xisto Community
Omkar™

Some Fun With The Calculator Could this be maths?

Hey, there are infinite ways to get an error on a hand-help 12-digit calculator. But has anyone thought, what's the EASIEST way of doing it?

Well, you need to press ONLY TWO keys in order that you get an error on the calculator (except the ON key ofcourse).

Think about it and post your thought here. I'll be posting the answer tomorrow (23rd May 2006).

-Omkar Ekbote

Hmm... I can think of one with 3 keys...[spoil](divide) > 0 > =[/spoil]Wait, can I just skip the second button? I don't have a simple calculator with me right now, so I can't test it out.

@szupie: the result is not an error, the result is exactly what is predicted by mathematics. Moreover, I get an english sentence saying namely that "the result is...."So, a message saying "you typed something wrong" is not an error, I guess the problem has a different solution.

Edited by yordan (see edit history)

Hmm. Is is Divided then equals?I don't know if it's correct, and it's probably not but I didn't have a calculator to use on me so I tried it in the windows calculator and got an error message. Maybe that's just because windows is weird.Anyway tell me if i'm right or wrong... and if I'm wrong what's the answer?

@szupie: the result is not an error, the result is exactly what is predicted by mathematics. Moreover, I get an english sentence saying namely that "the result is...."So, a message saying "you typed something wrong" is not an error, I guess the problem has a different solution.

What calculator are you using? Why does it have text messages on it? I think Omkar⢠is talking about a simple, small calculator with no special functions, so they might be a little different in handling errors.

Well, I still don't have a calculator with me, but I thought of another way to do it: Throw it up high in the air, and let it drop to the ground. You don't even need to push a single button. :D

Hey Guys,

Thanks for pouring in your brains! Well here's the answer :

Just two keys :

1.Divide

2.<Any operation>

So, I think mediafork was the closest one.. Yet, there are 7 solutions to this one. So, great work, mediafork - You got the Einstein factor in you!

-Omkar Ekbote

What calculator are you using? Why does it have text messages on it?

I am talking about the Calculator embedded inside Microsoft Windows. Of course, any calculator has the same principle. Simply, the way saying "you should not do that" differ from one device to the other one. For instance, you should not divide nothing by nothing. Only Jesus Christ did that, and he was allowed to do it only once. Now, it's a forbidden operation. By the way, you should first know hat you have to add, then add them. You should not say "divide A by B" without having priviously given a very precise value both to A and B.Regards
Yordan

Just two keys : 1.Divide
2.<Any operation>

Yay, so I was right! (If you wanted to see my answer, you have to click the link on the spoiler to unhide it.)

yordan: Actually, Chuck Norris did that too -- Twice. God was very unhappy about that. :D