xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

Linksys Compatibility Problem

I won't exactly call it a problem because it isn't now but used to be. OK so i bought my Linksys PCI adapter in Singapore so my sis could use the internet at the same time as i am. But it couldn't detect the (I'm guessing" weak signal emitted from my cheap router. My computer (Which isn't using the linksys adapter) uses a cheap external wireless adapter the same brand as the router and it connects perfectly. When i called linksys to ask why it didn't work, they told me its because the signal is very weak and when i tried like nudge it a little it connects for like a second before it fails. So nevermind...i just wasted my money (You can't return goods in Singapore)Now in U.S., i buy a linksys router and using a motorola cable modem. This time its supposed to be the linksys adapter (I brought it over from Singapore) that would be favored, not my Compex (The cheap brand) external wireless adapter. Surprisingly, my compex external adapter connected to the linksys router perfectly with "Excellent" written. I tried it out with my linksys adapter and of course it worked but the connection would always show as "Low" or "Good" never "Excellent" or "Very Good" or somewhere around that. Also, when i set up my linksys router, i have to set it to "Wireless B only", not "B and G". My linksys adapter uses G while my Compex adapter uses B. My linksys adapter could switch to B anytime though. If i put the setting as "B and G" my compex will not connect. But my linksys one will but with still a "Low" connection. So really what's the problem here? I don't think its a matter of rooms because the router is in the room right underneath the computer with the linksys adapter while my compex adapter is a little further away. B) Thanks!

I dont know a great deal about wireless, I dont know how this would effect because it is in range. But maybe it is something 2 do with the frequencies (you bought the linsys adaptor in sinagpore, didn't). Other that or it could be a signal problem, even though you said it was above the router, there may possibly be a sheet of steel in between the stories on your house, which i think should completely reflect the signal.But im not saying this is the problem, i am just guessing.

Fortunately, the different brands and everything wasn't the problem. It was because all the wireless adapters were configured differently and i mean ABSOLUTELY different. My uncle came over and fixed all that for me though, he's a network genius. He told me one of the computers was absolutely open to anybody in the neighborhood :lol: , and the other 2 had messed up network settings. So he made them all the same and there was the other problem about connecting to the printer which wouldn't work and he told me it was because the Lexmark X7170 uses the IPX protocol after some research and he fixed that up for me. That was a few weeks ago and now I've reformatted my computer. The only thing that doesn't work is the printer again but i can always ask my uncle again. Ahh...i love my family. :lol:

When buying network equipment and installing it try to kkep all equipment from the same manufacturer. Though this is not a definate solution it will negate most minor inconsistancies. Once the hardware is in it is best to remove all existing network connections unless absolutely needed as the settings might not be compatible for the configuration you are looking to impliment.Best to start from fresh and this should negate most problems.

I've had a problem like yours with Linksys products.It's led me to believe that cheap products must be better then them!If you do find a fix or find out the problem then please do post as I still have the Linksys's stashed away in a cupboard somewhere!I tried looking and looked for ages but gave up.It would be nice though to be able to use them...Saf

What model of linksys router is it? Apparently some linksys routers are plagued with troubles. My ex gf bought one and it gives her hell....she went and did a google search for her model number and found many people with similiar complaints.Of course it's nice to have everything of the same brand but generally it should not make a difference and should at least work decently...I think linksys just sucks...go for a better brand next time like d-link.

I use a LinkSys network at home. I rarely have problems with it. It is true that there have been some buggy firmware releases for my router but either upgrading again or restoring the previous version usually solved the problem. The real problem with LinkSys is the absolute lack of documentation. I mean if you aren't a network professional, setting up your router for anything other than a basic home network is a real nightmare.My biggest problem on the wireless side of the network is that the windows wireless network configuration options don't really match what the server wants. So I had a lot of trouble securing the wireless network since all of the security settings in windows had to match settings on the router but the options frequently didn't match. Everytime Id set up the password on the router, even though the same password was entered in the computer, the connection was refused. I finally got eeverything figured out but I don't remember how. I just make sure I don't bother thoses settings now. :(Other than litle things like that, everything works well. All of my server requests are routed to the correct machine and I haven't had any security problems. Most of my ports are strictly closed and the ones that are open are pretty harmless as long as the handling program is running and working correctly. There is one note about the firewall. For some of the online games, the computer I play the game on has to be set as the DMZ while I'm playing. This causes a couple of problems. The first problem is that my server requests are routed to whatever machine is designated the DMZ. The second is that all ports are open to the machine designated as the DMZ. Basically, all requests made to the router are forwarded to the DMZ machine. If your firewall on your DMZ computer is not properly configured, your system can be left open to the internet without protection. I always turn the DMZ settings off after I finish playing.This isn't really the router's fault, the server interface software for the games I ply use several ports to send and receive data during the game. Inn my opinion, the software uses too many ports but I didn't design the software. The documentation for the software either leaves out some of the required ports or doesn't provide you with the correct information to properly set your router to work with their software.vujsa

Considering the price difference between linksys and other brands isn't all that much, I don't see why people should pay for crappy manualling though. It's fine and dandy if you already have it and are a network professional but if you are just the regular home user intending to buy a new one, why bother?