xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jedipi

Groupbar, Another Taskbar From Microsoft

Windows TaskBar will become mess after you open lots of windows.
the group function did not manage them well.
Therefore, Microsoft VIBE development group released a small
tool to do this job. The name of the tool is Group Bar.

The newest version of GroupBar is 1.2. Installation is not required
in order to use this tool. All you need is click on GroupBar.exe file.
You can put a shortcut in StartUp folder.

The main function of GroupBar is to manage the taskbar. the
minimized windows will place in the groupbar. The GroupBar
itself can be minimized, Clolapse and Layout Group.

There is function called "SnapShot" in GroupBar (the Camera icon).
It records the position and context of each window and save it as
a GSS file. You can load this GSS file later to get all the windws back.

It is a very good software for people who alway have lots of windows
in their desktop. Give it a try.

Download:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/search/

It's got a lot of functions, but it lacks compatibility with the taskbar the system already has.

Intuitiveness: After I first downloaded and started it, it pushed my whole screen to the right because it docked itself on the left side of the screen. I right-clicked it to look for a way to undock it, but I couldn't find it. I tried the "Add new bar", and that duplicated another one of the bar docked in the same spot, and I couldn't close it. So I had to "Close All Bars", then start the program again. Then, I tried dragging it somewhere else, but it didn't hint to me that it really works (the default taskbar does that by creating an outline of a box at the place it's going to), so I couldn't do it at first. Finally, I figured out that dragging does work, after a few minutes.

Customizability: The buttons aren't customizable at all. I can't change the position of the time, I can't remove the buttons, and I especially don't like the Start button. When I have this program open, I get 2 start buttons. If I click any one of them, the menu will first pop up as it would normally, but then, it'd suddenly pop away to the place where the program's start button is. Very annoying.

Compatibility: Since the bar isn't customizable, the quick launch bar which I often use in my normal taskbar cannot be added to this. Also, after I've change the position of the bar and exit from the program, it will go back to its default spot, which is docked at the left.

Features: This is the best part of the program, and I think that is what the developers intended it to be too. You can drag different task buttons to do a couple of things. You can drag it right next to another item on the bar to reorder it, just like the feature that Firefox and many other browsers have. If you drag the task on top of another task button or group, you would place them in one group, and you can minimize, maximize, etc. all of the windows in the group together. Also, when they are in a group, you can place all the windows on your screen in 3 selectable kinds of grid system, which could be useful when you have the need to see multiple windows at once.

I like the drag and drop feature a lot. But since it doesn't fit into my system very well, I'd suggest that you only download it to try out the cool features it has. Open it only when you have a special job to do, and it should be beneficial to your tasks (ooh, a pun).

what do you expect from m**rosoft? of course they will try to hog all that is working great right now. they hog the Internet Browser industry, the messenger industry, the anti spyware industry all that they could not think of and somebody did they will hog it. for some reasons they dont really make good things out of it hheehheeh