xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vicious_AD

Dating Sims? If this is wrong subforum, please move

It seems that there really isn't a very big market for Bishoujo (pretty girl) dating sims in america. I don't understand why, when there are just as many lonely nerds here as there are in japan. I've played all of the dating sims on http://www.newgrounds.com/,'>http://www.newgrounds.com/, and it's just not cutting it. Does anyone know of any free dating sims available for download online? i think they're kinda fun.awe, noone? pity. Well maybe I should explain what they are to those of you who may not know just in case:You start out as a normal guy (seriously, they usually make your character as average and unimportant as possible, like a nerd with no real personality or something like that) and are going through the monotony of your life when you end up falling into some life changing event (i.e. you inherit a hotel full of pretty girls, you transfer to a school full of pretty girls, you move into a coed dorm with pretty girls, ect) and you have at least 3 characteristics to work on, which are usually something like strength, intelligence, and charm. Some guys like charming meat-heads, and some girls like brainiacks. It depends on the type of girl you're trying to persue (usually not more than 4 different girls, and they're all completely different) You do various things like go to the gyms and study to get characteristics up. You also have personality traits like playfulness and seriousness, similar to those of the sims). You meet the girls enough times and say the right things and have the right levels and give the right gifts and show up at the right places, ect until you get the girl(s) to like you, become your friend, and date you until (in the dirty versions) you get the "goods". I don't play the dirty ones, ebcause they're just all about the "goods" and not the things that make normal ones fun. Check 'e out. http://www.newgrounds.com/ has a few.

I've seen them on newgrounds, played one for 2.375 seconds... they sound to me like something that would be a mini-game in a real game and that I just find annoying. I don't know, if you enjoy them I'm sure they're great but they just seem pointless to me. I'd rather go out and hit on real girls... but thats just me... I like that whole "they exist" thing...However, I'm sure googling for that sort of thing would be the quickest way to find them... if they are popular in japan I'm sure someone has translated some of them, cause thats just what people do.

I've seen them on newgrounds, played one for 2.375 seconds... they sound to me like something that would be a mini-game in a real game and that I just find annoying. I don't know, if you enjoy them I'm sure they're great but they just seem pointless to me. I'd rather go out and hit on real girls... but thats just me... I like that whole "they exist" thing...

However, I'm sure googling for that sort of thing would be the quickest way to find them... if they are popular in japan I'm sure someone has translated some of them, cause thats just what people do.

1064336489[/snapback]

You'd think that they'd be popular in america too, and that googling would work, but you'd be wrong. That's what perplexes me. I don't really like the dating sims by themselves, but I like it when they are mini games. In truth, they do get boring as just plain games, but when added onto an rpg they're really fun, because it jsut seems to add more humanity to something generally nihilistic.

My guess would be they would carry an AO rating making them extremely hard to find sales outlets. I've heard about these programs in Japan. Apparently popular there. I am sure there are places that sell these products in the states, but they are also the kind of stores that require you to be 18 to enter and sell a number of other "novelty" items...

My guess would be they would carry an AO rating making them extremely hard to find sales outlets.  I've heard about these programs in Japan.  Apparently popular there.  I am sure there are places that sell these products in the states, but they are also the kind of stores that require you to be 18 to enter and sell a number of other "novelty" items...

1064336602[/snapback]

Hah. Novelty items... Nicely said. Well like I mentioned earlier, there are some that are of adult orientation and others that are not. Most, however are of adult content because let's face it, no one wants to play a game like that with no "reward' at the end. That's why I prefer when they're attached to rpg's as side quests... I suppose they're like cult classics, some thinkk they're kinda cool, and some think they're completely lame.

Before I start ranting I'd like to point out that I'm NOT trying to start a flame war here.As soon as americans start playing dating sims the world is coming to an end. The actual game is usually being presented with 4 or more options and having to choose one from them... That's the whole gameplay to it. You don't even need actual skill to play these games in terms of skill with handling mouse and keyboard. Basically, you're just choosing from 4 options and looking at some 2d flat image of some girl or whatever... :|...Someone explain to me what for crying out loud is the fun in those things :S@viciousGreat Teacher Onizuka rocks eh :)?

Before I start ranting I'd like to point out that I'm NOT trying to start a flame war here.

As soon as americans start playing dating sims the world is coming to an end. The actual game is usually being presented with 4 or more options and having to choose one from them... That's the whole gameplay to it. You don't even need actual skill to play these games in terms of skill with handling mouse and keyboard. Basically, you're just choosing from 4 options and looking at some 2d flat image of some girl or whatever... :|...

Someone explain to me what for crying out loud is the fun in those things :S

@vicious

Great Teacher Onizuka rocks eh :P?

1064336620[/snapback]

GTO does rock... best manga ever (sorry hunter X hunter! please forgive me!:))

I can agree with you, but simultaneously disagree. In an earlier post I said that they where much better as an addon to an rpg, in response to Jeigh's post. By themselves, you're right, they do take no skill whatsoever (most of them are really just based on simple logic, like when your choices of dialogue are "show me them hooters!" or "Pleased to meet you miss", which one do you think will get you a quick game over? lol) The entire purpose of them though is really go get the goodies at the end, but feel like you've somewhat earned them. That's why people enjoy them by themselves. I don't think very many people would openly admit to liking stand-alone ones with no goodies. Think, if you will, of final fantasy seven. I think that we can all agree that that was the best rpg ever, yes? (just try and argue about that! hee hee >.<) Well there where many instances in it where you had opportunities to "woo the two ladies" like when at one point, cloud had a flower and was able to give it to either the little girl (his partner's daughter) or one of the two girls that eh could get with. Although unnecessary to the storyline, it just adds a bit of realism to it. If anyone here has played fable, then they may or may not be familiar with the marriage system. In this system you can marry a random girl in a village by first seducing her, and then giving her a big fat expensive ring, and later moving in with her. Of course this has nothing in any way to do with the story line, but it just makes your character seem like a normal guy in a normal world, rather than a lifeless hunk of pixels in a two dimensional box, eh? I think that you are right about the fact that they are boring, but when they influence the personality of a character you've already grown to love and are surrounded by an already action packed game, then they get a little interesting. In response to the tidbit about the end of the world, nay, it will come when all decent mangas have been converted to anime form, and then stolen by america and put onto cartoon network, at which point they will be then converted to pure feces due to the horrible voice acting, editing out of all jokes my grandma wouldn't even find offensive, every little drop of blood from the battles, and every last japanese word is mispronounced. THEN the world will finally spiral into a little pit of yuppie oblivion =D

Hm... just realised that everyone has their own preferences, I guess that goes for games too.However I'm still wondering why Japanese are so fan of these games, at least, that is what I suspect since about every game is japan-made of some sort. Guess it has something to do with the culture, Americans are on the pr0n, Japanese on the datingsims :)

The game Pirates of the Caribbean has a community-made mod out that allows you to woo and eventually marry a governor's daughter. Yeah, the logic behind it is kind of lame... You say a seduction line, go out and rest for a day, say another one, rest, repeat a dozen or so times, and ask her to marry you and you're done. I downloaded the demo for Singles when it first came out, and had the chick in bed in a half an hour (real time, I'm sure game time it took a little while longer haha). Then I had them go at it with no food, water, or sleep for about 3 game days, and uninstalled the game because I was bored.I agree, on the side, it adds something to a game's believability and fun, but by itself, it doesn't do much for me. I've recently met a very nice young lady I've been going out with and I must say, real life beats the pants off of video games B)

The game Pirates of the Caribbean has a community-made mod out that allows you to woo and eventually marry a governor's daughter. Yeah, the logic behind it is kind of lame... You say a seduction line, go out and rest for a day, say another one, rest, repeat a dozen or so times, and ask her to marry you and you're done. I downloaded the demo for Singles when it first came out, and had the chick in bed in a half an hour (real time, I'm sure game time it took a little while longer haha). Then I had them go at it with no food, water, or sleep for about 3 game days, and uninstalled the game because I was bored.
I agree, on the side, it adds something to a game's believability and fun, but by itself, it doesn't do much for me. I've recently met a very nice young lady I've been going out with and I must say, real life beats the pants off of video games B)

Eh, reality is cool sometimes but often not.I'm a bit of an introvert, and the thing is, I'm also a teenager, which means that girl=whiny and obsessive and immature most of the time. so I don't pursue girls very much unless they're really really awesome

Eh, reality is cool sometimes but often not.I'm a bit of an introvert, and the thing is, I'm also a teenager, which means that girl=whiny and obsessive and immature most of the time. so I don't pursue girls very much unless they're really really awesome

Most of them don't grow out of it, sorry dude ;)

Seriously though, you know what burns me up? These poor nice girls stuck dating A**holes.

I'm sitting in a computer lab, workin on a VB project, and 3 computers down, this (very attractive) girl is on her cell phone, and some guy is SCREAMING at her though it. I should become a Morman so I can save all these girls away from that crap and show then that there are still nice guys around B):D;)

But thats something dating sims don't teach you, girls go for the "studs" not the "nerds" and therefor most of us are "**** out of luck" for getting the "hot girls"...no I have no clue why I used so many quotes thereBut yea, I assume dating sims in japan are like many other aspects between dif societies. Certain things just catch on and become more popular some places, and once something is popular that popularity often continues to grow. If it didn't catch on here at the beginning, they are doomed to lead a life of relative silence.

But thats something dating sims don't teach you, girls go for the "studs" not the "nerds" and therefor most of us are "**** out of luck" for getting the "hot girls"...

no I have no clue why I used so many quotes there

But yea, I assume dating sims in japan are like many other aspects between dif societies. Certain things just catch on and become more popular some places, and once something is popular that popularity often continues to grow. If it didn't catch on here at the beginning, they are doomed to lead a life of relative silence.

I disagree. I have proof that girls dig nerds as much as they dig "studs" in the form of two pictures. This may seem irrelivant, but is proving a point, in my opinion:

This, is my girlfriend;

Posted Image

Quite a babe, if I do say so myself B)

This, however, is me:

image is huge, so just look at it from here.

see the difference? I'm a complete nerd, and not exactly a looker either, yet somehow managed to get a super hottie. In the dating sims, the girls that don't dig nerds are usually really hot but are also shallow and uninteresting, and usually not very intelligent. The same principle holds true to reality. Would you really want to go out with a chick that spoke and acted and dressed exactly like nearly every other media influenced girl in america? always yacking on their tiny phones, blaring total crap on their ticktack-box sized ipod, every once in a while waving their hand covered with fake nails and curly letters that say "I love (insert dump template jock here)" at anyone that looks remotely /not/ like a human sheep, so that they can shout unintelligible things like "u be trippin dawg. omgwtf. lyke wateva" with their shirts that say "gangsta ho" or "cutie" or something else equally ignorant yet obvious? I just described almost every girl in my high-school. Of course there are many many pretty girls that aren't complete idiots, I'm not saying they all are, but the sad truth is that pretty people are usually raised being given waht they want and treated nicely simply because of their looks, so they gain a since of arrogance and apathy, and they lose their hopes of ever developing a real personality or intellect, which most people need to survive socially in the world.

I think that dating sims teach good skills. because eyecandy only lasts so long until the ants of annoyance chip away at it.