xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nightfox1405241487

Need Help With Designing My LAN

Since I got a new router and have some equipment that doesn't work, I've been proposed ideas for my LAN. I have a wireless LinkSys router (4 port switch on back). Because wireless is terrible on my side of the house (I sometimes drop connections), there is currently a 50 foot cable running from the router, through the house, to my room where it goes into a network hub, then it branches to one computer and to my computer.I can't have the long cable running through the house. My dad is getting annoyed with it and so am I because I can't close my bedroom door real easily without carefully moving the cable.Solution 1: Wireless Network Bridge.Bridge placed in my room and connects to the network wirelessly.Solution 2: Wire the House.Put a wired connection all over the house. Which will really help me. I can't easily print large print jobs wirelessly. Pages 1-2 may come out at the network printer or they may not. The printer may have a bad print job due to data packets being lost.Wired doesn't bug my dad. He doesn't mind running cables through the walls and allover. Plus there is a wireless connection for those places without cables or I may place wireless access points.Any ideas?[N]F

I think you should try relocating the wireless AP/router/switch. Locate it closer to your room but not so far away from any other computer in the house.Take that 50' cable from your router to your nearest system (I'm assuming that you go ISP -> cable/DSL modem -> router -> comptuers) and insert it between the modem and router. That would get the router up to 50' closer (less if you follow the wals around and hide it) to your system which should reduce your dropped connections. There wouldn't be any additional cost for that option. You might give it a try and see if it works out before buying more equipement. Then your computer can bridge to the hub to provide LAN to the other PC on the hub or vice versa.As I understand the wireless network, each wireless device comunicates with every other (in range) wireless device. As a result, adding an additional wireless access point even if it isn't connected to the switch or hub, should repeat the wireless signal throughout the house. LinkSys also offers repeaters I believe and I know they have signal boosters and larger antenas.Wiring the entire house is a lot of work unless you hire an installer. Fishing wire gets real old after about one cable.If you could give us a better description of the existing network it would help us determine the best course of action. Maybe upload a diagram of the network and systems connected to it.Good Luck,vujsa

Try reading this book called "Lan Wiring Second Edition". Well, i am 16 years old, and i have no clue as to why i read it, considering i use all wireless. But it would help you, all the way from krone connecting blocks to two piece modular jack assemblies. I need a life.