xisto Community
WeaponX

VGA Monitor Cable Problems

My monitor has a 13pin connector to my tower unit and it works perfectly. Now I want to change my monitor from 19 " to a  22 0r 23 wide screen, but  they all seem to have  a 15" going to the PC tower is there a problem if I continue with the purchase ?

Regards 

-reply by David Layne

15 pin VGA cableVGA Monitor Cable Problems

Hello everyone, I have a 15 pin vga cable that is like 4-5 FT long, when my computer was close to my TV I would connect my computer with TV without a problem, now I moved my computer to another room and bought another VGA 15 pin cable that is 16Ft long, when I connect my PC with the TV I get a message "NO SUPPORT". The short cable works the long cable doesn't work (they both have 15 pins and look identical to me) by the way the long cable works on my monitor but not on TV. Anybody knows the solution to this, just don't tell me that the solution is very simple, move your PC to where it was and problem solved :-)

-question by Nunadenisa

Syncing Laptop to LCD TV

VGA Monitor Cable Problems

Hi,

I'm having problems tryin to sync my laptop (Lenovo) to my LCD TV, Initially it worked and I could use it no problems, but since I unplugged it for maintenance and then replugged the cable back in I'm getting a 'no signal' display on my TV. Ive tried all the usual combinations of Fn button with F buttons and the Ctrl and Alt keys, but to no avail. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I have found laptop video out connectors to be relatively fragile. We tend to connect and disconnect laptop cables a lot more than desktop ones, too, so laptop video connectors tend to break sooner. Usually, if it is a software/configuration issue, I find that the external monitor will flicker briefly when it is plugged in. Even if the laptop is not set to use that display, the display recognizes that it is connected to something and tries to synchronize. Look to see any change in the display when it is plugged in.

You might check your cable and connector carefully for pin damage, try a different monitor with the laptop and the monitor with another computer. You might also see if you can easily see the monitor's video connector by opening the various access panels provided to upgrade RAM, etc., and see if something is obviously loose or disconnected. If the laptop is still under warranty and it will no longer work with any external display, consider taking it in to the nearest service center and getting it looked at. Our MacBook currently has a dead video connector, but it is well past warranty.

Something else to look for, especially if your laptop works with another monitor but not this one is your LCD mode settings. Modern flat screens, especially those which can double as HDTVs, have multiple inputs. They may take one or more of component video, VGA, DVI, HDMI, and may have more than one of a particular kind, such as two VGA or DVI hookups so you can hook, say, two computers and a DVD player all to the same screen and switch between them via the remote. If the LCD is 'listening' to the wrong input, say, set for DVI while you have VGA plugged in, or listening to VGA2 while you are plugging in to VGA1, the screen will appear to do nothing. Try looking at the buttons your monitor provides and seeing if one of them switches input modes. If it has a remote, examine its settings. Something might have gotten bumped or otherwise changed since you used it last.

Some vga cables are different. Especially VGA cables made for LCDs, VGA cables made for CRTs, and VGA cables made for LCD projectors. Believe me I had problems, trying to fire up an LCD projector from certain Gateway workstations, and Gateway laptops, when I was doing some computer training for a crowd. I had to 1) first make sure the projector had the right vga cable that came with it, 2) second, make sure that projector was compatible with the PC/laptops motherboard's VGA slot or Video card; 3) third was making sure if integrated video card, the BIOS had options to run multiple video output (laptops), 4) check those Function Key, Ctl+Alt+? keys in the video card and manual.It was pretty quirky back then... 2002-2005. If you equipment is that dated, or older you may be in the same boat. Hope this helps out. ;)Levimage

I'm connecting my monitor to my laptop because the screen is broken along with they keyboard. Because I have no keyboard I'm having to use an external keyboard how ever because it is external it doesnt have the 'FN' button so I cant synchronize them anyone know how to use a normal keyboard to do this?

-reply by guestion

Connecting 13pin monitor with same wireVGA Monitor Cable ProblemsMy monitor's cable (15'' Fujitsu) Model no v 773 broken 4 some reason. When I adjust the broken area Display is good without any problem. After some day It Made me some difficulties & I decided 2 change the cable the way I hv only 1 option it is cut the wire & rejoin with another. I cut it and try to join with end and I lost that which wire 4 which pin. It is 13 pin and also I tried 4 13pin cable but I Couldn't find so I decide to connect with old one but I don't know hw to connect the pin with correct wire.There are1&2 Red main with another wire3&4 Green main with another wire5&6 Blue main with another wire7&8 Transparent wire wth anther wire9 Yellow wire10 Black Wire11 Violet wire12 White wire13 Orange wireIn the pin end 4th & 11th Pins are not connectedPls help me to connect the wires-reply by Rizwan

VGA Pins and FnVGA Monitor Cable Problems

Sorry if I missed this in a reply, but I wanted to touch on it.  VGA consists of really 5 pins: Red, Green, Blue, Horizontal Sync, and Vertical Sync.  There are also 5 connections that must be made in addition to these, which are the 5 ground wires for each of these 5 main pins (RGBHV).  The rest of the pins do not matter at all, but may be handy when hooking up to a sophisticated system.  One thing to note here is that in any VGA head, all the grounds are touching, and that is fine.  These 5 connections are made in pins 1, 2, 3, 13, and 14, so as long as your VGA has those pins and their connections (RGBHV respectively) made, and the ground soldered across the middle pins, it should transmit a VGA signal.  The heads are finicky however, and go bad frequently, so check the above connections and make sure they are solid.  Strain relief on your VGA is very important.  Lastly, there should be no problem carrying the signal though a long cable, I have sent unamplified VGA up to 200 feet before any problems occurred.  

-reply by Brad

VGA- incorrect signalVGA Monitor Cable Problems

hi ive tried hooking up my desktop PC to my tv via a vga cable. Then I go to PC mode. Then it comes up saying incorrect signal, any ideas on how to fix this?

T.V. Is a sony Bravia40"

Monitor turning greenVGA Monitor Cable Problems

My parents have a Dell flat screen monitor and at times the screen is fine but then all of the sudden it has a green/yellowish tint to it.  I've done the factory reset on the monitor.  Unplugged the cables and plugged them back in (that seemed to fix it for about 2-3 minutes.)  The monitor is not that old and I would hate for it to be the monitor.  Could it be the 15-pin cable?  Do those go bad?

Could it be their video card?  Their computer is about as old as the monitor.  Maybe about 2 years old or newer!

Model # SE198WFP LCD Flat Panel

-question by Chad Kendall

VGA cable reconnectVGA Monitor Cable Problems

I reconnected my computer after disconnecting for carpet install. After reconnecting, my computer screen image is all red. An error message of Check video cable came up. I assume that is the VGA cable. Disconnected, reconnected cable. Same result. Pins aren't bent, good connection. Ideas? - Thanks, Kip 

-question by Kip Downen