xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nick Erwin

Ccleaner Marked As Adware

In a recent bad move from the developers of the Crap Cleaner (CCleaner) software they have started to bundle Yahoo! Toolbar. Many long time users, pc technicians, and even new users have been complaining about the recent addition of the Yahoo! Toolbar. With the inclusion of the toolbar the download size has more than doubled.
But this is not going without notice. Earlier today Softpedia revoked CCleaner's 100% Clean (No Spyware, No Adware, No Viruses) award. The Softpedia staff explain the reason for the removal of the award in clear red letters to warn users who may wish to download the software.

CCleaner now contains Yahoo! toolbar, therefore the award has been removed and the program marked as adware.

Perhaps the loss of the Softpedia award and the outcries of the users will help the developers of CCleaner to remove the toolbar and better listen to their users. Do you think the developers of CCleaner will listen? No. After taking over three months to solve a simple bug that was wiping out settings for MSN Messenger despite a solution being posted on their forums, the removal of the toolbar more than likely won't be a top priority on their list either.

Read More

Notice from twitch:
If you are going to copy content from another site, then put it into quote tags.

Edited by twitch (see edit history)

This is very strange. I use CCleaner, and have the latest version (I have been using it for a very long time now) and I have had no troubles. The latest versions do come with the Yahoo Toolbar, but you have the choice to install it. One problem I do find though is when you are installing it, the installer will only work on computers with internet access. IF you tell it not to update, then it closes the installer before it has done anything.

I also use CCleaner and ask users to use it. This is a shame that they are adding Yahoo Toolbar in it. I'm not saying that the toolbar is bad, but we all know it's a no-no to start including other programs in the main one especially when they are not really related.I didn't try the new install yet, but is the option to install Yahoo Toolbar checked already? If so, that's just plain wrong. I don't care if they allow the user to install it or not, as I'm sure 99% (or more B)) users don't even read through the install instructions (which in a way is their fault also).

Yeah, I hated additions to my toolbars, and the yahoo one is worthless compared to the google one. Still, I want only a few toolbars on my list, like the normal stop and back buttons, and the address bar itself. Also the file, edit, view, booksmarks, etc ones. That's basically all we need...