xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
becibear

Shot Through The Heart (internet)

Over at Heart Internet, this is what they promised me when I stumbled across their site a few months ago:

All These Features for Free!

Webspace: 2,500 MB

Data Transfer: 100 MB

Mail Boxes: 1,000

Autoresponders: 1,000

Mailing Lists: 1,000

Email Forwarders: Unlimited

Catch All Email: Unlimited

Junk Mail Filters: Unlimited

eXtend Control Panel

Webalizer Graphical Statistics

FTP/SSH Access

£300 Software and Free Web Tools

Site Management Tools

Massive CGI Script Library

100% Uptime Guarantee

Cancel Anytime!

Price Freeze Guarantee

So I signed up, uploaded my site to their server and and a loving relationship blossomed...

Then two weeks ago I offered four small downloads from my site, albeit through a third party file host, as they don't allow file hosting at Heart (how naff is that?!) and within twelve hours, my site was disabled for 'excedence of bandwidth limit'. Promo I had done for the downloads took you straight to the page the downloads were linked through, and the page only had five tiny graphics. And when I say promotion, I mean a comment on a single forum!

I was in hospital for five days, starting on the afternoon that I promoted the page, and I came home to an inbox full of angry messages asking "why send us to a disabled link, blah blaah blah..." And I thought, what the hell is the point of saying you can do what you like with your webspace if you can't let anyone visit your site?

So that's why I visited AstaHosts. They promised me higher bandwidth, still free, as long as I sit in the forums, spewing forth inane chatter all day long (with a purely technical bent of course).

So the moral of this story is 'Avoid Heart if you want people to visit your site - or pay a fortune for it!'

Thank you for listening... uhm sorry, reading!

Rebecca x :D

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

Hi there, Rebecca :D.

Thanks for the informative review. Here goes another host, or as the song goes: Another one bites the dust :P.

But you know what, there was a huge danger flag that you should've noticed right away. When a host gives you a lot of space and very little bandwidth, you know things are not right. Bandwidth is a decisive factor in such cases, because if you only get 100 MB of bandwidth, that will practically limit the amount of space you can use.

But regardless of all that, I have to say I enjoyed reading that review. You have a catchy writing style :P.

Regards,

Djetamun