xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ccb_v2

No Fans, Cooking Oil...

That's just odd. I never thought about filling a case with cooking oil.Interesting that the other internal hardware didn't die. Hmm. Now every time my laptop starts getting noisy, I'm going to be tempted to go into my kitchen and get that big bottle of cooking oil I just bought yesterday. D'oh! *grins*

Heheh the oil submerged computer, we did something similar to this in my dorm room at uni, but we used motor oil instead and the internal hardware would not die Sarah because the propeties, density, and texture of oil as you know is a lubricant so if you get just the right density for the parts that need to turn, click, move and if they are able to do that with ease then it works liek a charm.. unfortunately we didnt use anything higher than a p1 processor just incase our calculations were wrong but it ran until the parts died due to natural causes lol.P.S The oil starts to smell after a bit

hm... Wonder what the temperature would be with a Presscot and quad SLI Geforce7800GTX'es. Would be funny if it would be hot enough to deepfry fries o something.It surprised me that the demi-water trick (they also tried that at toms hardware) didn't last longer than 5 minutes. I'd expected that one to work nicely too.

:D This is priceless ... I'm gonna forward this to all my friends. Now I know that cooking oil is non-conductive :D.

:D This is priceless ... I'm gonna forward this to all my friends. Now I know that cooking oil is non-conductive :D.

1064335798[/snapback]

Yeah, but you have to be careful, because there is oil that conducts. You have to make sure that the oil doesn't contain water (quite logic, but most people prolly don't think about it).

The biggest problem is that you'll have to run your hdd out of the oil box, that'll cause the pc not to be completely silent. You could seal the hdd in a bag or something, would be pretty cool.

Only thing I realy doubt about it the PSU. Is it submergable too or does is have too high currents flowing through it or maybe to higj frequencies???