xisto Community
marretas

How To Install Applications In Fedora noob question

usually, the mp3 player is automatically installed when you install fedora.Else, you will have to read from the documentation how to re-install it.Which way do you want to share files ? Do you want to share files between several computers on your home network, all of them using Linux ? then, use nfs.If you want to share files with Windows computers on your home network, install Samba (if it's not installed yet) and use it.If you want some other types of file sharing, this works with some servers and some applications, then you must go on the site of the sharing suppliers and download the version for fedora.RegardsYordan

usually, the mp3 player is automatically installed when you install fedora.

Else, you will have to read from the documentation how to re-install it.

Which way do you want to share files ? Do you want to share files between several computers on your home network, all of them using Linux ? then, use nfs.

If you want to share files with Windows computers on your home network, install Samba (if it's not installed yet) and use it.

If you want some other types of file sharing, this works with some servers and some applications, then you must go on the site of the sharing suppliers and download the version for fedora.

Regards

Yordan

1064337818[/snapback]

thks for replying, but i want to share files like i usually did with Windows, i want to donwload mp3 and movies , i usually in windows used P2P tools such as Imesh, kazaa this kind of applications. For linux i've downloaded gnutellla but it doesn't brings a Executable file. I've tryed to download documentations to learn how install it but i could find a good one . So i ask here for more experienced people give me tips or explain how to do it. cheers :)

.exe files cannot be read by Linux unless you install something called WINE (WINE IS Not an Emulator) http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

As for your MP3, download Banshee or AmaroK.

For newcomers, best to install using the RPM package manager.

I tend to use the console to install stuff since it's faster.

The command for installing RPM packages is: sudo rpm -ivh (root password required)
to uninstall, it is: sudo rpm -e (root password required)
to see the package information: rpm -qi

Happy Linuxing!
xboxrulz

For file sharing, you want to enable Samba on your Fedora box. I'm guessing this is sharing over a LAN from Linux to Windows. Most likely Samba is already installed and you'll just need to enable it during startup.MP3 should come standard, so don't worry about that.Fedora Core is RPM based, so your lucky, it should make software installs a TON easier for you if you are new.FYI, this will save your life if you are trying install software. You'll want to become bestfriends with this command....yumYum is all you need to install packages and software on FC. Google that word, and you should be fine.

dont forget the pasics...

if you ever need information on a Unix based system, use the man (short for manual command)

running

man rpm

will tell you everything you need to know, and tons more about package installation.

usually in windows used P2P tools such as Imesh, kazaa

Also, remember that in most countries, using kazaa and other peer-to-peer things are forbidden. Be sure that you will not have legal problems when confessing using them.

Well... using kazaa to download copyright protected data is prohibited :P I'm sure no one will get sued over downloading a linux iso off one or other freely distributed software :)But yes, as mentioned make sure to download the rpm version of software. Usually for linux downloads they have you select one based on your distro (In this case, Fedora) and it'll give you an RPM. If I remember correctly a simple double click will prompt you for the root password and then it would install the software. As mentioned this can also be accomplished by using the command line from a terminal window.If you are new to linux, I would suggest googling for introduction to linux and/or Fedora websites. You don't need anything major, just get the basics of the command line and terminology down. It helps alot in the long run. Hope you get everything set up as needed and congratulations on making a venture into the world of linux.

Cafe timer

How To Install Applications In Fedora

I want to install internet cafe timer on my computer. I am new to Linux and I have both Fedora and freespire, can someone assist me please? I have been using Windows and had no problems with it but now am in a fix. Please assist me.

Richard.

-question by Richard

you can use the YUM..it's like apt-get in debian..for example: yum -i apacheand you will install the apache completly and with no errors.. and the best part is: you will get the lastest version of the program and stable =Ptype "YUM -help" and read the all tge the tutorial..it's not hard to use, it's easy! ;Dgood luck!

The simplest way to install software in fedora 9

How To Install Applications In Fedora

The simplest way to install software in fedora 9 is to go to system/administraton/add or remove progrmas

-reply by pchacker

How to Install EXE files in Fedora 10How To Install Applications In Fedora

Sir/ Madam,

I am new to Linux using Fedora 10.

How do I install my samsung USB modem data cable(for GPRS internet connection) which is a EXE file ?

How do I install other exe ?

I have downloaded wine-1.1.21.Tar.Bz2, but how do I install it ?

Please. Help.

Regards

Santosh

MP3 is a copy right protected and so Red Hat/ Fedora do not support it by default. You have to install Wine through which you can install Windows Installable Applications in Fedora/RedHat/Linux. Now after you have installed Wine, install Winamp (Which is basically installed in Windows) using wine. Right click on the .Exe file of the winamp installer and select Run with Wine Application. Follow the steps and you will be able to install Winamp. Winamp has certain codecs of its own which helps to play MP3. Believe it as I have installed winamp in fedora 11 and listened all the MP3s I have. Hope ypu will enjoy.

-reply by Jishukesh Chakraborty