xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iceblade1405241492

Looking For A New Desktop. Various Questions.

Well, my computer is over three years old, and from what I've heard, hard drives last about three years. So I have started looking for a new computer, so when my hard drive finally does bite the dust, I can hopefully get back to normal computing quickly.This is also a chance for me to get a much, much needed computer up grade. Right now i'm running a 1.7 Ghz celeron processor with 128 MB of RAM and running windows XP. Since my computer was just about a year away from possible death (about a year ago) I decided not to spend the money to up grade it. Now, however, is my chance.I would like this to be a decent enough computer that it could play, say, guild wars, and possibly some other MMOGs. Right now, I'm looking at a $350 HP desktop that I could up grade to a 2.4 Ghz AMD processor. The default is 2.2 Ghz. The advantage to the 2.4 Ghz besides being more powerful is that it says it can handle 32 bit and 64 bit at the same time, so when Vista comes around and I deem it important to upgrade, I don't have to buy a whole new tower or whatever as well, since it says that it can handle 64 bit apps. Okay, also I was looking at putting a gig of RAM on there. That'd really help preformance for me. I mean, I'm kinda used to my slow computer now, so I can barely imagine it being faster (I mean I can, but a gig is a little under 10 times as fast as this computer is, I think, I guess. I'm no math wiz) So here comes another delima. I've read that Vista will take atleast 512 MB of ram. Meaning that depending how much I will need to let the graphics card use, that wouldn't put much for the game itself. About 256 MB I guess. And thats just an estimate for Vista that was a few months ago (November I think).Okay, next delima, I was looking around on HPs website and I remembered that my dad got a Compaq laptop and he seems to like it okay (though he uses his ibook more, because he prefers macs) so I figured I'd check out the desktops. Well, first I went to the graphics cards. Thats really the deciding point, as there would be a $250 I would get but it has an integrated graphics card. So I was looking at compaqs like I said, and they were selling a 256 ATI radeon card 1300x pro I think it was already installed on the machine etc. for $170. That was pretty tempting, because I don't think my dad would let me try to install hardware myself. Besides that, it looked like it could play pretty much any game for me. However, it was on compaq desktops only, and when doing a search, and talking to better hardware oriented computer friends, they said compaqs weren't very good. Are Geforce 6200 SE cards any good? I think there is like, 64 MB of RAM on it. I mean, I understand that unless I put the graphics card in my self, it won't be that up to date and that great, but in small relativity...So, thats basicly where I am at. So far, my dad understand that I want:2.2 Ghz AMD Athlon Processor1 gig of RAMGeforce 6200 SE with 64 MB of RAM with it.Grand total: $509.99 I think. I'd like to throw another $260 of stuff on there (another gig, if it woulde helpful....) and a faster processor, if that would also be helpful. The processor is $80, the RAM is like $180. RAM could be added later fairly easy if I deem it terribly necisary. However, a processor can't, I don't think. So I am considering asking for an up grade in that if it is considered a good improvement for $80Comments? Basicly what I am asking is are the things I outlined above what my dad has already agreed to good enough to play some good games, or am I seriously just lacking in everything? One of the things that makes me especially want/need a windows is because of all the games I have collected the past six years orso. Well, thanks for everyones input. In advance. (sorry, after all this, if it is the wrong board. Additionally I am sorry for any grammer and spelling mistakes.)EDIT: Something else, building really isn't an option either. As the most my dad as done is put RAM into his laptop which just consisted of lifting up his keyboard and probably had step by step instructions. I don't know half the parts that I would need to build a computer, let a lone how to actually build is. Besides the fact that I would probably get bored with it or mess something up.Also, is a sound card something I should invest in? Does it really make that much of a difference? So long as I can hear decent sound, I'm okay with it.

Edited by iceblade (see edit history)

The first thing that I would do? Check into upgrading the current system. That might actually be less expensive than buying a new desktop and upgrading it to meet your specifications. I say that because you're talking about upgrading to Vista at some point. Not necessarily right after the new OS comes out (which I wouldn't advise anyway), but you're right about it requiring more memory to run. (When has Microsoft released a new OS that *hasn't* required more? Hehe.) If I were you, I would consider doing minimal upgrading on the current system so that it will do what you need and saving the rest of your money for a new system after Vista's been out for awhile. That way you won't have bought and upgraded a system only to find that it's not what Vista needs. For what you're talking about investing in a system, you can get a really good one from Dell after Vista's been out awhile and the new, bigger system requirements are pretty much the standards installations across the boards. Then again, I pretty much always recommend putting off chucking the current system for as long as possible simply because technology improves and drives prices down for yesterday's stuff.

The first thing that I would do? Check into upgrading the current system. That might actually be less expensive than buying a new desktop and upgrading it to meet your specifications.
I say that because you're talking about upgrading to Vista at some point. Not necessarily right after the new OS comes out (which I wouldn't advise anyway), but you're right about it requiring more memory to run. (When has Microsoft released a new OS that *hasn't* required more? Hehe.) If I were you, I would consider doing minimal upgrading on the current system so that it will do what you need and saving the rest of your money for a new system after Vista's been out for awhile. That way you won't have bought and upgraded a system only to find that it's not what Vista needs.

For what you're talking about investing in a system, you can get a really good one from Dell after Vista's been out awhile and the new, bigger system requirements are pretty much the standards installations across the boards.
Then again, I pretty much always recommend putting off chucking the current system for as long as possible simply because technology improves and drives prices down for yesterday's stuff.

However, the flip side of that is I hear vista was pushed back. I know that technically my hard drive COULD last for four years or more... But, when Vista comes out, it'll be ALOT more then buying say, an XP system. I could get a some what decent system for $500 now... I mean, I appreciate the input. I asked for the input, so yeah. Thanks :o

Anyone else?

What EXACTLY do you want? I mean, if you aren't building a custom system there isn't much we can help you with. If I were you, I would either ask for a friend who knew about that to build the system for me or pay someone else to do it. Why? It's cheaper and you'll get a better system.About the config you showed,CPU : 2.2 Ghz AMD Athlon Processor - That doesn't says much about it. AMD doesn't rates it's processors on Hertz. If you know the processor's name, that would help a lot.RAM : 1 gig of RAM - For now, that's good enough. And you can easily add more later.VGA : Geforce 6200 SE - I'm not exactly updated on this, but if I had to choose now (keeping price on mind) a nVidia card (I prefer ATI) I would get an GeForce 6600 GT PCI-eUh, did you forgot the motherboard?I would buy a sound card. My pc has only onboard sound and it usually works ok, but not always. And sound cards are pretty cheap anyway, so why not? :o

In my opinion, if you're looking for a good, avidgaming computer, I'd recommend building a custom one. My cousin spent barely 200-300 dollars for the whole set (separate parts) and put them together to form a pretty good processor with over 1gig of RAM and a 256 DDR RAM (Radeon 9250). The only kinds of computers for which you would buy from a shop would be the laptops and tablets. But those are worthless anyhow and last way much lesser than a desktop. Come to think of it, this is my desktop's 3rd year already and it's still pretty strong.