xisto Community
juventino79

Windows Vista Question

It looks like it will be released in the first (maybe the second) week of October this year. The final BETA version was February's release. About gaming...Bill gates said that we will "move on to something better than Solitaire or Reversi" :P I will buy a new computer until then. I don't think a 3.0 GHz machine is really needed. Bill also said that Intel will release a new series of proccessors that will work with the Vista. We'll live and see... :o

Edited by Rammstein On Fire (see edit history)

The original specs for Vista were extensive, and essentially, at the time of publication, would require everyone to purchase a new computer. Since then, the specs have been scaled back. The projected release date is sometime in Ocotbe,r but MS reserves the right to change it at will, and no set date has been established. Although all of the major bugs (or at least, the ones that prevent the system from working, not security holes and the like) are in the beta stage. The reason for the holdup is decisions such as what to do with things like OpenGL. Originally, MS wanted to only give Vista DirectX support, and then they decided to allow OpenGL support by converting OpenGL to DirectX. I don't know if they have finally given in and allowed for OpenGL full support or not, but if they don't, OpenGL will have to release a new library for Vista. Vurrently, Vista has 6 (really 12, a 32-bit and 64-bit of each) versions planned, which you can see here(MS) and here(PCWorld). MS only lists five as it does not inclue the starter edition on its list. For a list of known hardware that will support all versions of Vista except for possibly enterprise head here. Although, many items have vague definitions, such as modern cpu, there are lists of known hardware that will work, and you can assume most hardware with like or exceeding capabilities will work. I would not, however, count on similarity, such as NVIDIA technology vs. ATI tecehnology for various processes. Hope this answers many questions.

~Viz

Does anyone know out there when Vista will be available to buy and how much it will cost?? Does anyone have any Beta version they are testing? I would like to know what you think about it. Is it true that your pc starts up and shutsdown within 3 seconds. I cant wait to check it out for myself.

I did have it and was testing it. I overwrote it with Debian Linux because Vista requires too much out of systems. Personally, no offense to anyone, I think it is an ADD playground (probably why I was overwhelmed with it, though I haven't been tested for ADD) and is quite buggy. It thought my 100 Mbps network was a 1 Gbps, lol. All that's left are screenshots for a review I'm writing for my website and my school's website.

But personally, I didn't like it that much. Other than the intense graphic effect, it was alright. But personally, I'll stick to Windows XP and Debian.

[N]F

Edit: Oh, btw, it is supposed to be out in late 06 or early 07 to mid 07. And, for the cost, depends on which of the 6 versions you want, :o (hence the reason why I'm sticking with Linux and WinXP on my other comp)

Edited by nightfox (see edit history)

xboxrulz, did you bother to look at the link of already supported hardware I posted? It has on it severla mobile chips that don't even have a 3.0GHz processor yet, such as the Core Duo. In addition, no specific speed has been established for Vista, but I know there have been successful installs of the betas on desktops with single core <3.0GHz processors. If you have a mid to high end P4 or AMD equivalent, you should be okay for a switch to vista.~Viz

vizskywalker, not everyone currently are running P4s. It is still considered top of the line CPU although it has been introduced 3-4 years ago. For example, I've seen some people in Europe still running on 333MHz machines.

North American, on the other hand usually try to catch up with technology, Windows Vista still requires at least a 2.0 GHz+ machine as far as I've heard.

That's still ridiculous.

xboxrulz

EDIT: This is more insane

Memory: At least 512 megabytes (Encouraged to use ECC memory [6])

-- Wikipedia

Now, even when I can play graphics intense games, I only have Vista's bare minimum of 512 MB RAM, not everyone's going to have that type of oomph power.
Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

im not sure where but i had heard somewhere there is supposed to be a stripped down version especially for gamers, or at least a setting you can set so only required files startup so that would take less memory leaving more for gaming

In response to xboxrulez, it is true that manby people still use PIII and whatnot, heck the computer I use most frequently has 384MB RAM with a Celeron processor overclocked to 716MHz. But for most computers bought recently (within, let's say, past three years) Vista will probably run well on them. Any computer purchased within the last year will probably handle Vista nicely. Although it is still a system hog, it is not the "everyone buy 3.0GHz 64bit processors with 1GB RAM and an NVIDIA chipset 6xxx or ATI chipset X card" that it was originally going to be.~Viz

well, still would you be able to convince everyone just to buy a new computer just for Windows Vista? Many places I've seen in Europe and parts of North America still runs on mostly Windows 2000 on Pentium III or less. I've even seen Windows 95 still in use. ME too.I say that M$ is insane for releasing this powerhog, XP was hogging enough already.xboxrulz

MS sin't planning on Vista tking over soon, as a matter of fact, they are plaaning on it not being popular unitl around 2008, which gives them mroe time to work on things like what to do with OpenGL. They expect people with PIIIs to use XP in the emantime.~Viz

Well, not technically, support for XP isn't ditched, just scaled into the critical need only phase. And since XP has been planned to move into that phase in December 2006 since late 2003, I don't think we can say it is Vista's fault. And I am fairly certain that the low grade version of Vista will work on low end PCs, just as XP works on computers with speeds to low to handle it, just not extremely well. And many people dn't care about the new patches, don't notice when thye come out, so it doesn't matter to them. Also, most of the people who find holes and cracks and write viruses will immediately move to performing the same things on Vista in anticipation of the shift to Vista. So no, I don't think this quite counts as "forced upgrade" aside fromt he fact that forced upgrade is more properly applied to software that ceases to work when new versions are released, or when the key function of the program is diminshed or voided by new versions, such as antivirus programs not issuing updates of virus definitions to old versions.~Viz

Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system has been beset with another delay. After clearly pinpointing the holiday season of 2006 for launch, the company has now revised their primary launch period to 2007.
Jim Allchin, co-president of Microsoft's Platforms & Services Division, told analysts that the target time has been bumped to January 2007 for all consumer versions of Windows. He also said that editions aimed at business users would be available as early as November through volume licensing programs.

Read more at - http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2006/03/6433-2/

I knew it wouldn't make it out this year :o No one believed me, but I had a feeling it'd be delayed again... I wonder if that will convince them to extend the main support for xp... at least until vista (finally) gets a true release. Probably not since, as mentioned, they'll still take care of anythign critical for some time to come. <sarcasm>Oh Microsoft, how wonderful ye be </sarcasm>