xisto Community
Mr.GreenHat

Connecting 2 Wireless Routers

I have a bit of a situation. I don't actually feel like getting a wireless network card, I would like to link up 2 wireless routers. A little help will be appreciated to the max! Please post anything concerning this.~edit~Great news, I got a network card!But I still could use the advice...

wire up one wireless router normally, pluging your modem into thw rieless routers WAN socket.and wire the second wireless routers WAN socket into the first wireless routers LAN socket.You may need to configure static routing on the second Wireless AP.

What you want to be researching is how to "bridge" the two wireless routers without any physical cables. I've done this before where I want to extend the range of my in home router, and I happened to have an extra wireless router available. Depending on who makes your router, it could be easy or easier. Look into your manual if you still have it, and probably should be in the index.

If you want to extend the range of your internet from one router to another your routers must have "wds(wireless distrubition system)" ability.If you want to connect to internet from second router your second router must have "wireless client" ability.

I think you need a wireless network extender.

Two routers will work but I think it's a bit hard :P

If you a large yard or simply a large home, or that you want to share your network with yoru neighbours, simply purchase a wireless network extender.
It is device that you can move around to intensify and strengthen the signals of your wireless network.

Make sure you set up the network properly if you have 2 routers.

To learn more about Wireless Networking and other technology, go to https://www.thesource.ca/ and Click&Learn!

I know this topic is a little old, but just some information to add:

The second router MUST also have the DHCP server on it disabled or else you will have IP addressing problems on your network and nothing will work out correctly.

I second that, I had two routers hooked up together, with cables, and I was having a ton of IP conflicts with the second router connected until I managed to properly set it up

I have a bit of a situation. I don't actually feel like getting a wireless network card, I would like to link up 2 wireless routers. A little help will be appreciated to the max! Please post anything concerning this.

Wired beats wireless any day.

Seriously, some stuff don't work through wireless.

urr there is another way which nobody has mentioned. You dont need to wire two routers together there is no need - it can also creat problems, what you need is just to buy some wierless access points. Set up the access points to connect directly to your actual router and that it your basically set up. All you need to do then is read the manual that comes with the access point and do a bit more configuration and them when your wireless device is on depending on which its nearest to it will either conncect directly to the router or the wireless access point.

urr there is another way which nobody has mentioned. You dont need to wire two routers together there is no need - it can also creat problems, what you need is just to buy some wierless access points. Set up the access points to connect directly to your actual router and that it your basically set up. All you need to do then is read the manual that comes with the access point and do a bit more configuration and them when your wireless device is on depending on which its nearest to it will either conncect directly to the router or the wireless access point.

I second that. Also, I think we should also define router:

Router (n.) - A network device used to communicate with other networks and route data packets.

So really, you're just using a feature loaded switch and access point :)

[N]F

dual router wireles network for xboxConnecting 2 Wireless Routers

ok so I'm not terribly comp savvy but I;m no idiot I have an xbox360 and not a long enough lan cable or a wirless adapter for it to work in my current config... But I do have a second wireless router... I would like to know if I can plug the second router to the xbox via lan cord port and have it talk to the original router that broadcasts my home internet.. As if it was playing the role of a wireless receiver???

-reply by andrew