xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pyost

Keyboard And Lemonade A bad combination..

If you have ever thought of spilling something over your keyboard in order to see what will happen, don't - I'll tell you.

I was enjoying a regular afternoon and drinking some sweet lemonade. Accidentally I hit the glass and it spilled over my Genius SlimStar keyboard (a really great model). I didn't wait at all - I cleaned it quickly, opened it, dryed it etc. I pluged it back in, and it was working - though it was a bit sticky (because of the sugar).

But that wasn't all. After 15 minutes something happened to the circuits inside the keyboard and all of a sudden I was getting 'qa' when pressing only 'a' :lol::):lol:

I opened the keyboard, cleaned it again and again, left it to dry (again), and now I am hoping for a miracle. Here's how it looks:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Until it starts working again, I'll have to use a Cherry keyboard that is 10 years old - they aren't manufactured anymore.

When will you people ever learn, never eat or drink near your computer :lol: .Anyway, good luck with the keybord, I hope lemonade is better than keyboard cleaner (once used very much of this stuf to clean a keyboard, it never worked again :lol: ).

Lol.. wow that's some damage there, The keyboard i'm on has been through alot, it is almost 7 years old (Yeah i know) and it has ONE drink spilled on it. You can't really notice though but some keys don't work sometimes.When i get my new computer (In a few days :lol:) Then things will start to change, can't wait

Believe it or not, the keyboard is working!!! It seems that everything is dry now (and sticky) and all the keys work properly. I do have problems with certain keys, which have to be hit harder in order not to get stuck, but I assume they will start working normally sooner or later.So, as you can see, Genius keyboards ARE good :lol:

Cheers to pyost! ;) I'm glad that the keyboard started working for you. I'm seriously thinking of getting a new keyboard for me because I'm getting really tired of SMACKING the keys down on my keyboard. Although of course, i absolutely love the feel of actually pressing down the keys because its solid (and old), when i use my dad's laptop, my typing just flows and i usually make less mistakes because the buttons are thin and small and thus won't block my fingers from going over them. I'm thinking of getting a keyboard like a laptop but then again, i may as well get a laptop? :P:P

I spilled some juice on a keyboard of mine and it never worked again no matter how I cleaned it and reassembled it. Now I buy cheap replaceable keyboards because I know my kids are just going to do the same thing as I did.

Well, you have to be really fast when it comes to cleaning the keyboard. But we can also say I had a lot of luck ;)@techocianIf you want to buy a laptop-like keyboard, I strongly reccomend this one (Genius SlimStar). Besides it's endurance, it has a great feeling and the buttons aren't like on a laptop. There you don't have a numpad and it's all cluttered. This one is like a normal keyboard, but thin. Great choice :P

In response to eating/drinking around the computer:It's called multi-tasking. *grins* I don't even have a dining table in my apartment, so where else am I going to sit down for meals? On my couch? Sure, I could do that, but I'd just end up watching TV while I eat instead of doing something productive (like my job).But, since I don't want to pay through the nose to have my notebook keyboard repaired/replaced, I take a few precautions.First is that the computer isn't right at the edge of the desk. It's close to the back. (I have a plug-in USB keyboard, otherwise I'd be stretching about three feet just to type.)And I keep my drink as far away from the computer/keyboard/printer/etc. as possible. I've spilled before, but I've only taken out a pack of cigarettes and one of my coasters. No big deal in either case *grins*So ... some of us will never learn, but hey, you can buy cheap replacement keyboards if you're a chronic spiller. *grins*

you can buy cheap replacement keyboards if you're a chronic spiller

True :P Now you can get keyboards for $5. But quality still remains quality.

I got a pretty decent HP keyboard for $10. nothing like wireless, but full multimedia capability. I lost my earlier one through constant use. What's worse than spilling it on your regular keyboard is spilling it on your laptop keyboard. I know someone who did that once, a small amount of coffee left in the cup, and sure enough she spilled it. A strange grinding noise happened next, and then then computer shut down, all in about 5 or 6 seconds. so there wasn't any way to react to it. Took it to lots of tech places, even back to the manufacturer. Everyone said the motherboard, keyboard, hard drive had to be replaced. She didn't have the cash for that, so she just stuck it in a cupboard. Pulled it out a few months later "just in case", and believe it or not, it started up fine and hasn't had any problems since. Maybe that's a freak of technology, but goes to show that there's still the off chance of the "back from the dead" scenario. Although I have heard that in electronics, spilling coffee, tea, juice or soft drinks is much worse than just plain water because of the sugar present in the other stuff. Is this a myth, or is there some truth to it?

It's more dangerous with lap-tops, since all the electronics are beneath the keyboard. As in my case, it probably only needed to dry.