xisto Community
finaldesign1405241487

CD-Spindle Hamster Box brainstorming idea after few beers :)

Few nights ago I had this strange brainstorm idea. After just a few beer, I figured out how to turn emty spindle CD box into really usefull toy, that you can enjoy watching ;)

It's really simple. If you have hamster or mouse as your home pet you will have lot's of fun with this.

[Tools needed]

1x --- CD spindle box (empty), sized for 50x cds

1x --- Any form of fire source, for eq. cigarette lighter

1x --- some long, sharp, metal tool, a fat needle of sime kind

1x --- ducktape, or even better some kind paper tape.

[building procedure]

So, lighten up your fire source, and put that needle on fire, heat it up, and start drilling holes in CD box... Make as many holes as possible... After drilling holes, stick that paper or ducktape inside a BOX as shown on images...

Now the tricky part. If you have hamster like mine, you will findout it's too difficult to catch it (roborovski sort, really fast one hamsters...) but eventually you will catch it. :P

Then just put your hamster or mouse inside, and watch them go.... :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, you've made a lot of those boxes. How many hamsters do you have? Have you tried putting 2 hamsters in one box? Maybe that could make it move much faster. (Not that you'd want it to. It's just for experimentation.)

Maybe that could make it move much faster. (Not that you'd want it to. It's just for experimentation.)

not sure. If the two hamsters are two males, they will probably fight instead of spinning. two females, who knows. One male and one female... it's another story.

Wow guys you got it wrong! :P second pictures just shows paths of movement of the box... It's just an illustration of how would movement look... :P and how big the path of circle is....there is only 1 hamster and 1 box ;)

I almost want to go out and buy a hamster now just to have him run around my apartment in one of those! haha, oh good stuff indeed man!

Well goahead, they are really cheap, at my place, something about $9 or $10. But cages and other stuff is a bit more expencive.
You can get a hamster, with cage, waterpipe, food, and woodchunks for cage, for 40$

Anyway, I was lucky, because it's my girlfriend's hamster, but hamster lives with me :P because her parrents won't let her have it ;)
So, I can do all kinds of experiments with it... Who knows, maybe I'll put hamster wheel on some electromotor, so he can make electric power while runs in wheel.... :P
Edited by finaldesign (see edit history)

Sweet! Now that's what I mean when I say that we should all recycle more - put that otherwise-garbage CD spindle to good use, man.Love the pics of the hamster enjoying himself. Or herself. Or whatever *grins*

Who knows, maybe I'll put hamster wheel on some electromotor, so he can make electric power while runs in wheel....

Not kilowatts, of course. But this should be enough for a mp3 player with a small speaker, you would obtain good music for free.

Not kilowatts, of course. But this should be enough for a mp3 player with a small speaker, you would obtain good music for free.

Not really free. (Is this just a series of posts in which we correct other people's mistakes?) You'd have to buy the food for the hamster and take care of it. It'd take a lot of time and effort. And you probably wouldn't want to work your hamster to death right after you buy it. That would be so cruel... :P
Using the hamster to generate electricity might not be practical, but it would be fun to watch. Unless, if you could turn the mass of the hamster into pure energy, then it'd be both fun and practical. (Disgusting...)

Anyway, I was lucky, because it's my girlfriend's hamster, but hamster lives with me :P because her parrents won't let her have it ;)So, I can do all kinds of experiments with it... Who knows, maybe I'll put hamster wheel on some electromotor, so he can make electric power while runs in wheel.... :P

You EVIL EVIL scientist. :) I'm going to report you to the Hamster Rights Organization for forcing those poor things into slave labour all day in those stuffy little boxes ;)

You EVIL EVIL scientist. ;) I'm going to report you to the Hamster Rights Organization for forcing those poor things into slave labour all day in those stuffy little boxes :P

Just go ahead :P and I'll prove to them that my Hamster likes to run in little CD box :)

Not really free. (Is this just a series of posts in which we correct other people's mistakes?) You'd have to buy the food for the hamster and take care of it. It'd take a lot of time and effort. And you probably wouldn't want to work your hamster to death right after you buy it. That would be so cruel... ;)Using the hamster to generate electricity might not be practical, but it would be fun to watch. Unless, if you could turn the mass of the hamster into pure energy, then it'd be both fun and practical. (Disgusting...)

W00t, hamsters as nuclear fuel sources :P

Ironically enough, right now our fresher engineering design project is to design a DC motor.... if you hang around under a balcony at JCU Engineering for a while, someone will throw one out the window in frustration and you can use it for a generator :P

I have to wonder if this scales up to my sheep: an empty cable spool and some hardware cloth around the outside. They could wander the pasture, eat the grass that fits through the hardware cloth, but could not get through the fencing around the main pasture which is not yet sheep-safe.Hmmm....

using a sheep is a great idea. A sheep has a lot of weight, so he is able to provide a lot of energy. Because of the earratic path when wandering the pasture, we must add an inertia device to the system, transforming the step, stop, eat, step, stop, eat to a constant motion. Maybe adding a dog could improve the step-stop-eat behaviour to a run-run-run-stop-eat-run-run tempo.