xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Snicker

Looking For A Great Source Code Editor For almost any programming language? Notepad ++

I don't really find it so great, I just use it as my default text editor, because I just can't stand the windows notepad or wordpad.. and I don't use it for programming or coding/scripting. Furthermore, I don't agree that front page and dreamweaver own HTML :o Notepad++ highlites the code quite nice, but if you're really into programming and have quite a big source, it is not so comfortable as some other applications, of course it is hard to find a free one.

And it can't save the text files to different charsets, atleast I haven't found how, all my Baltic letters become unknown symbols. And I found Notepad2 better than Notepad++ for more simple stuff if you only want a text editor which loads fast and you can edit/save something fast and not wanting to work with it. :P But this is just my opinion, if your project is not big, only several files, you can easily choose it. :o

oh, yes, if someone want to see what is Notepad2, here is there you can get some interesting info: http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
Does coloring, multiple page openings. I dont suggest it for html since things like front page and dreamwearver own it.

Im going to be using it for javascript and after hours of searching its the best I could find that is freeware. Feel free to donate to them though :lol:

I have gotten rather fond of JEdit (http://www.jedit.org/). It has a lot of nice features, including very nice language plugns and good scriptability, but the main reason I started with it is that it works identically on every platform. I can switch between Widnows, UNIX/Linux, and Mac with the exact same environment and settings. At the same time, it has some ability to conform to the platform (menu placement, font, color scheme, etc) if you want it to. I have XCode on the Mac, which is rather nice, but I don't want to have to get used to something and then not have next time I am on a Windows or Linux box.

As I mentioned in another post, I actually use JEdit for most of my business correspondence and general writing now, too.

I'm using Dreamweaver for all my html-xml-php and such coding stuff. But when it comes to editing multiple programming languages UltraEdit works really great. But UltraEdit is not free software... I really forgot link to UltraEdit's homepage, but it should not be soo hard to find it via Google with keyword 'ultraedit' :lol:

I tried Notepad2, NoteTab and even TextPad among the almost dozen free programs out there and nothing beats the effectivity of NotePad++. I am using it in an almost daily basis, the only limiting factor being that you can't create cool scripts internally with it. But the tabbed interface and the exclusion of a huge and confusing options menu leverages that out.

For FREE PHP Designer 2006 is a great and powerful editor and debugger which not only does HTML and PHP but SQL, Javascript, Java, C#, CSS, XML, and more I use it for fast PHP code development and syntax checking you can get it at PHP Designer 2006 home page. I used to use HTML Kit but now I mostly use the PHP Designer but when doing just HTML I sometimes use HTML Kit but after using PHP Designer I have learned more how it works with HTML as an editor and actually find that it is easier in use, but I have been using HTML Kit for a long time and PHP Designer for about 8 months now so I am still learning some of the powerful uses of it.