xisto Community
odomike

Web Programming Tuts For The Beginner HTML for the beginner

Hello and welcome to our lil' web programming session. Here we assume that our students are complete noovices of web programming. If you havent ever done any web prograqming, then you've come to the right place.

HERE WE GO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTML TAGS

HTML works in a very simple, very logical, format. It reads like you do, top to bottom, left to right. That's important to remember. HTML is written with TEXT. What you use to set certain sections apart as bigger text, smaller text, bold text, underlined text, is a series of tags.

Think of tags as commands. Let's say you want a line of text to be bold. You will put a tag at the exact point you want the bold lettering to start and another tag where you want the bold lettering to stop. If you want just a word to be italic, you will place a start italic tag at the beginning of the word and an end italic tag at the end of the word. Is this making sense so far?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tag Format

All tag (I sometimes call them command) formats are the same. They begin with a less-than sign: < and end with a greater-than sign: >. Always. No exceptions. What goes inside the < and > is the tag. Learning HTML is learning the tag to perform whatever command you want to do. Here's an example:

The tag for bold lettering is "B". That makes sense.

Here's what the tags look like to turn the word "ODOMIKE" bold.

<B>ODOMIKE</B>

Look At What's Happening:

1. <B> is the beginning bold tag.

2. "ODOMIKE" is the word being affected by the <B> tag.

3. </B> is the end bold tag. Notice it is exactly the same as the beginning tag except there is a slash in front of the tag command.

4. This is what the bold tags above produced: Joe Nice, huh?

Some Questions

Q. Is the end tag for other commands simply the begin tag with the added slash?

A. Yup.

Q. Will the tags show up on my page?

A. No. As long as your commands are inside the < and > marks, the tag is used to alter the text, but the actual code is hidden from the viewer.

Q. Your bold tag uses a capital "B". Do all HTML tags use a capital letter?

A. The browser doesn't care. In terms of tags, capitals and lowercase letters are equal. But I think it would be a very good idea for you to make a habit of writing your tags in capital letters as it sets them apart from the normal text. It also makes them easier to pick out later when you are revisiting the code.

Q. Must everything have a tag to show up on the page?

A. No. If you just type in text, it'll show up. But it will not have any special look.

Q. What if I forget to add the end tag or forget to add the slash to the end tag command?

A. That's trouble, but easy-to-fix trouble. It will be obvious if you've not placed an end tag when you look at the document in your browser. The entire document will be affected after the point where you forgot the end tag. Just go back into the document, add the slash, and reload the document into the browser.

Q. Do all HTML tags require both a begin and end tag, like above?

A. No. There are exceptions to the rule, but let's stay on the ones that do require both tags to work for now. Moving along...

Open and Close Tags

The majority of HTML tags do require both an open and a close tag (a begin and end tag). Most are very easy to understand because the tag is obvious. Here are a few and what they do to text:

Effect => BOLD, ITALIC, TYPEWRITER

Code => B, I, ,TT

Code Used => <B>BOLD</B>, <I>ITALIC</B>, <TT>TYPEWRITER</TT>

What it does => Bold, Italics, Typewriter

Can I Use Two Tags at Once?

Yes. Just make sure to begin and end both. Like so:

<B><I>Bold and Italic</I></B> gives you Bold and Italic

<B><TT>Typewriter and Bold</TT></B> gives you Typewriter and Bold

If you do use multiple tags to alter text, make a point of not getting the end tags out of order. Look at this:

<B><I><TT>Text Text</TT></B></I>

In terms of format, the example above is not correct. The end tags are out of order in relation to the start tags.

Follow this rule:

Always set the beginning and end tags at the same time, always placing them on the farthest end of the item being affected.

Here, again, is the example above in correct form:

<B><I><TT>Text Text</TT></I></B>

Notice the Bold tags are on the far ends. Next in line are the Italics and finally the Typewriter Text tags are closest to the affected text. Just keep setting commands at the farthest ends each time you add them and you'll stay in good form.

Single Tags

The open and close tag format dominates the majority of the available HTML tags, but there are tags that stand alone. Here are three I use extensively:

TAG WHAT IT DOES

<HR> This command gives you a line across the page. (HR stands

for Horizontal Reference.) The line right above

the words "Single tags" was made using an <HR> tag.

<BR> This BReaks the text and starts it again on the next line.

Remember you saved your document as TEXT so where you

hit ENTER to jump to the next line was not saved. In an HTML

document, you need to denote where you want every carriage

return with a <BR>.

<P> This stands for Paragraph. It does the exact same thing as the

<BR> above except this tag skips a line. BR just jumps to the

next line, P skips a line before starting the text again.

Well well well, what I dont know now is whether to go on posting in this forum or not. How on earth ncan someone say that a tutorial I took my own time to write and post looks like that of some university?It seems as if everyone is out on this board to know what and what I am gonna post. I admit to the fact that the former one was copied from some where but what I am not gonna take is the fact that I copied this tutorial from some where.What ever is your (OpaQue) reason for reducing my credits, I dont know.Let me take it that these are the prices I have to pay for having my website been hosted for free.