xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Where to start Programming ?

I want to learn how to crate new programs but i dont know where to begin. Please tell me the best or easy to use program that will help me create new programs. B) Thanks

I want to learn how to crate new programs but i dont know where to begin. Please tell me the best or easy to use program that will help me create new programs. B) Thanks

It's good that you want to learn how to create programs, that's a start. We just need to know what types of programs you'd be interested and the direction you'd take e.g is this for a career or just a hobby.

If it's for a career you must see what employers are looking for, which limits your choice of languages although these languages are still good to use.

When I started out programming, I tried a myriad of languages before settling on something I felt had a lot of potential. That was C.

If I were to choose a language now though without programming knowledge, it would probably be along the lines of learning Python fully. I think this language has potential to be bigger than what it's at now.

Cheers,

MC

for beginners you should try to learn C first before any other language since its like the foundation of modern programming. Some other programming languages are based on C syntax, like for example Javascript and PHP. So its a good starting point to study C. Then after you learn a lot in C move to C++ for your introduction to object programming. Don't go directly to Java since it will not let you understand thouroughly about object programming. C is a very powerful language that it is used and still being use today in developing the WINDOWS operating system even the Windows XP OS.

I started all the way back with javascript. I think its a good way to start with something like Javascript because it will easilly let you learn the absoulte basics of programming like variables, timing, logic gates etc. Then id suggest PHP because thats the way I went and i found that php is a really fun language to learn because with languages like visual basic and C etc.. you have to think of something to program like a calculator and youll soon get bored of that, where as with php you can make things like guestbooks, logins, maybe forums if you stick with it and then use them on your websites. Then I guess step up to languages like VB and C. I think i did it wrong by using VB before learning C because im having huge difficulties learning C. Although VB is also good for understanding the fundamentals especially events in programs.

I remember the easiest language that I started with was "Q-BASIC" its probably the easiest lanauage out there to start with. I learned it back in highschool, which I created a little cool ping pong game with. You might consider that as your first language for motivation in writing programs, because from there it just get more difficult and more complex, well good luck to you and your journey to the land of stressful programming...haha

I remember the easiest language that I started with was "Q-BASIC" its probably the easiest lanauage out there to start with. I learned it back in highschool, which I created a little cool ping pong game with. You might consider that as your first language for motivation in writing programs, because from there it just get more difficult and more complex, well good luck to you and your journey to the land of stressful programming...haha

BASIC! I remember that. I learnt it when I was a 6th or 7th grader. Yes, that gave me the basics of programming. I could code a program from a flow chart back then. It gave me a lot to think about, as I went about experimenting and creating graphical demos(4 coloured CGA graphics).

Then I moved on to C and soon I learned C++. That was where I grew my programming skills stronger, and I could do programs at intermediate to advanced levels.

Then, as a professional, I am honing my skills and I must say that there is nothing like real experience. As a job requirement, I learned Perl, ProC and PL/SQL. Starting to learn Java these days.

On a side note, I learned HTML, a bit of VBScript and JScript, and then now starting of with PHP.

Now that was me. I would say you learn C first and then you can move on to Java. On the web-development front, go for PHP after learning basics of HTML.

If your into making basic games like Mario or something, you could try Turing, its a basic programming language and is used in most highschools in grade 10.