xisto Community
MOOSE1405241519

Starting Programming Where to begin?

I myself started with VBScript, a cut down version of Visual Basic. I learnt it by following tutorials in a magazine I read called computer shopper (the British Computer Shopper, not the american one) and soon moved on to real Visual Basic, visual basic 6 to be precise. I learnt it well, and by then had a good understanding of how programming works and so on. I tried out other languages, and eventually found one I liked most: PHP, a web scripting language. I suggest you do exactly what I've done, as it works perfectly, though in some cases, the languages I've used could be swapped for different ones.

Replying to iGuestGML is a very bad choice for a first language. I tried it and found a very small amount of similarities between that and other more advanced languages. Of course it easy and can be fun but if your serious about programming it's something to forget when using other languages. For other languages I would suggest trying something like Python or Ruby (why hasn't it been mentioned yet?). I personally use Ruby and do some HTML (although not really programming is still code) but you should look into them and find which one you find most interesting.

reply by Scott

In my opinion, any programming language which has/implements strong programming concepts is suitable to learn as first language. C was the first programming language I learnt. Even though it is used for complex applications, such as operating systems and not much of a use for general purpose. But the concepts are the same in any programming language. Its just the syntax which is different. So choosing a language where the syntax is easy to understand and use would be good choice to learn. After learning and using python, and given its strict syntax, learning this as first language can make a person understand coding in the proper way.

I am new to programing and I am confused about where to start. I would like to learn how to make programs but i hav no clue how to.

Thanx

I began to learn to program on a TI 99-4a (from Texas Instruments) from looking and editing some Basic-Listings that i found.

With an old Ghetto-Blaster(cassette-recorder) we load some listings into the Basic-ram. But we wait allways many hours for to load a small Listing.

Additional the basic interpreter was also very slowly, so i begin to look to an alternative to speed up a program.

A friend of mine told me that i have to learn how CPUs are working.

Posted Image

Some years later i begin to learn how 6502-CPUs(Comodore 64) are working.

Posted Image

Starting on a 80286-CPU i began with DOS and debug.exe to program on a x86.

Today i use an Intel Core2quad Q9550@2.83 ghz.

Posted Image

.............. but i need more single CPU-speed for routines that can´t be split like iterative formula.

An answer from Betov (in alt.lang.asm) regarding the question "Why use assembly":

"The price of freedom, so to say, and one of the reasons i am used to say that Assembly is an anarchist Language, whereas C (typicaly) is a fascist Language."

Dirk

Hi, Dirk.When you post images, please verify that you are allowed to do so. Seems that pipux.net people don't appreciate using their images.

Ups, first i have to say i don´t want to break the rules here.

But i have not realy post the image, only the adress of the image. And i see a litle different between to download/upload an image and only to link an image on an other webpage.
I still believe to link a webpage(or a part of it) with a page that we have made let us not to be the owner of the content of the other webpage.
And we are also using their images if we have a directly look to their page and i am not sure about it, if we realy need any special rights for to link a content from other pages.
In my opinion have nobody the rights to dictate how i have to look some pages on the web. Not the right to dictate which eyeglasses or which brownser i use and whether i use
black papers to hide some pieces of the content that i don´t want to see. Figuratively a link is only the same as my black paper or a kind of eyeglasses that filters the content.
At last i don´t want to begin a debate of rights here, so in the future i will try to follow the rules of this community more strictly. Thank you for your advice.

Dirk
Edited by Dirk Wolfgang Glomp (see edit history)

Ups, first i have to say i don´t want to break the rules here.
But i have not realy post the image, only the adress of the image. And i see a litle different between to download/upload an image and only to link an image on an other webpage.
I still believe to link a webpage(or a part of it) with a page that we have made let us not to be the owner of the content of the other webpage.

The problem was only with the image you posted (the one I suppressed).
These guys do not want you to use their images, and the image appears as "this image has been stolen from...."
Just try again, open a new thread in the "TEST(NO POST COUNT)" subforum, and look how the image appears. This TEST forum is there exactly for that purposes, testing various things.
The sentence "this image has been stolen from" clearly says "please do not use our images"
If they don't want you to use their images, better don't use them...
Regards
Yordan

The problem was only with the image you posted (the one I suppressed).

Sorry, i don´t know wich image exactly do you mean. Wich one is from pipux.net?a) http://oldcomputers.net/pics/ti-994a.jpg
B)http://cbmmuseum.kuto.de/images/home_c64_1.jpg
c) http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

These guys do not want you to use their images, and the image appears as "this image has been stolen from...."

But this is a dirty lie, because they want that people watch their image and therefore it is reachable on their webpage and the image is not removed til this moment, so it can´t be stolen.Additional no illegal copy of that image exist here on this page. This page have only a link to the image and the link itself is used for that what links are regular made for.

Just try again, open a new thread in the "TEST(NO POST COUNT)" subforum, and look how the image appears. This TEST forum is there exactly for that purposes, testing various things.

Ok i try to test it, if i know which image is exacly from pipux.net.

The sentence "this image has been stolen from" clearly says "please do not use our images"

I understand what they want and i understand the problem for the forum to become a cease-and-desist order from a counsellor, but i don´t believe that they have the right to dictate how we watch their image.Maybe the next owners of images want that we stay only on one leg and singing didilidum to watch their images. Who knows does it go.

We have always the right to filter any content of any webpage that we want to filter and if we want that only one image from a webpage appear for watching,
then nobody have the legitimation to prevent us from watching only that image, if the image is reachable from the owners webpage and we only redirect the watcher
to a part of their webpage. Comperatively if we stay together on the street in front of a shop with a lot of advertising inside of the shop window and i give you an eyeglass
with red glasses and advise you to look into my little mirror in my hand to have a look only into a part of that shop window.

If there is anybody that shout: "Hey policeman they have stolen our puppets only by watching it with a mirror, please stop that thieves."?
Or is there a magican that elfstruck all mirrors so that they all are dangerous now, so we have to prevent the world from looking into mirrors?
Yes, it is only a kind of dirty jokes, also with that owners of any content if they want something with no rights to dictate how we watch their contents.
In my opinion break this dictate the human rights, so we can say this is a criminal doing by that counsellors/justice who press us to desist orders,
if they want that we remove a link from our webpage and to dictate us how we are watching images.

If they don't want you to use their images, better don't use them...Regards
Yordan

I don´t want that this forum becomes any problem with that and i realy want to care the rules here.
So in the next time i don´t post any adress for to link an image, if it is not clear that the owner of that image give a positive statemant for to use it for free.

Dirk