xisto Community
madhujvm

IP Telephony System (VoIP)

IP Telephone is the future of Telephone

If you have a reasonable quality Internet connection you can get phone service delivered through your Internet connection instead of from your local phone company.

Voice over Internet Protocol (also called VoIP, IP Telephony, Internet telephony, and Broadband Phone) is the routing of voice conversations over the Internet or any other IP-based network. The voice data flows over a general-purpose packet-switched network, instead of traditional dedicated, circuit-switched telephony transmission lines.

Protocols used to carry voice signals over the IP network are commonly referred to as Voice over IP or VoIP protocols. They may be viewed as commercial realizations of the experimental Network Voice Protocol (1973) invented for the ARPANET.

Voice over IP traffic might be deployed on any IP network, including ones lacking a connection to the rest of the Internet, for instance on a private building-wide LAN.

Cost

In general, phone service via VoIP costs less than equivalent service from traditional sources but similar to alternative Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) service providers. Some cost savings are due to using a single network to carry voice and data, especially where users have existing under-utilized network capacity they can use for VoIP at no additional cost. Some Internet connections are asymmetrical, i.e. the upstream data rate is significantly lower than the downstream data rate. This places a final absolute throttle to the transmitted data rate and thus voice quality. The slowest Internet connections can offer lower signal quality than regular dedicated phone networks.

VoIP to VoIP phone calls on any provider are typically free, whilst VoIP to PSTN calls generally costs the VoIP user. Free VoIP to PSTN services are rare. A notable provider is VoIP User.

There are two types of PSTN to VoIP services: DID and access numbers. DID will connect the caller directly to the VoIP user while access numbers requires the caller to input the extension number of the VoIP user. Access numbers are usually charged as a local call to the caller and free to the VoIP user while DID usually has a monthly fee. There are also DID that are free to the VoIP user but is chargeable to the caller.

Functionality

VoIP can facilitate tasks that may be more difficult to achieve using traditional phone networks:

* Incoming phone calls can be automatically routed to your VoIP phone, regardless of where you are connected to the network. Take your VoIP phone with you on a trip, and anywhere you connect it to the Internet, you can receive your incoming calls.

* Call center agents using VoIP phones can work from anywhere with a sufficiently fast Internet connection.

* VoIP phones can integrate with other services available over the Internet, including video conversation, message or data file exchange in parallel with the conversation, audio conferencing, managing address books and passing information about whether others (e.g. friends or colleagues) are available online to interested parties.

.....more

But, what that does not mention is that heavy power users will more or likely hate VOIP for home use.

Try this on for size for an example i have seen.

Household example:

Jimmy (18) is home playing his favorite MMO game online.

Bobby (45) is working from home and his company gave him a voip phone

Cindy (13) is web surfing.

Jane (43) is trying to talk to her mother in foriday on the home VOIP line.

Can you guess which person is using up the most bandwith?

Its Bobby, who's company gave him a voip setup for working.

He's using 36kbps upstream for a phone call on his company's voip

and Jane is talking on the home voip.

2 voips dont make a land line.

I have pulled out 3 vonage sets from people's homes that complain that other people cant hear them when someone else is using up a lot of bandwith.

Unless you have a 4-5mb UPSTREAM connection, it sucks for power users.

avg "lets surf the web" people will love it.

- C

IP Telephone is the future of Telephone

If you have a reasonable quality Internet connection you can get phone service delivered through your Internet connection instead of from your local phone company.

I've found that VOIP is really bad compared to home lines.The quality of the line is mostly distorted and it's like you can hear a ghost voice!It's often slow and also the software from most of the providers slows down your computer.It's okay if you use a free voip provider which allows you to ring home phones for free along with some other countries but I wouldn't recommend you to pay for it.Saf

Another thing you need to consider with VOIP is your home phone vs home network setup.

if you have a 2.4ghz(802.11g) network, and a 2.4ghz phone, be prepared for drops and horrible horrible sound.
You might not notice it, but those who you talk to will.

Same thing with 802.11a and 5.8ghz phones.

i ran into that myself and switched out the phones to 5.8ghz, ended up dumping vonage due to my isp sucking anyhow...

I've found that VOIP is really bad compared to home lines.
The quality of the line is mostly distorted and it's like you can hear a ghost voice!

It's often slow and also the software from most of the providers slows down your computer.

It's okay if you use a free voip provider which allows you to ring home phones for free along with some other countries but I wouldn't recommend you to pay for it.
Saf

I'm not a huge VoIP fan. I love my DSL line for doing what it's ment to: DATA. It runs through the same cables as phone so it really doesn't matter. Since a phone line is like a double decker bridge, DSL travels the high-bandwidth upper deck and low bandwidth voice calls use the lower deck (I think, they might be reversed). Dial-up and VoIP users just use one deck... you pay for both decks, might as well use them! :D[N]F