xisto Community
snutz411

Gigabit LAN so so fast

Well in about 3 months, I'll be moving back into a house with my college friends.The house is full of computer science majors (including me) with a bunch of gaming computers (not me).We already have a network setup throughout the house, but it is my task to upgrade the whole thing.The first piece of equipment to be replaced is the current Wireless Router which will be upgraded so a Linksys Gigabit Switch (10/100/1000) with 5 ports. 4 of the 5 ports are gigabit, while the last one is 100mb. The four computers in the house that game the most will be using the gigabit ports for obvious reasons. The fifth port will be connected to a DLink wireless router through the uplink port which will just extend our nettwork for the wireless users in the house (me). Now from the Dlink wireless router we will connect a 5 port switch (basic 10/100) for random devices that need connection to the LAN like our XBOXes or PS2s.Fun stuff but the gigabit router alone will run about $340. The other equipment is already in the house and CAT5 is plentiful. We might even add a printer server during this process, but that's what the second switch is for.

Oh Mercy! $340 for the Linksys router? That's horridly expensive, even if the router provides ensures immaculate connectivity. I assume you're going to divide that sum by 5, right?But it's a very structured network you guys have. Perfect accomodation for the current computers, and plenty left for future additions. I suppose that's what you get when you put 5 Computer Science majors in one place. :smile:Would you tell us about the performace of the Gigabit router when you get it installed? That'd be a great piece of information.Thanks, snutz. Cheers.

Oh Mercy!  $340 for the Linksys router?  That's horridly expensive, even if the router provides ensures immaculate connectivity.  I assume you're going to divide that sum by 5, right?

But it's a very structured network you guys have.  Perfect accomodation for the current computers, and plenty left for future additions.  I suppose that's what you get when you put 5 Computer Science majors in one place.  :smile:

Would you tell us about the performace of the Gigabit router when you get it installed?  That'd be a great piece of information.

Thanks, snutz.  Cheers.

1064335723[/snapback]

Yea, I'll post again when we find out how well the gigabit router works and if it is worth the investmest, but this won't be until April when I move back.

We'll definitely get some good benchmarks because the computers that will benefit the most will be a network hog with all the LAN games.

We also got a dedicated Linux box so all of us have a Shell account that we can SSH into and some server space. The reason for the print server is because I haven't found a way to get our current printer to work under Linux. Its a Lexmark printer with no available drivers for Linux (not even CUPS will work with it).

The biggest task for me and my roommates will be to rewire the entire house...due the lack of thinking of the guys who did it before. We got CAT5 hanging everywhere and its in the way when we walk through some hallways and the position of the wireless router cuts out half of the signal which causes the connection to fail every now and then.

for the new router...I would suggest a different one then the lynxsys one. I'm an avid gamer myself and I would suggest one by DLink called the Gamers Lounge, it is also Gigabit capable and runs a protocol called "gamers Fuel" that gives priority to games. Just a suggestion here is a link to the DLink Gamers Lounge.

I assume you're going to divide that sum by 5, right?

You have to divide the sum by 4, and not by 5.As a matter of fact, only 4 people will have access to the 1giga throughput, the 5th one will use a wifi device, so he has to pay 1/5 of a cheap 100 megs/sec device.

The four computers in the house that game the most will be using the gigabit ports for obvious reasons

Sorry to be a wet blanket..... BUT.

take the game "Counter Strike: Source"

this game uses 10kbps of bandwidth.

So the lag factor here is due to latency, NOT bandwidth.

in gigabit network, provided that the bandwidth useage is below 100% the latency is no greater than a 10Mbit network.

As far as gaming is concerned, the 1gig network is a waste of money.

Unless you are planning streaming several DVD video's simultaniusly, anything faster that 100Mbit is wasted.

If you go ahead with this, just for arguemnt sake, try replacing the 1Gig router with a 100Mbit router.. if there is any differance to gaming, i will eat y hat, with a large helping of tobasco source :D

After doing some more research on gigabit routers/switches, it seems that I have been sorely misquoted on the price of the gigabit switch I had in mind.There is an 8-port Dlink gigabit switch available at newegg.com for around $50-60.And even if there would be minimal improvements for LAN gaming alone, keep in mind that there are about 8 people in the house. All have computers, all browse the web, all are on IM. Between the 8 of us, we do enough computing for a small IT office.Not everyone is a computer science major, we got some business majors as well...

keep in mind that there are about 8 people in the house. All have computers, all browse the web, all are on IM

Your internet connection is possably 3Megabit MAXIMUM.

Even a very old 10Mbit home network would easily handle 3Mbit internet (with a 7 Mbits to spare)

but i dont think you can even buy 10Mbit cards anymore.

and as for instant messageing.....
How fast are you planning on Typing !!!

You dont need a Gigabit LAN.

A Gigabit lan will offer zero improvements in gaming experiance.

It will not improve internet performance.

It will be a waste of money.

Unless ofcourse you are planning on gaming, whilst simultaniously transfereing files the size of DVD's across the network.

Use a 100Mbit network, and wherever possable, uses switches instead of hubs.

There is an 8-port Dlink gigabit switch available at newegg.com for around $50-60.

Well if the quality is good the price might be worth it considering some other hubs which don't have a gigabit switch and cost about $100. I seriously believe linksys is overrated. Their products are good i have to admit but the service you get from customer help is horrible from the last time i actually tried to ask for some help. Although if the house has already been wired up with linksys wireless adapters a linksys router would do better than a Dlink one. And i got this from experience, trust me...

lol don't waste your money on the router - gigabit ethernet won't do anything for you100 mbit = 12.5 MB/sec, which should be plenty. If you're hitting a consistent 50% of that in throughput that's when you need to look to upgradeI assume since you're CS majors you know too that cat5 was designed for 10/100 mbit and although I believe you can use it in a gigabit setup the right way to do things would be to wire it with cat5e or cat6 - network speed is determined by the highest common denominator - so the gigabit will only apply to your connection to each other - since your ISP probably offers you a connection somewhere in the neighborhood of 3mbits, as soon as you play with someone outside of your LAN your gigabit means nothing.Listen to the moderator, just get a 100 mbit router/switch and use switches instead of hubs if you need to run a lot of cable or splice a connection. I'm sure there is plenty of information out there on which routers/switches are low latency and suited for gaming, just go that route instead.

I think you should by good managed switch with 1/2 gigabit ports. To this gigabit port connect server and to next gigabit port you in future can connect neighbours switch to improve switch to switch performance. Gigabit ports to PC is waste of money and time =) It's really need when connect server to it. And if you have file server it's better to use 2 gigabits network cards connected to gigabit switch. (merge 2 nextwork cards and enjoy 2 gb/s ;))And you don't need to rewire your house. 100 mb connection uses 2 pairs of wair while there are 4 pairs. Only 1 gb connection need 4 pairs, so you easily can use 1 gb on old wires.

I can play all the latest games without problems with my 10/100 Dlink router (35$). There are 4 computers connected to the router.Find a smart way to waste your money.