windows system. You may have only one account on your machine, and simply hide the admin password which will be asked sometimes for the strange operations you don't want to be performed...?