xisto Community
nightfox1405241487

Suse 10.0 Won't Install?

What type of laptop do you have?
xboxrulz

Averatec C3500 (tablet PC/notebook). It's the dumbest thing ever. I swear it HATES anything open source (even my disk partitioning utilities that are based off of Linux won't run either. Like I said, only Ubuntu works but it doesn't seem to check the USB ports like the other Linux distros which cause kernel panics. It's very interesting since I've heard of other people installing SuSE and other versions of Linux on it. I don't know if I may need to flash the BIOS or what.

Edit: I found something! After about 20 google searches with all sorts of combinations of keywords, I found this post on a forum:

Be aware: Linux will give you a hard time on a C3500 for Linux if you have a newer BIOS version (like TH11v1.0 10/11/04) . It will not boot unless you add the nomce switch, it will *not* support USB and PCMCIA. Other than that it runs fine :P But a laptop without USB or PCMCIA is worthless.
Michaela

Still trying to get USB / PCMCIA working. If somebody would just be able to get us an older BIOS version ...
:bawling:

[N]F
Edited by nightfox (see edit history)

apparently Averatec hardware doesn't like anything that isn't Windows based. You should file a complaint on that.
xboxrulz

Yeah... hmm... wonder how that would go? Probably something like this:

Me: Hey, your hardware seems to only like Windows and not Linux! What gives?
Them: ...
Me: Is Microsoft paying you guys or something to have something against open source software??
Them: No. Umm.. the tablet PC features just aren't compatible with any other OS.
Me: So what? I want to use Linux and I should have full hardware support! I can run very few distros but I don't have USB support which is critical.
Them: Use Windows.
Me: But I don't want to use Windows!

Hmmm... now that I think about it, this sounds like a conversation I had with a sales rep for Dell. I told them I didn't want Windows on the hard disk because I was just going to install Linux over it and why should I pay for Windows if I wasn't going to use it. Except I know Dell hardware will run Linux with no problems...

[N]F