xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jedipi

Firefox 2.0 Alpha 1 Is Coming

Finally, Firefox 2.0 alpha 1 is coming.
It will be released by the end of this week .
It has delayed a month already.

In version 2.0 alpha 1, Undo close Tab feature is built in.
That meas you do not need any other extension to get this function.
the new feature Spell-As-You-Type is my most wanted feature
althought it is in English only. This is a great function, isn't it?
just imagine, it will spell out the word for you when you typing.
the time that spend on posting/email will be saved significantly.

source:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/_
wiki mozilla:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It's Alpha, not Beta, please keep this in mind. it is for those
who are willing to testing Alpha software.
Howevery, a lot of people will still use it.

Hmm, it says on the wiki mozilla page that the Undo Closed tab feature is "pushed to A2", so I guess it won't be available until the second Alpha?I don't like this Spell-As-You-Type idea. If the dictionary is included in the default download, it would increase the filesize. But if it can be downloaded seperately (perhaps like an official mozilla extension), it'd be great.

I never really knew their were even extensions giving undo close tab, but now that I think about it I want that feature bad haha :|As far as the spell-as-you-type, not sure how much it would affect me but meh, why not throw it in there (persoanlly the filesize of the proggy is irrelevant to me :o ). I'm glad a major release is on the horizon... no real reason I just like new toys to tinker around with heh.

I'm mildly concerned about the potential of increased file size for the new Firefox. The main reason I ditched Netscape - Firefox's grandpa *smirks* - was because the application became so huge and slow and annoying.But I think that Firefox has a *very* long way to go before reaching that point. I hope Mozilla learned from Netscape and won't go near that problem.Does anybody know if the updated version will solve the problem of Firefox randomly crashing? I still haven't figured out what's wrong with mine (v. 1.5.0.1). And it just occurred to me that I don't hear much about Netscape one way or another anymore. Weird. That used to be *the* browser to use if you hated IE. Oh, how things change in just a few years.

Do you know if your FF crashing is some issue that alot of people have or just you? I've only had FF crash once or twice...ever. If it is a common prob I'm sure they'd be working on it, crash bugs make people stop using software quite regularly :|

you think since firefox was all big and bad that they wouldn't be needing all these browser updates, but since I somewhat use firefox for a just incase my ie is not working right then ok its good that its getting updated.

...Are you implying that because firefox is said to be good they should just never update it? Well... that makes sense :o But yes obviously this update won't mean anything to people who don't use firefox much, except that once the final rev is released it might draw a handful more people away from the painful IE...

It's been released for 4 days now, and I wanted to try it, but I didn't. I was waiting for something... And that something is this: Portal Firefox 2.0 Alpha 1. I just wanted to test the new Alpha, so it was a great solution. Portable Firefox doesn't affect your current Firefox installation (However, you cannot run them both simultaneously--Not even with a Batch file).

I tested some of its new tab features. One big change is that they removed the one "close" button on the right and relocated it on every single tab--just like how it was before Firefox 1.0, if I remember correctly. When there are too many tabs open, the "close" button will only appear on the focused tab and not on any other tabs. I think they moved the button because of complaints from the Mac users of not being able to close unfocused tabs. However, since I'm testing out Bon Echo (the release's codename) on Windows, I can use the scroll button to close unfocused tabs without the extra close button anyway. I can't find any way to get the one close button back, and I miss it...

I also used Bon Echo to do a job which fast click-detecting and fast tab-switching. I had 10 tabs opened for this. It usually takes 3 minutes for Firefox 1.5 to do the job, but it only took Bon Echo 2.5 minutes to do it. And it wasn't hogging a lot of memory afterwards.

They also added the new Places feature. Since it's still in developement, they haven't made good-looking graphics for it yet. The "Go" button at the top (between "View" and "Bookmarks") is now renamed to "History". The Bookmarks and History button is no longer selectable in "Customize Toolbar". That's because the sidebar is gone too. Now, when you want to open the histories or bookmarks, it'll open up the Places dialog where you can search through your places.

Right now, it's not yet possible to delete selected pages in your history (You can do that in 1.5--Just right click>Delete!). You can only clear every page of your history.

So, go here to download Portalble Firefox Bon Echo and try it out!

Awesome, they really try, and work hard to make this software as good as it can be. And as the things stands now, I would say firefox is the best. But, enough nice words... I would defenetly try this alpha release when it comes, and spell-check-as-type sounds like a good idea to me, specially because I was using MS word to do this for me, and now I'll finaly be able to write nice posts with much less grammar mistakes :lol:

I use Firefox 2.0 Beta 1. Its awesome but still keeps crashing and its very buggy, but amazingly they have cool features, e.g. Session Restore, Tabs Scroll, Undo last close tab, but it will be a time before it matures and starts supporting all the extensions, plugins and themes.By the way Firefox 3 (alpha stage codenamed Deer Park) is also availabe and is downloadable from the mozilla ftp servers, it is available on nightly builds

Sorry to burst your bubble guys :D the release of FF 2.0 beta 2 has been delayed due to loads of bug fixes still in the process. It was ment to be released by the end of this week, but has been shifted to the 15th of this month.Whatever is the case, the final release of FireFox 2.0 is set to 26th September.RegardsDhanesh.