xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sujith

Need A Free CMS Help needed to find a good CMS

Try PHP-Nuke for ease of install and plenty of "themes" and many unofficial support sites. All kinds of blocks and modules and addons for it. Ther home page is right HERE It uses phpBB2 for its forums and you can find ported MODs for it especially if you go to my site since I port MODs for the PHP-Nuke version of PHP-Nuke, send me a PM and I'll give you a link to it.

For about 3 years I was using PHPNuke and have just moved onto Dragonfly. Dragonfly is extremely effecient, simple to install and use and I had my re-done site up in 10 minutes flat..

There are a number of free opensource CMS available and you can compare, utilize the user and admin demos and even put in, edit and delete content at OpensourceCMS.com

By checking out the functionality, and the kind of output you get, by utilizing the demos for each CMS, you'll get a fair idea of what you want.

Personally I utilize dragonfly because it's got a blog, forum, picutre gallery, calendar, downloads and has the option of integrating a bunch of other modules including an e-commerce module that patches in through your subscribed payment gateway. On the long run, a really good deal.

All the best.

If you get an hosting account (paid or free here) then you will most likely get Fantastico. It comes with scripts that are easy to install, and the CMS list is quite extensive.Personally, I think that Joomla/Mambo are the best ones for commercial sites, but not good for personal ones.I detest PHPNuke/Postnuke simply due to their organised mess.From this, I have learnt that it is sometimes best to start building your own - I have and it will have the features that I want, and I can extend it at a later point.--mik

Thanks for your repliesSome more doubts.Which is the best CMS if we take availability of good templates and visual interface.I plan put some articles,some guides[tutorials].a blog [wordpress or something like that]and some more fun stuff.Please reply

The only thing I would suggest is to go to the home page of all of them, possibly actually install them one at a time, look at the available addons, etcetera and then make a decision. You could google for CMS then find all kinds of CMS systems. If you want to try them out locally then you would need a web server PHP and MySQL installed in most cases to try them out locally and if you don't like it remove it and if you do then upload it to Xisto and actually use it.