xisto Community
Jayson87

What Are The Free Anti-virus Softwares Avalivable On The Internet? Free anti-virus

I have been looking around for free anti-virus software but it seems that i can't find any around. Most of them i found are free online scans. Please recommend me some good free antivirus softwares. I currently have a computer which i seldom use and hence would not like to invest in a paid antivirus software. Just a basic one which is functional would do.

I'd definately go with AVG Free Edition. I've been using it for the last 3 years and it's given me extremely good service. The updates are regular and the client check for urgent updates at every start-up. It also integrates very well into the major e-mail software checking for viruses while sending as well as receiving mails. Club this with a great firewall like ZoneAlarm and you're on your way to maintaining a high degree of vigilance over your system. Of course, it's always advisable not to go about installing every piece of software you come across on the internet, since there's a massive amount of freeware that also installs malware; stuff that passes along usage and sometimes even password and CC information to IRC servers.

I installed AntiVir and I liked the look of it. The problem I had with it was I couldn't get it to update... it always timed out. I tried six times and gave up. If I'm going to have an free anti-virus program, I at least want one I can update. I've had AVG before and wasn't happy with it. McAffee pick up alot of viruses on machine even though AVG was installed. So after all this I went with Avast. I'll give it a try. It has a resident shield scanning my machine all the time, checks emails, networks, and IM's. Seems good so far.

I wonder if there really is such a thing as an unbiased antivirus review. most people i know, and even companies, are strongly in favor of a certain product and just as strongly opposed to others, myself included. Personally i find it easier just to pay for an antivirus i know works, am comfortable with, and is cheap. My personal favorite is NOD32, but it's not free. there is a one month trial subscription, where you can see how it works. For free i've heard AVG is good. though since you've had less-than-stellar experiences with it, Avast is also one that's supposed to have good reviews, as well as EZtrust, though that one seems to not have as rave reviews. Another one is ClamAV, which must be relatively new on the scene as there isn't much hype or review about it. but from what i've heard, it's a solid piece of freeware.

Edited by Grafitti (see edit history)