xisto Community
Citezyne

Whats With The AMD Sempron 2800+ Need help please

ok iv been trying for months now to get my Girlfriends computer a 2800+ ADM Sempron running smothly i wont play games without frezzing every 10 seconds and it flashes strange shaps in games boxes and lines im running a NVIDIA Geforce 4 TI 4200 AGP 8x on a Gigabyte main board k8 Triton GA-k8vm800m with 1 gig of ram i cant seem to get it to do anything right and its realy anoying me can anyone help here?

Sounds pretty much like overheating problems. Check if the FAN + heatsink is properly affixed on top of the CPU. In any case, the ideal thing to do would be to get some silica gel (the heatsink contact paste) and sandwich a thick layer between the heatsink and the chip surface and then give it a shot..

and sandwich a thick layer between the heatsink and the chip surface and then give it a shot..

THIN as possable ;)

the purpose of that gell is to fill micro scratches on the metal that are invisible to the naked eye....

In a perfect world, there should be only the gell inside the miscro scraches.. and as close to possable metal to metal contact on the surface :P

a pea sized blob buffed onto each surface with your finger inside a sandwich bag works well.

Read the instruction manual.

Note: first time me and M^e disagreed on somthing... take a photo :P

it flashes strange shaps in games boxes and lines

This is more a graphic card problem, not a cpu problem, and even more a problem with the graphicsmemory. I suppose these strange shapes are rectangulare and with their tops in the center of the screen?

I'd agree that it sounds like over heating, I've seen similar happen a few times when I put a bigger GPU in my comp and had poor cooling even BEFORE beefing up the heat amounts made by the GPU (not to say that GPU is whats being affected by the heat, just that it sounds like an over heating issue overall). If just the GPU was freaking out the comp probably wouldn't freeze so much as have constant graphical vomitings.I'd say grab one of those programs like motherboard monitor and see what temps your comp is running at, then google to see what the normal temps are for that model and see if anyone else had the same problem. If thats a stock notebook I'd bet other people experienced whatever is happening to you.

Im putting my money on the graphics card.When it starts to add funky color, lines and blocks to your screen.. thats the video card on its way out.Want to push the card to see if it really is that? Run 3dmark05 :P

Ok if you have put money on this then you are about to find out.......it was the Graphics card... I initially thought that it was the BIOS have output problems so I updated the BIOS to see if that would help... nope nothing there so I got annoyed and gave up for the night. in the morning I tried the heat sink thing that was mention here and still same problem... having said that though my girl friends compy is running allot cooler now and quieter to, anyway I still had the same issue, so I thought maybe the Graphics is to new and advanced for the chip set and CPU so I tried the onboard video card and that worked fine.... well ok it was slow and crap graphics but it worked no frizzing and no strange shapes... witch then led me to put... I don’t want to say it... my NVIDIA MX 440SE into the system... And strange enough its working great now iv not had any issues with it.So my conclusion is that if you get a Sempron 754 socket 2800+ use an older video card with it.Thanks for the help guys and girls

I was also about to suggest using the latest Windows XP because there has been report that playing certain games on earlier Windows version will hang the systems on new cards like my GeForce 6600.
xboxrulz

i dont think that windows was the issue becuse i used that same card in my computer b4 i upgraded it, to a new i didnt have any problems with it mind you tho i had a better CPU and mobo so thats why i think that XP didnt have anything to do with it, realy i think its the CPU, it cant support the better cards its just not preformace stable its good for everything else except the games

alls well that ends well tho, i got it fixed at a samll losst to preformance, i dont have to use the computer and my girl friend doesnt notice the difrance

I had the same problem with an ATI Radeon 9250 on my Compaq 6016. Both are really old but i seriously don't know which is older. Turns out the compaq is older :D . What I'm still wondering though, is why the graphics card worked for me for about 2 months before it started spazzing and keep having to reset itself. Now i can't even login using the default login screen of Windows XP. The little display pics of each user sorts of jumps and the computer hangs, and i have to restart it manually. Now I'm just using my superbly lame nVIDIA Geforce 2 which uses the shared memory. Impossible to play any form of true 3D games. (Well..it IS possible, except your eyes will literally rip out of its sockets at the very sight of the lag :P )

Ok I had a similar problem with my Roommates computer, it was an older P4 running on a MSI MoBO with an early 2/4x AGP slot. I put in a MSI Radeon 9250 and started having problems. I recently built a new system and put that video card, just to test it, in my "new" system and found that it didn't spaz out anymore. I also had been running the MSI PC Alert program to keep track of the Processor temp, and on both systems the CPU and System Temp was well within acceptable ranges.Here is what I came to think. Although some MoBo's have 4x/8x support, not all chipsets are created equal. While some can support running at the limits (most newer cards push the limits of the architecture at all points) others can't.About the only thing that I can honestly suggest here is to make sure your running the latest BIOS for the MoBO in question and the latest drivers for your vid card. There is another option and that is to change the AGP controller driver from the stock PCI-AGP bridge to PCI-PCI in the Windows Hardware Manager. In some cases this will fix the problem, while this will impact your overall FPS rate and also cause you to lose some of the AGP features it will cause some crashing issues to dissapper.Before doing the afformentioned "fix" I would like to once again suggest making sure your running the latest BIOS flash for your MoBo and the latest drivers for your vidcard and chipset, seeing as how this could very well fix the problem your having. Also remember that the Sempron is AMD's version of the Celeron, and neither chip is really ment to be in systems that are for any type of gaming, they are both underpowered versions of the main chip lines. They usually have less cache then their full powered main line siblings and lower clock rates, generally.