xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
doctor

Head Transfer What do u think about the head transfer?

Hi to everybody;Scientists manage to transfer one chempanse (monkey) head to the another.And the another monkey is live and manage to control its daily activities.From this can we think like that:You are a patient suffered from cancer by this way you can change your body with a healthy postmortem body.Is this possible?Please don't say :Impossible is nothing!

THATS *BLEEP* :P lol.. the blood group wouldn't match - the brains would throttle.. Think of how liver/kidney transplants get rejected because the groups and dna don't totally tally. Even close matches often get rejected - and here we are talking about the goddamned HEAD ;) Imagine what would happen if your body rejects your head. Where did you learn this btw ?

While I am absolutely skeptical of the validity of this claim... The brain is actually the least likely organ to experience rejection. This is because there is a blood brain barrier and, as such, the brain is not under similar immune surveillance as other major organs are. However... If one can manage to transplant the brain, per se... What about the severed spinal chord???? Last I heard, such a large scale reparation of major nerve bundles (such as the spinal cord) is still a remote possibility.

Does sound very bizarre...I don't think it's possible either. How the heck will they be able to "connect" everything back so it functions properly? Or is it one of those "methods" where they freeze it so it preserves the life?Brain transfer? Maybe just as hard? Don't know the human "insides" that much, but isn't the brain connected to the eyes also? That would be great if it's possible (and if they find a "host" body for this). Christopher Reeve (aka Superman of the 80's) suffered a spinal cord injury.

Well, I've got to agree with illini319. There's no way that you can reconnect the spinal cord back to the brain. That would involve regeneration or reproduction of nerve cells which, if were possible, would have helped paralytics a lot!

Yeah - reconnecting the spinal cord would be the big problem, I would think - like some other posters have said.But my first question after reading the original post was, "Man, how much would it suck to wake up from that transplant surgery and have some other guy's memories?" *smiles*

"Man, how much would it suck to wake up from that transplant surgery and have some other guy's memories?" *smiles*

It's a 'head' transplant. There's no question of memories here. You're taking the whole shoot off the neck and planting it on another body. Only problem might be that you'll never know what your body's been upto before the transplant :P.

Even if that is possible, scientists would never do it within this century. They might transplant someone's limbs on you, but they wouldn't give you a whole new body. While I personally have no problem with it, it's unethical to many people. It's kind of like mind control, except you're directly controlling someone else's body.

I am not sure but I don't think it is possible to recconect nerve cells. Even if it is, it's gotta be hard and expensive. I mean nerve cells are tiny and to reconnect severed ones would take forever and also the price it would take to get the stem cells, the technology, and the expertise would be incredible. No I think that any attempt to replace a head would fail because no two people are exactly alike and the body and head would reject each other leading to the inevitable either way.

I have one question... If a head were to be 'transplanted', besides everything that was stated, wouldn't there be a problem of having a heart. It is a dead body, after all, that the head is being transplanted to, isn't it?

I have one question... If a head were to be 'transplanted', besides everything that was stated, wouldn't there be a problem of having a heart. It is a dead body, after all, that the head is being transplanted to, isn't it?

it's not a matter of heart or so, ofcourse this body "if this to happens" will be frozen, so it will contain everything in a fresh case, i don't like the idea from the begining, once i read the topic title, it pulled my mind to think about having my head on another body, thinking where was that body playing before???, if so would you go search for that body history???, and ofcourse you will don't like it if they saved you from cancer to get HIV instead :P

anyway, i refuse the idea completely at least right now, it couldn't be done at this age.

Head Transplant is something that is probably at least 50-100 years away. Right now it's just too controversial, and we still have laws governing dying people and euthanasia. Basically it's one big pile of mish mash and there isn't anything we can do unless that gets cleaned up.Still.This has got to be one of the weirdest things ever.

I must say.... The first successfull head transplant was done May 21 1908. The actual operation involved placing the head of one dog on the neck of another one where the heads would rest chin to chin. The second succesfull operation was over 40 years later and was done by Soviet Russia where upon 20 puppy heads were grafted onto full grown dog boddies. The longest living dog lived 21 days. Many successfull experiments were conducted after this but never has this operation been done on a human. If I had to guess through the use of skin or stem cell research to replenish the spinal cord this operation could become plausible for humans in under 75 years. Whether or not this technology will be persued and whether or not it will be considered morally correct Is the biggest hinderance I believe.