xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Google Soon To Step Into Online Word Processing

Hi,Its a great experience to have a writely account. It helps anywhere. Its like having MS Word at anytime and anywhere. I have a writely account and i do access it too frequently. To get a writely account you need someone who can share a document with you. Then you will receive an email containg login and pass for writely. For getting an account on writely, i used to face many problems. Once i needed to edit my resume but there was no MS Word available on that computer. But now, i can not only edit my resume but i can save any information i find while browsing internet. Its a great service.Regards

I'm trying to think of a situation in which I would use this, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a scenario that would call for an online word processor.Typically if I need to work on something and I'm not on my own computer, I just compose an e-mail to myself. Since I use Yahoo! Mail, I can access the file/info/whatever from any Internet-ready computer.Besides: I have a laptop, CD burner and flash drives. I can transport, backup and copy data pretty quickly from all sorts of places.The idea isn't bad, though. I can think of all sorts of other people who can make good use of this software. Especially if Google continues to battle the feds and stand up for user privacy like they did with the search records thing not too long ago. *grins*

Just a slight deviation from the discussion but I thought, this news is a worth it.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ was not available for sign up for quite some time. I happened to go to the site for some reason, and I found that it was awailable for sign up. I signed up and I found it quite similar to ZohoWriter. Anyway, those of you who did not yet get an account there, can get it now.

I think very soon we can see google free word processing system, did you all notice google already intergrated their free spreadsheet in their gmail? it is wonderful.since it can intergrated spreadsheet in gmail...i can say free word processing is a "sure" from gmail

I seriously do not understand what makes you guys compare Writely with MS Word or even OpenOffice Writer. I just tried creating my resume on it, and within moments I realized the sheer power and ease that MS Word offers me. From page layout to tab stops to alignment... I am unable to find anything similar. What about print preview and the advanced printing options like collate etc? Also not to forget the short cut keys that let us do complex stuff within moments...These features won't come anytime soon...Howsoever, I guess one of the most complex features, Macros, can be introduced into Writely via JavaScripting that is already available in most browsers.Yes it is great for creating and sharing general documents. But creating general documents was never a concern for MS Word. General documents could be well written in Word Pad (which has been free with Windows sine Win95).Those who work on standard stories and articles, in which, it is usually their own writting skill that matters, can definitely do away with tools as trivial as Gmail edit. Try asking a Magazine editor to shift over to Writely, and I bet he will not appreciate it beyond writing simple stand-alone articles. Neither do I believe that a person can write his Project Report effictively (if at all) in it.It is surprising that people go on boasting or bashing technologies and innovations without drawing fair comparisions.

This is a pretty interesting project. It's a great Web Word-Processor but it's just a decent Word-Processor. I like the way that one's able to save the file as different formats, thus it can be opened up in MS WORd or Open Office and even WordPad and notepad.There is however a big drawback and that is it's not as flexible as MS Word. There are no rulers and you can't adjust the margins. But after all, this is just a BETA so expect more features to come.

This is very intresting, you can obviously see how google is slowly taking over the webb, soon they will have a monopoly on everything the internet has to offer, but im sure google will have a good impact on it.

Right. No, not right. They're doing great right now as offering grand competition so other companies have motives to improve. But a monopoly? Very doubtful, see - while they may have dozens of little services, the popularity of those other than mail and search engine are very well limited.

Besides, if they'd ever get huge as microsoft, they'd just be the new microsoft in your eyes. People have this stupid way of just hating something thats big.