xisto Community
MOOSE1405241519

External Hard Drives

Most likly this site also tells you how to incase a internal hard drive for external use cause then that would be a waste of money and more of a effort to keep it running instead of just buying a EHD already set up after you install it on your computer.

Since you are posting a link to the tutorial, it's best if you include a direct link instead of just posting the main page there...But yeah, I used those USB enclosure drives and love them. They also come in firewire flavors :o

As a personal portable data storage device, putting an internal laptop HDD into an enclosure and using it as an external HDD is certainly the most cost effective method. It's much cheaper than buying a ready-made external HDD (which, to tell the truth, is the deciding factor for most people) and, with a little care, can be just as durable. I use one myself, with a old 40GB Fujitsu HDD which I've cannibalized from a defunct laptop—and it still works. =^^=

This is for the publics general info. A great way to save money is to buy an internal hard drive and convert it to external. The process is simple, cheap and very effective. If you are interested there is a tutorial at http://www.i-hacked.com/

This could be really cool but also potentially really dangerous. Of course the advantages would be that you could take it anywhere you wanted to anywhere in the world and plug it into any computer and transfer your files and data into that computer. This wuld be popular device and a great piece of hardware for growing companies to use and show their work to other.
The disadvantages however, would be that anyone can steal or "borrow" the portable harddrive and all your data, whether personal or not, can be kept or used for themselves at any time. And the worst part is that you have no way of finding out who they are. Also, there is the obvious reason that if it is misplaced or broken then all your data could be accidentally or purposefully be wiped out and lost for ever - unless it was stored on a data storage device like a USB or a CD.

Actually, Shadow X, the disadvantages you were talking about aren't really that big a deal. Sure, it could get lost or stolen, but so could a USB flash drive or a CD. Heck, a burglar could break into your home and cart away your entire PC system—complete with add-on peripherals—and you wouldn't be able to do a thing about it. Having things stolen comes with the territory of having things to steal. It's a risk that's not worth worrying about. =^^=

As for someone getting all of your data in the event that your external HDD is lost, misplaced, or stolen... well, there are some very good encryption and security programs available to protect your data—and some of them are even freeware. With those kinds of programs, your data is as safe as possible (unless you're up against a really determined hacker, of course). In fact, it's much safer than keeping data in a CD or DVD, both of which really can't be effectively protected. =^^=

All right, since no one posted the actual link to the article, I guess it's upto me :o. Here you go:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Quite frankly, I didn't know that we enclosures like that were available. For the past year and half I've been using my 160GB IDE drive as an external drive, disconnecting and reconnecting wherevery I went ... home, friend's, cousin's :P. No problem till date. But I think I'll buy one of those enclosures for my next HDD. I'm gonna buy a 200 GB by the end of this month I think. If I can use it as a regular external hard drive, that'd be awesome.